Who would be your coaching choice, if it happens?

My top choice would be Dana Holgorsen.

Four reasons--in order--I really like Holgorsen for Iowa:
1. He's an innovative, offense-first coach, and Iowa has seen the best days in program history (in the '20's, '50's, '80's, and '00's) when they have been among the nation's best offenses.
2. He has experience recruiting from power states like Texas and Florida to a non-power state like West Virginia. I think that would translate well to recruiting players from Texas, Florida, and Ohio to Iowa.
3. He has significant ties to the state of Texas, both as a coach himself and in his coaching "ancestors" (Hal Mumme, Mike Leach, and others).
4. He grew up in Iowa.

Second this. Imagine his offense with a strong Iowa defense and great play on both lines. Would be sweet

He's only 6 games over .500 in 4 seasons. I'll pass. Even though he is from my home town.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/dana-holgorsen-1.html

ArvadaHawk, take a seat. In that same 4 year span, where he has had his own guys and systems in place, Mr. Ferentz is only 2 games over .500. Oh, and this year, Holgorsen managed to beat Maryland and Iowa State. Plus, he kept it close with Alabama, Oklahoma and TCU and managed to beat Baylor as well. Ferentz, with his guys and systems, would have gotten annihilated by all of those teams and we already saw what he did against Maryland and Iowa State.

I want a coach in the Hayden Fry mold. Someone who played the game at a high level, who paid his dues in the lower levels of coaching and moved his way up the old fashioned way (by being successful), who is an innovative offensive-minded coach, and who has no ties to Iowa.

Whoever those coaches are, that's who I want to give serious consideration to....

I want a coach in the Hayden Fry mold. Someone who played the game at a high level, who paid his dues in the lower levels of coaching and moved his way up the old fashioned way (by being successful), who is an innovative offensive-minded coach, and who has no ties to Iowa.

Whoever those coaches are, that's who I want to give serious consideration to....

Hmmm. I think we should go after Sumlin. Pete Carroll might fit the bill as well. Or perhaps Jimbo Fisher.

I like Bielima, but I've always though the guy had a ceiling as to how far he could go...Conference championships, Yes.....National Championships, No. Not totally convinced about his X's and O's ability either.

I like Bielima, but I've always though the guy had a ceiling as to how far he could go...Conference championships, Yes.....National Championships, No. Not totally convinced about his X's and O's ability either.

If someone said to me, you can have Biels, or you can keep what you currently have. I'd take Biels in a second. Just knowing we'd never lose to the Cyclones again makes this an easy choice.

That thought crossed my mind. He's always had success at K-State, and that program was total garbage before he ever coached there. Just a question - does KSU have lower academic standards than Iowa? Could he have the same JUCO recruiting success at Iowa? (I don't know the answer, just throwing that out there)

I'm not sure about Tressel. He won at OSU, but recruiting would be more difficult at Iowa to say the least. If people hate KF's conservative style of play, it wouldn't be any better under JT.

Sorry, do not know the answer to that. But, his players do seem to last and graduate.

If someone said to me, you can have Biels, or you can keep what you currently have. I'd take Biels in a second. Just knowing we'd never lose to the Cyclones again makes this an easy choice.

I cannot stand BB, in fact, I think I loathe him. You just made an argument that I cannot find my way around though.

1. Stoops (holding out hope that maybe on his bucket list is to someday coach the Hawks and maybe he would simply be ready for a change after 16 years at OU).
2. Beliema (because if his ties and his proven success as a recruiter and head coach). He makes pretty good bank at Arkansas so it would cost a lot of cashola to lure him back.
3. Maybe Stoops at Kentucky

After that I really don't know who. For awhile I was intrigued by Bobby Diaco but hard to tell right now if he will jump start UConn again after only one season there.

Bielema is my first choice, but I'm not sure that's a realistic one. Mark Stoops is my top choice outside of Bielema, and I do think that would be realistic.

Are we going to regurgitate this thread again after we lose in the bowl game? Same thread. Same prospects. Not dissing or anything but I just find it funny how many times the who do you want as a new HC thread comes up.

Whoever it is I don't know if our current AD is the one I want to make that choice.

Other than that I'd love someone similar to Hayden who saw an opportunity to take a moribund program to higher levels. Except in this case it wouldn't be the complete reclamation project HF faced. Whether it's someone on Fry's coaching tree or not I care not. What I do want is for this coach to have a complete hard*n for Iowa football, and a drive to be the best.

Hmmm. I think we should go after Sumlin. Pete Carroll might fit the bill as well. Or perhaps Jimbo Fisher.

Wrong answer. Ken O'Keefe is the only answer to save Iowa football. Dude was a head coach, a OC (one we all wished we could have back), and is now a successful NFL position coach. Plus the number one reason to hire KOK is when he was asked this question, look who he left out of the answer.......

Which coach has had the biggest influence on your career?

O'Keefe: “It’s kind of funny because someone always told me you’re the sum total of the five people that you hang around the most. I think that’s pretty true of coaches and how they’d normally be influenced. So I think I’ve tried to take the best from every coach that I’ve had the opportunity to be around. I had these two great guys when I was like 10 years old coaching us, Ed Carliglio and Perry Feaman. These were two guys that, they showed you how football can be fun. They made football fun, so if I had to pick one coach or set of coaches I would have to go back to them. If they didn’t make football fun, I might not be here today. I think that’s what certainly coaches at that level have got to be doing for young people, is make it fun. Then you’ll have a chance to teach the other lessons that come along with the game.â€

1) Biels
2) B Stoops

You never know unless you ask...I'd prefer a new AD if GB doesn't have the Cajones and backing vote$ to pull the ties by Jan. 5th...I'd certainly have the feelers out with the agents of the short list yesterday....if for no other reason than to gain some info for when THAT inevitable day does happen.

If the vest were to come to Iowa it would only be for a pit-stop on the way to something bigger down the road. So no thanks. Give me someone who would want to be here for 10-15 years. Biels, Diaco, Mark Stoops...