Who will start at running back in 2017?

• Eno

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Akrum

Votes: 51 92.7%
  • Other (post in thread)

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
It will be Daniels until Daniels gets hurt in game 2. Then it will be Wadley until Wadley gets hurt in game 3. Then it will be Mitchell in game 4. Then Wadley will come back and start game 5, and will have his annual 200 yard game against NW. Then Wadley will start but get hurt again in game 6. Then some no-name freshman will start game 7. Then Daniels will come back and start games 8 and 9. Then Wadley will start game 10. Daniels game 11, Mitchell game 12, Wadley game 13, then Daniels games 14 and 15.

EDIT: Never mind. I did not catch that this was supposed to be for year 2017.

Last edited:
Daniels won't be here as this is his senior year and I'm pretty sure Mitchell transferred. I wouldn't sleep on Toren Young either. He was a machine his senior year picking up nearly 200 yards in 1st half of games and sitting out 2nd half. I'll still say Akrum barring injury. I only see him getting better.

Daniels won't be here as this is his senior year and I'm pretty sure Mitchell transferred. I wouldn't sleep on Toren Young either. He was a machine his senior year picking up nearly 200 yards in 1st half of games and sitting out 2nd half. I'll still say Akrum barring injury. I only see him getting better.
Mitchell is still here, and I don't see him transferring. He's carved himself a nice position as a 3rd down back, and could replace Daniels next year as the power guy to Wadley's speed.

I think Eno redshirts in 2017, as we have those 2 plus Akinribade and Young coming in this year, and assumes the starting role in 2018.

it will be Wadley, dudes going to have a monster year this year. Mitchell is a junior now so why would he transfer?

Mitchell is still here, and I don't see him transferring. He's carved himself a nice position as a 3rd down back, and could replace Daniels next year as the power guy to Wadley's speed.

I think Eno redshirts in 2017, as we have those 2 plus Akinribade and Young coming in this year, and assumes the starting role in 2018.
I personally think there is no way Eno red shirts . He wouldn't have signed here if he was gonna redshirt. He could have gone multiple places and started as a true frosh. Would make no sense to bring in a 4* and then redshirt him.

I personally think there is no way Eno red shirts . He wouldn't have signed here if he was gonna redshirt. He could have gone multiple places and started as a true frosh. Would make no sense to bring in a 4* and then redshirt him.
It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't, but we have a glutton of talent at the RB position now and upcoming (knocks on wood furiously), so who knows.

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't, but we have a glutton of talent at the RB position now and upcoming (knocks on wood furiously), so who knows.
I agree that we have a lot of talent, and KF doesn't play a lot of frosh but I think Eno plays. You can never have enough RB. I'm guessing he plays the role of akrum 2015.

Good question.... And my answer is no idea... There's Toks, Young, in this years class too. Plus the Illinois kid next yr along with Eno. In a perfect world Wadley stays healthy and has a Tavian Banks type of SR year. I just wouldn't bet the farm on it. But if he stays healthy and plays well along with Michell, Toks and Young there wouldn't be many other touches to be had. So there's an outside shot that Eno could RS. I don't think he'd want to. And if he's as good as advertised it'll be impossible to not put him out there. So the competition at that position will be fierce and that benefits the program. Whomever all is out there we know will be good and the future looks bright

It should be Wadley but with KF who knows. Contrary to NFL draftees and reputation, the line doesn't always make much of a running lane, thus more injuries. A predictable play scheme is a big issue in that.

It should be Wadley but with KF who knows. Contrary to NFL draftees and reputation, the line doesn't always make much of a running lane, thus more injuries. A predictable play scheme is a big issue in that.
Play close attention to about the 3:50 mark... All these runs were this year not counting what Wadley and Daniels did. They carved out plenty of lanes where the RBs were untouched getting to the 2nd and 3rd level. If your expecting them or any line to do it all the darn time that's pretty unrealistic. But they did as good of a job as any Iowa team going back aways...

Play close attention to about the 3:50 mark... All these runs were this year not counting what Wadley and Daniels did. They carved out plenty of lanes where the RBs were untouched getting to the 2nd and 3rd level. If your expecting them or any line to do it all the darn time that's pretty unrealistic. But they did as good of a job as any Iowa team going back aways...
yeah I was scratching my head a little bit on his comment too. I mean if anything we struggled to pass block last year. But run block? We had 3 different running backs have monster games last year. You just don't do that with an offensive line that doesn't carve out running lanes. Our running backs were good but it's not like we had Barry Sanders, Walter Peyton, and Emmitt Smith back there.

Why did you pick the screen name HawkGold? You should have gone with HawkSourPuss.

I was speaking historically and the predictability has been a problem. Sorry you can't notice things CJ is the reason the lanes were opened up last year. It pulls the linebackers off playing the run. Historically speaking, play the run and you beat the Hawks. Not with CJ, not with Banks. My comment wasn't a knock on the line. It was a critique of play calling. Maybe you haven't been following the Hawks under KF very long. Iowa has had an amazing number of RB injuries. Some in part is due to play calling and failure to carve out running lanes.

The pass blocking wasn't that bad last year. The Hawks lacked speed at receivers (note RECEIVERS not receiver)

I was speaking historically and the predictability has been a problem. Sorry you can't notice things CJ is the reason the lanes were opened up last year. It pulls the linebackers off playing the run. Historically speaking, play the run and you beat the Hawks. Not with CJ, not with Banks. My comment wasn't a knock on the line. It was a critique of play calling. Maybe you haven't been following the Hawks under KF very long. Iowa has had an amazing number of RB injuries. Some in part is due to play calling and failure to carve out running lanes.

The pass blocking wasn't that bad last year. The Hawks lacked speed at receivers (note RECEIVERS not receiver)
I read it as you bashing the o-line, if that wasn't the case, I apologize. I agree with you on CJ. When JR was our QB, opposing defenses would stack the box and that would make it difficult for any team to run. Jake was a pretty good QB at Michigan because he had nice receivers. If he could just run the play and make the throw to an open receiver he was fine. When you don't have Michigan's talent at the skill positions, you have to improvise a little more.

I think Wadley should be the main back. But it will be Daniels until he gets injured or starts hesitating like he usually does.

Sorry maybe you should have called yourself HawkButDontWatchTheGames
Seems to me 2 of our most successful years we didn't run the ball well at all, and didn't have Banks or CJ at QB. Maybe go back and watch some YouTube games of the 2004 and 2009 seasons, both were very exciting and couldn't possibly happen according to you.

Also LOL if you think teams didn't try to shut down our run game last year. Another LOL if you think our running lanes were opened up by CJ.

I read it as you bashing the o-line, if that wasn't the case, I apologize. I agree with you on CJ. When JR was our QB, opposing defenses would stack the box and that would make it difficult for any team to run. Jake was a pretty good QB at Michigan because he had nice receivers. If he could just run the play and make the throw to an open receiver he was fine. When you don't have Michigan's talent at the skill positions, you have to improvise a little more.

He was bashing everything, but that is what he does. He still thinks it is Jan 2014 or something