Who’s Going To Wrigley?

Yes, just because a team plays in Soldier doesn't mean they are going to sell out. When I first saw the layout of the field in the pic at Wrigley, first thing that came to my mind was how close some fans are going to be seeing the field. And, the Wrigley is going to look more full than what Soldier would look.
Have you been to both places? Soldier has seats really close to the field. I don't really care about it that much, but you guys make it sound like that stadium is like putting 5K in the Rose Bowl. It's a small stadium with some of the closest seats to the field in the NFL. I don't love that stadium, fwiw, but it's an actual football stadium, with (likely) heated field. Remember the pinstripe bowl? Frozen baseball fields in late fall. fun.

I appreciate the passion for Wrigley. BTW I used to skip work in the afternoon and ride my bike over to Wrigley and catch baseball games. Love the place... for baseball.

With all of this passion for wrigley... are any of you actually going???

I might consider coming because I really enjoy Chicago. I would have to fly there, so I'm not sure I'll do it. Having said that, Chicago would be a great city to fly to without a car, stay downtown, and take the redline to addision. Super convenient and can also hang out downtown. Tempting but expensive for a weekend, for me.
Just before covid, I had a few years of semi-regularly flying in to Chicago and spending a couple days with colleagues in our office in the loop. I'd usually get one night alone (which feels like a goddamn vacation when you have young kids), and would check out different bars/restaurants. Ideally I'd sit at a bar and be able to watch part of a game I was interested in.

I might start doing that again once in awhile. Any recommendations in that area for places to check out?

Watching games in kinnick: the best, unless you're soft and hate people.
It is the best, but not for watching the game. For the atmosphere. Of which Soldier Field and the dump of a neighborhood it lies in...has none.

Unless one likes to walk around a boat parking lot to the east and a railyard that looks straight out of 1952 Omaha to the west.

Agreed.

One of the reasons the Pinstripe bowl sucks.

Also, remember powers-who-be at Wrigley wanted a yearly bowl game there? I believe Wrigley wanted like a 3-4 seed B1G team to play. Schools stated they'd much rather go to a warm-weather destination. The Cubs then refused to consider a lower-tier B1G team. Game over.
I remember our players sliding on frozen turf in the Pinstripe Bowl. It was like cement underneath. Players complained about it. I would imagine Wrigley isn't heated underneath? Or is it?

It is the best, but not for watching the game. For the atmosphere. Of which Soldier Field and the dump of a neighborhood it lies in...has none.

Unless one likes to walk around a boat parking lot to the east and a railyard that looks straight out of 1952 Omaha to the west.
Some of the seats are incredibly close to the field in kinnick. It's insanely loud, and it feels like you're in the action. I have watched games in many college venues. It's a good atmosphere and, depending on the seat, also have a great game watching experience. No, you don't get to watch replays on a 72 inch TV, but it's pretty awesome in my opinion. We can agree to disagree on that. I've been to a LOT of games in kinnick (250-300).

Just before covid, I had a few years of semi-regularly flying in to Chicago and spending a couple days with colleagues in our office in the loop. I'd usually get one night alone (which feels like a goddamn vacation when you have young kids), and would check out different bars/restaurants. Ideally I'd sit at a bar and be able to watch part of a game I was interested in.

I might start doing that again once in awhile. Any recommendations in that area for places to check out?
This is just my opinion, and I'm by no means an expert on dining/bars, but:

1. If you fly into Chicago, it's just super easy to stay downtown in the loop. I would take the L (orange) from Midway or Blue from O'Hare. You can basically just get a hotel in that area. I prefer a new modern one like Blu. From there, there are multiple dining/bar experiences within walking distance. I haven't been back in a few years, but I'm sure you can find whatever you want in that area. I always like to get a Lou Malnati's pizza when I get back because I love it. Also, from the loop, you can take a quick red line trip up to Wrigleyville if you like, and check out the bars/restaurants on Southport and Clark, which are a couple of blocks from the Red LIne stop at Addison (Wrigley). Lincoln Park is good. There's just a lot. I don't have a ton of experience with some of the good restaurants in the loop (and west loop). I guess it just depends on what you like, but there's a lot in walking distance if you plan it.

I wouldn't recommend staying in a hotel in the burbs, because then you're driving/parking (and parking is expensive there), and it's just a much less enjoyable experience, IMHO. Also, if you're drinking, you can just walk back to your hotel without worrying about driving!

Thanks. I'm just talking work trips, so I've usually stayed at Palmer House or wherever I can get at least an average price (that place is pretty reasonable for work travel mid-week and it is close to the office). Seems like I've hit a lot of the restaurants/bars within walking distance of there - I'm assuming I'm missing some, too.

This is just my opinion, and I'm by no means an expert on dining/bars, but:

1. If you fly into Chicago, it's just super easy to stay downtown in the loop. I would take the L (orange) from Midway or Blue from O'Hare. You can basically just get a hotel in that area. I prefer a new modern one like Blu. From there, there are multiple dining/bar experiences within walking distance. I haven't been back in a few years, but I'm sure you can find whatever you want in that area. I always like to get a Lou Malnati's pizza when I get back because I love it. Also, from the loop, you can take a quick red line trip up to Wrigleyville if you like, and check out the bars/restaurants on Southport and Clark, which are a couple of blocks from the Red LIne stop at Addison (Wrigley). Lincoln Park is good. There's just a lot. I don't have a ton of experience with some of the good restaurants in the loop (and west loop). I guess it just depends on what you like, but there's a lot in walking distance if you plan it.

I wouldn't recommend staying in a hotel in the burbs, because then you're driving/parking (and parking is expensive there), and it's just a much less enjoyable experience, IMHO. Also, if you're drinking, you can just walk back to your hotel without worrying about driving!
Staying downtown is quadruple the price for everything. The whole reason you get a hotel in the “burbs” is because it’s cheaper. You can get a room at a chain motel for like $90-100 and downtown you’re going to pay $400 minimum after you pay the 30% taxes and mayor's extortion fees. I'll give you a pass since you live in California, you guys probably have a 115% overall tax rate there.

You can pay for a whole lot of parking for that difference.

Have you been to both places? Soldier has seats really close to the field. I don't really care about it that much, but you guys make it sound like that stadium is like putting 5K in the Rose Bowl. It's a small stadium with some of the closest seats to the field in the NFL. I don't love that stadium, fwiw, but it's an actual football stadium, with (likely) heated field. Remember the pinstripe bowl? Frozen baseball fields in late fall. fun.

I appreciate the passion for Wrigley. BTW I used to skip work in the afternoon and ride my bike over to Wrigley and catch baseball games. Love the place... for baseball.

I'm not completely against Soldier and all out in luv with Wrigley by any means. I was merely pointing out what I saw when I saw the layout. The fans on the one side of Wrigley would be relatively close but not any of the fans out in L field. As for viewing the game, that would suck. I can go either way on this. I'm not wanting in this pizz match. I was just stating observations from the pic, which was actually better than I thought it was. I agree having a game in a baseball stadium is like trying to shove a square thru a round hole.

Also, I would suspect there could be more risk and dangers to players, especially if the field is cold.

Hey, Isn't the Shed Aquarium in close proximity?

It's the first weekend in November, it shouldn't be the frozen tundra by then I'd hope.

They're not going to have heating coils under Wrigley Field for the same reason they didn't have them under Yankee Stadium.

Staying downtown is quadruple the price for everything. The whole reason you get a hotel in the “burbs” is because it’s cheaper. You can get a room at a chain motel for like $90-100 and downtown you’re going to pay $400 minimum after you pay the 30% taxes and mayor's extortion fees. I'll give you a pass since you live in California, you guys probably have a 115% overall tax rate there.

You can pay for a whole lot of parking for that difference.
If you can afford it, the experience of staying downtown is vastly superior. When I go on vacation, I want to have a good experience. Totally appreciate that people need to save money.

Don't know what your budget is, but theres some great AirBnB's withing walking distance of Wrigley.

Or if you stay near O Hare the blue line takes you into downtown, then you switch to the red line and get off a block from Wrigley
searching hotels last night were either sold out or plus $300 a night anywhere. worst case I train it home to North Aurora

searching hotels last night were either sold out or plus $300 a night anywhere. worst case I train it home to North Aurora
I booked a Rodeway Inn up on 41 for Fri/Sat, two queen beds for $192 after taxes and city blackmail.

Free cancellation if we decide to bail after the game rather than stay the night.

Yeah it ain't the Blu but it'll work for two 40 year old dudes to sleep for a couple hours.

I've been to a LOT of games in kinnick (250-300).
Hol’ up…

How old are you?

If my math is right that’s like 46 years and change of Iowa football, and that’s if you never missed a game. I’m gonna have to call bullshit on that one. Up until the mid 2000s we only played 6 home games a year. You might want to thumb through your scrapbook and recount.

I didn't say that the neighborhood around Soldier was great. I said that the football stadium is a better place to watch a football game.

My personal opinion... I think watching football games in baseball stadiums is not the best way to watch a football game. Feel free to disagree.

I love the Clark/Southport area, and am looking to find a way to get back there this year.

I totally agree that there are pros and cons to both venues, and that probably on the whole, the Wrigleyville area is much better for fans hanging out before and after the game, without a doubt.

I've been to events at both places, many times.

You didn't go to the Bon Jovi/Kid Rock concert at Soldier, though. Six dollar tickets for the upper deck way at the back. Best six bucks I have ever spent.

Hol’ up…

How old are you?

If my math is right that’s like 46 years and change of Iowa football, and that’s if you never missed a game. I’m gonna have to call bullshit on that one. Up until the mid 2000s we only played 6 home games a year. You might want to thumb through your scrapbook and recount.

He's older than me but not by much. I would bet he's been to 150-200 at Kinnick.