Who would be your coaching choice, if it happens?

If the vest were to come to Iowa it would only be for a pit-stop on the way to something bigger down the road. So no thanks. Give me someone who would want to be here for 10-15 years. Biels, Diaco, Mark Stoops...

Not to be that guy, but at this point I'm not sure I want someome that wants to be here 10-15 years or retire coaching the Hawkeyes. Isn't that the position that we are currently in where many see us on a downward spiral.

I would hope for someone who played in the program and understands what the Tiger Hawk represents. I want a coach who lives and breaths Iowa football. I want a coach who after a loss, does not look like he woke up from his nap. I want a coach who can go into a recruits home, look him in the eye, and tell the kid that he went to Iowa and it was the best decision of his life. I want a coach who wants to earn every cent on his contract and not take years off until his next contract is up. I want a coach who is not threatened with young new coaches with fresh new ideas. Most of all, I want a coach who wants to win as much as the fine fans that follow Iowa football.

No particular order

Mark Stoops
Bobby Stoops
Norvell
Farley
Holgorson (this intrigues me a lot)

I just don't like Biels, I know the guy was Uber successful at wisky, is now clicking at ark, and is aggressive....and has the tattoo, but I just think he's a doooosh. I can't resolve it. Sorry.

No particular order

Mark Stoops
Bobby Stoops
Norvell
Farley
Holgorson (this intrigues me a lot)

I just don't like Biels, I know the guy was Uber successful at wisky, is now clicking at ark, and is aggressive....and has the tattoo, but I just think he's a doooosh. I can't resolve it. Sorry.

Don't sweat it bro. I think petty fans deserve a petty coach. It's time we all sit back, spread our legs and endure the violation. If we close our eyes and fantasize, maybe we can even find a way to enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't sweat it bro. I think petty fans deserve a petty coach. It's time we all sit back, spread our legs and enjoy the violation. If we close our eyes and fantasize, maybe we can even find a way to enjoy it.

Don't like Biels. Many do, I get it and respect the opinion. I like the other 5 coaches I listed, did you see those? That isn't pettiness, it opinion.

KF may need to go sooner rather than later, I've been slow to accept it, I admit.

I have my opinon as well, you don't like it, that's OK though, you don't have to, 'Merica.

brah.

break the "Iowa guy" mold. Fry came from texas so the current AD wasn't concerned about "iowa guys", he wanted to win games. first game he threw a pass on the first play of the game and people literally stood up and cheered. It's time to start anew, no more "iowa guys", get someone who scores a ton of points. I don't care where he's from or how he does it. Iowa HAS talent, the current coach chooses not to use it or use it properly. That needs to change.

I agree! we need points! Maybe Kirk will have an epiphany in the off season and TRY to score. I don't want to see stats that this team was the 4th highest scoring team since Kirk has been here. Really? If you want to see offense, look at ohio st and michigan st. and wisconsin. Actually, look outside the Big Ten. Everyone agrees that this wasn't one of iowa's better defenses, but in MODERN day college football you have to score.

Don't like Biels. Many do, I get it and respect the opinion. I like the other 5 coaches I listed, did you see those? That isn't pettiness, it opinion.

KF may need to go sooner rather than later, I've been slow to accept it, I admit.

I have my opinon as well, you don't like it, that's OK though, you don't have to, 'Merica.

brah.

Dude, I'm with you. This is a great country because people like you are free to hate someone you've never met. It takes courage to call someone a doooosh on an anonymous message board knowing they will never read or respond to it. I run the Boys Club program in my city and honestly we need more guys like you to be mentors

My top two candidates would be Bret Bielema and Jim Tressel.

Of the two Tressel, would be easier to get as he is out of coaching. We can afford buy out, and we can afford to pay Tressel 4-5 million per year. He is a a coach that brings instant excitement, and credibility to the program, with recruits and with the fan base. He has a Big Ten back ground, and I am sure he is ready too get back into coaching.

Kirk Ferentz has been a solid coach, and tremendous representative of the University of Iowa, but let's not ride it into the ground like we did coach Fry, let's get together, and buy out Coach Ferentz, and bring in Coach Tressel.

University of Iowa go get coach Tressel!!!

Go Hawks!!

Bob Stoops

Dude, I'm with you. This is a great country because people like you are free to hate someone you've never met. It takes courage to call someone a doooosh on an anonymous message board knowing they will never read or respond to it. I run the Boys Club program in my city and honestly we need more guys like you to be mentors

I don't hate Biels, as you said, never met the guy. Didn't like some of the things he did at Wisky. maybe saying hes a doooosh is a little harsh, I apologize to you and him.

All that said, thanks for heading up the Boys Club, damn good organization that does a ton of good for young men that need positive role models.

I knew we had to have something we could agree on.

I don't want you to keep attacking me, as an anonymous poster, on an anonymous message board, and making me feel bad. So I will try to curb my harsh criticism of Brett, maybe he's a great guy. Ok.

I want to be able to stay around here on Hawkeyenation, and not get booted and have to come back as a different alt, that would suck.

Adieu.

The next coach needs to be offensive minded, not afraid to run up the score, and recruits huge offensive and defensive lines. Huge O and D lines.

I think you got to give Bret that first call. A lot of good names mentioned in this thread.

Would have to be Bielema. He would run the same type of offense that Wiscy runs because it fits Iowa as well. He would bring an attitude that frankly never existed at Iowa since KF took over. He would make excuses on the recruiting front(this is lil ol Iowa) He could sport his Iowa tat with pride on the sidelines.
I really wish this could happen.

My top choice would be Dana Holgorsen.

Four reasons--in order--I really like Holgorsen for Iowa:
1. He's an innovative, offense-first coach, and Iowa has seen the best days in program history (in the '20's, '50's, '80's, and '00's) when they have been among the nation's best offenses.
2. He has experience recruiting from power states like Texas and Florida to a non-power state like West Virginia. I think that would translate well to recruiting players from Texas, Florida, and Ohio to Iowa.
3. He has significant ties to the state of Texas, both as a coach himself and in his coaching "ancestors" (Hal Mumme, Mike Leach, and others).
4. He grew up in Iowa.

My only issue with this is who are you going to bring in as a DC. You have to be able to make the occasional stop. I am not looking for a sexier version of 8-4/7-5....I want more W(s). In the BIG you have to be able to play a little bit of D. Hiring Holgorsen feels like the BIG version of Kevin Sumlin. Yeah, it would be exciting for a couple years, but losing to Iowa St. 50-47 sucks just as bad as losing 20-17.

I want to hire Bret Bielema without a doubt. He is a good coach and he has a personality. Some hate it but you cannot deny that he has emotion with the game. Obviously Bob Stoops would be nice but I dont see that happening. I'm not that psyched about Mark Stoops. For me it really begins and ends with BB

Don't dismiss the Les Jepsen talk.

I never dismiss the Les Jespen talk. Or the Forbes talk for that matter. I can probably write another cool letter to Gary Barta if I need to.

Do you think Jim Caldwell would give college another try? He's almost 60, though.

This thread reminds me of a kid dreaming of getting an X-box (new fb coach) on Christmas morning. Knowing in his heart that it's going to be socks and underwear (Kirk Ferentz) like every year.

Latest posts