Who wants the ball at the end when it is close?

Foval21

Mike Gesell...I don't care if he isn't the best scorer or the best ft percentage on the team. He is the guy. He has ice in his veins. He just got his confidence back against a weak team. I now think he will start doing similar things against the top teams.

you saw that with his last-minute drive in ames

he's the quickest and most athletic kid on the roster, and his instincts are spot on. he knows when he has the step and he takes it.

another year of strength and he's going to finish with contact consistently

just has to get the shooting touch from 3 and the foul line, and he'll shred defenses next year

i think Mike definitely has what it takes to be a great PG. slowly putting it all together. going to be super awesome by his senior year is my prediction.

he's the quickest and most athletic kid on the roster, and his instincts are spot on. he knows when he has the step and he takes it.

just has to get the shooting touch from 3 and the foul line, and he'll shred defenses next year

agreed on that last part. a little more consistent from deep and he has the quickness to burn you to the hoop when available.

I think the big thing is he doesn't fear the big moment or worry about losing if he misses he does what he can and just lives with the outcome. It seems like marble is worried about failure in the late moments and isn't as decisive as he is earlier in games.

I think the big thing is he doesn't fear the big moment or worry about losing if he misses he does what he can and just lives with the outcome. It seems like marble is worried about failure in the late moments and isn't as decisive as he is earlier in games.

Marble is fine. MG did a good job closing out the game by wanting the ball and it matched up with Purdue's philosophy of fouling him because of his struggles at the line. MG showed what he is made of.

definitely foval

mike has no conscience about sticking the knife in

and -- we're going to have fun watching him play drive and kick with ogs next year

Him driving it or him with the drive and kick to Oges. Tired of Marble Iso. Doesn't work. Never has. I wouldn't go as far to say he has ice in his veins yet... gotta make those in Ames...

Him driving it or him with the drive and kick to Oges. Tired of Marble Iso. Doesn't work. Never has. I wouldn't go as far to say he has ice in his veins yet... gotta make those in Ames...

Worked today for a JO 3. Also worked when he drove and finished over Hammonds. Does it work every time? Nope. Never has? Nope.

Marble is fine. MG did a good job closing out the game by wanting the ball and it matched up with Purdue's philosophy of fouling him because of his struggles at the line. MG showed what he is made of.

I never said marble wasn't fine...just that he isn't the end of game guy. I think that has been proven over the last 2 yrs...he tried because we had no one else step up and they deferred to him. But now mg has taken that step. Watch closely at those fouls and mg was the guy we were trying to get the ball to. So Fran wasn't worried about the ft percentage. Purdue wanted him shooting fts...ok seemed like he wanted it too and seemed like the coaching staff for Iowa wanted it too. I want the guy who whether he wins or loses on the last shot walks off with his head high and that is mg...did it at isu and against Purdue...one a loss and one a win.

Worked today for a JO 3. Also worked when he drove and finished over Hammonds. Does it work every time? Nope. Never has? Nope.

Plz tell me when Marble has made a game tying shot or game winning shot in a big situation... pretty much safe to say its never happened.

I never said marble wasn't fine...just that he isn't the end of game guy. I think that has been proven over the last 2 yrs...he tried because we had no one else step up and they deferred to him. But now mg has taken that step. Watch closely at those fouls and mg was the guy we were trying to get the ball to. So Fran wasn't worried about the ft percentage. Purdue wanted him shooting fts...ok seemed like he wanted it too and seemed like the coaching staff for Iowa wanted it too. I want the guy who whether he wins or loses on the last shot walks off with his head high and that is mg...did it at isu and against Purdue...one a loss and one a win.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but IMO if Iowa uses the rotations and the minute distribution we saw today we don't lose 3 in a row.

All the good ones will lose a few too. Ice in his veins means he isn't afraid to put it in himself. When he missed at isu he didn't put his head down and sulk he was confident he made the right decision and it just didn't work. I think he was the right guy at isu and would take that again. He isn't afraid to fail and the guys who are the best know they will fail at some point but still will take the big shots. And they will hit some and miss some.

The first foul by Purdue was yelled at by Painter to foul MG with an easy inbound pass with 45 seconds to go. Had nothing to do with who Iowa was getting the ball to. MG knocked down the FTs. He did a great job today. But let's not pretend like he was the only guy trying to get the ball. Purdue's strategy was to foul the 60 some % shooter who was 1-4 on free throws up to that point of the game. I am glad Purdue did it because MG showed he was up to the task.

As for Marble, he made play throughout the game (including late) that also helped with the win.

Plz tell me when Marble has made a game tying shot or game winning shot in a big situation... pretty much safe to say its never happened.

Sort of remember a dunk over Sampson of Minnesota that sealed that game. I could go on, but your memory (no hard dunks, remember that one?) is not that good.

Never been a big fan of the marble clear out play ...but it looked good today got the and one, also had nice assist to JO

He's made a couple clutch shots. He's also prolly only 5% on those. Many many many more times he has turned it over in the paint or thrown up a **** shot. Multiple times in one game he's done it. He had a great look against Msu and couldn't do it. He isn't clutch and tries to do too much in the situation. We've seen it all year. I liked to see MG and JO get the dagger today instead of trying to give it to Marble.

The first foul by Purdue was yelled at by Painter to foul MG with an easy inbound pass with 45 seconds to go. Had nothing to do with who Iowa was getting the ball to. MG knocked down the FTs. He did a great job today. But let's not pretend like he was the only guy trying to get the ball. Purdue's strategy was to foul the 60 some % shooter who was 1-4 on free throws up to that point of the game. I am glad Purdue did it because MG showed he was up to the task.

As for Marble, he made play throughout the game (including late) that also helped with the win.

Name a game he has won by knocking down a shot or fts late (less than 1 min). He hasn't done it. He is great player. But he hasn't done it late in tight games. That is what Iowa has been needing since gatens graduated. Marble tried but couldn't get it done. I believe gesell has taken steps to become that guy. In a few yrs I could be proven wrong but marble the last 2 yrs has Proventil hat he isn't that guy. It isn't his fault he is who he is and he does a lot of good things. That just isn't one of them.

Latest posts