Who would be your coaching choice, if it happens?

Just a question for all the Biels fans. Do you really think he would come to Iowa?

He has a tat of the tigerhawk on his leg. He'd come if:

1) We pay him what he's worth on the market.
2) He doesn't believe Arkansas will win a NC next year.

Give it up... Neither of the Stoops or Bielema would come to Iowa. So just check them off your list.

Seriously... what world are you in if you can't acknowledge that Oklahoma is a better program?

Arkansas and Kentucky play in the conference that most high profile high school athletes want to play in and believe it gives them a best chance at making it to the next level. Furthermore both coaches have momentum building and invested a couple years to build that momentum so why exactly would they want to leave to come to Iowa?

Think about it this way... Would you leave a management job for a growing company with a promising future to take a similar job at for a declining company that you worked in the factory for 20 years ago??

It doesn't make sense.

Which program is better isn't the highest priority for everyone. Woodbury didn't pick iowa over North Carolina because he thought we were the better program. He picked us because his love for the hawks was more important to him than which program was better.

Now you may not believe it's more important to Belima or Stoops but it doesn't matter because you're only guessing. But people really need to stop with the arguement that they won't come here because they are at a better program. And people should really stop calling people out for not realizing that Oklahoma is better than iowa because everyone already knows that.

Stoops wanted the iowa job over Oklahoma 16 years ago, he just couldn't wait around and risk losing both. Couple that with the fact that his wife and kids still run around the house on Saturdays in hawk gear yelling "go hawks!" I think it's at least possible he would come here.

Also if he always wanted to coach here, it seems strange to trade that dream for a few more years at a more prestigious school when you've already been there done that for 16 years.

Black sweater vest over a gold shirt. That would look pretty sharp on the sidelines.

I would puke if we hired him. He struggles to put away less talented teams almost as much as Kirk does. He still wins most of them but that's only because the talent gap is even bigger than the one's we have here.

Only OSU can get into trouble and come out way better off than they were before. Imagine if Kirk got fired for breaking the rules and we brought in Nick Sabin to replace him. Must be rough.

I think Barta could sell Mark Stoops because of the last name. Any other coach, no way. I think BB might listen about the Hawk job for a bit. But certainly more questionable whether he would want it. He's already done the Big 10 thing with Wisconsin and unlike Kentucky, you can win at Arkansas.

Bob Stoops would not consider the job. I don't think Bob Stoops is even a good fit for Iowa anymore. He's a good coach, sure, but he's won at Oklahoma, which is a pretty easy place to win at. He generally wins because he recruits better players than other teams. I'm not sure I want a coach who is used to that type of program coming to Iowa. Ferentz has one part of coaching at Iowa right--that is emphasizing player development and utilizing schemes that do not require high-end athleticism across the field. Stoops hasn't really had to worry about either for most of his coaching career.

You've pretty much convinced me with one post that Stoops isn't a very good fit. Well done.

Give it up... Neither of the Stoops or Bielema would come to Iowa. So just check them off your list.

Seriously... what world are you in if you can't acknowledge that Oklahoma is a better program?

Arkansas and Kentucky play in the conference that most high profile high school athletes want to play in and believe it gives them a best chance at making it to the next level. Furthermore both coaches have momentum building and invested a couple years to build that momentum so why exactly would they want to leave to come to Iowa?

Think about it this way... Would you leave a management job for a growing company with a promising future to take a similar job at for a declining company that you worked in the factory for 20 years ago??

It doesn't make sense.

Why wouldnt BB come back? He wouldn't have to go on tattoo nightmares to cover up the tigerhawk tat. And in case you didn't know Iowa is competing with all of the SEC teams to get players into the NFL. BB recruited Wisky just fine so he would do just fine in Iowa City.

Stoops wife is a die hard hawk fan,.....The family even cheers, "go hawks" every game day. Oklahoma is on a downswing so it might be time for a change of scenary. Plenty of coaches have changed teams and have been successful.

He has a tat of the tigerhawk on his leg. He'd come if:

1) We pay him what he's worth on the market.
2) He doesn't believe Arkansas will win a NC next year.

I didn't go so far as the tattoo, but Biels and I are similar in a lot of ways. A pair of fat guys, both Iowa grads., with a huge passion for Iowa football. However, when you're printing money like me and Biels., with the comforts of living in the South, moving back North into tougher work and climate conditions just doesn't seem that appealing anymore.

Just my take. I'd love to have to have the Big Hoss back in The City.

There's always the $$ aspect. Anybody know what Stoops pulls in at Oklahoma?

Bob Stoops (OK) is the 5th highest paid college football coach at $4.75 million.
Mark Stoops (KY) is is the 50th highest paid college football coach at $2.25 million.

Kirk is tied for the 10th highest paid coach at $4 million.

Interestingly, Hoke (Michigan) is higher than Kirk (7th at $4.3 million) and Franklin (Penn St) is the same as Kirk. Dantonio (Mich St) is #16 at $3.7 million.

By the way, Biels is #30 at $3 million.

Source: http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm

Who is the OC at Ohio State? Tom Herman I think.

The guy who used to be the OC at Iowa State, then went to OSU when Meyer became the head coach.

I didn't go so far as the tattoo, but Biels and I are similar in a lot of ways. A pair of fat guys, both Iowa grads., with a huge passion for Iowa football. However, when you're printing money like me and Biels., with the comforts of living in the South, moving back North into tougher work and climate conditions just doesn't seem that appealing anymore.

Just my take. I'd love to have to have the Big Hoss back in The City.

Can you call Arkansas the south? It's 27 degrees there today! Surely winning the West here is much easier than winning the West there. And you cannot beat Iowa pork and beef!

It doesn't make sense.

This is spot on and Tressell would never come here either.

My top two candidates would be Bret Bielema and Jim Tressel.

Of the two Tressel, would be easier to get as he is out of coaching. We can afford buy out, and we can afford to pay Tressel 4-5 million per year. He is a a coach that brings instant excitement, and credibility to the program, with recruits and with the fan base. He has a Big Ten back ground, and I am sure he is ready too get back into coaching.

Kirk Ferentz has been a solid coach, and tremendous representative of the University of Iowa, but let's not ride it into the ground like we did coach Fry, let's get together, and buy out Coach Ferentz, and bring in Coach Tressel.

University of Iowa go get coach Tressel!!!

Go Hawks!!

No Fn way do we want Tressel... Taking his unceramonial divorce from OSU out of it his style of play and demeanor is what we don't want and are trying to replace.... That'd be nuts.

I'd want Brett B first. I think Bob Stoops wouldn't come. I think Brett would. And his style of play with a pro style tough running game being his mantra is great plus he's nasty. He has a cut throat attitude about him. If he can run up the score he's going to do it. No more playing down to the level of competition. He's like Fry in that way. He's like that in recruiting and we certainly need that. He's not out there to make friends. I think he could put a similar run together at Iowa as he did at Wisky and even if it's not a ten year run who amongst us wouldn't be up for 6-8 years of what Wisky got while he was there? I'd take that in a heart beat over the last 10 yrs of what we've had. Not worried about the money Iowa has the money to pay him whatever it'd take and Ferentzs buyout. With the TV money coming in pfff. Iowa is in the top what 15 of all money generators? Please money is not the issue. To delay the inevitable would be just saying your ok with 7-8 wins to what? Be financially prudent towards an athletic department that has money coming out of their ears already. Child please.... Not one person in this school is going to miss a meal if they were to suck it up and pay Ferentz to leave and pay to hire a new coach. Nebraska is now. Lets be bold wear gold and move this program on in a positive direction and not continue the status quo.

Bielema, I say hand him a blank check. If we can't get him, then don't even bother getting rid of Ferentz.

As for the whole Mark Stoops thing, he *may* become a good coach someday, but what has he proven so far? Look at the last 10 years of Kentucky football and try and convince me that he's turned the program around from despair.... In the last 10 seasons Kentucky has been in 5 bowl games (under Rich Brooks and Joker Phillips), Stoops is 0 for 2. So Stoops has his "name" and he's brought in a couple of good recruiting classes, but the wins haven't happened yet, and this was a DOWN year for the SEC East. It's not like he took over a dumpster fire, when he accepted the job they had been to a bowl game 5 out of their previous 7 seasons. Someone please convince me he's a great candidate.......

2005: 3 - 8
2006: 8 - 5
2007: 8 - 5
2008: 7 - 6
2009: 7 - 6
2010: 6 - 7
2011: 5 - 7
2012: 2 - 10
2013: 2 - 10 MARK STOOPS
2014: 5 - 7 MARK STOOPS

Dave Doeren - should be included on the shopping list especially if he can continue the turnaround at NC State next year. If he does I wouldn't expect him to last long before bigger fish come looking. He is a good fit for Iowa. Coached on the Bielema staff at WI for awhile. Heck bring in Bielema as the AD and let the two work together again :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Doeren

Dave Doeren - should be included on the shopping list especially if he can continue the turnaround at NC State next year. If he does I wouldn't expect him to last long before bigger fish come looking. He is a good fit for Iowa. Coached on the Bielema staff at WI for awhile. Heck bring in Bielema as the AD and let the two work together again :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Doeren

D. Bulldog if I recall correctly.

Bielema, I say hand him a blank check. If we can't get him, then don't even bother getting rid of Ferentz.

As for the whole Mark Stoops thing, he *may* become a good coach someday, but what has he proven so far? Look at the last 10 years of Kentucky football and try and convince me that he's turned the program around from despair.... In the last 10 seasons Kentucky has been in 5 bowl games (under Rich Brooks and Joker Phillips), Stoops is 0 for 2. So Stoops has his "name" and he's brought in a couple of good recruiting classes, but the wins haven't happened yet, and this was a DOWN year for the SEC East. It's not like he took over a dumpster fire, when he accepted the job they had been to a bowl game 5 out of their previous 7 seasons. Someone please convince me he's a great candidate.......

Try paying attention to the games...They went from getting blown out to winning games and being competitive. 3 wins improvement is a pretty big deal. If Iowa wins 3 more games next year they will hit 10. Kentucky and Vanderbilt used to be on the same level...Now only Vandy is a lock for the cellar now that Franklin is gone.

1. Bret Bielema (Arkansas HC)
2. Mark Stoops (Kentucky HC)
3. Bob Stoops (Oklahoma HC)
4. Pat Narduzzi (Michigan State DC)
5. Craig Bohl (Wyoming HC)
6. Jim McElwain (Colorado St. HC)
7. Jim Leavitt (SF 49ers LB Coach)
8. Mike Norvell (Arizona State OC)

Seriously I was looking at those records and thought they were ours. Thats sad. I threw out Mark earlier in the year when they were getting a lot of run but the more I think about it Biels would be top. I still think should Joe Philbin gets chipped off he would be beyond a shadow of a doubt miles ahead of Kirk and his mind. I get a bit worried about SDSU's coach cause he just took over from Jerry Kill a couple years ago didn't he? Those type of programs seem to run themselves which is why I'd be hesitant about hiring one of those cats (see Brady Hoke).

Latest posts