Who stays and who goes

clim3

I wonder how many more hit the portal or if folks hit the NFL path? Any opinions. Our biggest loss last year may have been when Mark K decided to step away. Hopefully our young linemen put in some weight and gained from the experience.
i Hope Campbell sticks around but not sure he will

hope we hit the portal too

Honestly, you have to wonder about the motivation to come back for some of these players. A 10/11 win season: check. A West Division title: check. Playing in a BTen Championship game: check. I mean, from a program perspective, they've brought the program probably to its peak. They've done a lot for the program and university...now it's time to take care of themselves.

I think Tracy is gone. I've heard Goodson is going to test the NFL waters. One of the QBs is probably going to leave

Linderbaum should leave with his accolades plus hasnt he started for 3 years now? If so that is a lot of games.

Campbell, I am not so sure. He missed two games last year so he only played 6 games and he has had a great year this year with what will be 14 games, so about 2 full seasons worth. But I heard, maybe on The Heartland or some other place, he is big time friends and Bible class partners with Benson. If Benson is around next year maybe Campbell wants to have a third really great year to raise his draft status.

I think Jones can come back and he might to prove his returner level skills are for sure there and to get more time at receiver. I could see him being a slot receiver type in the NFL and filling a return position roster spot and even covering kicks on punts and kickoffs. NFL needs guys like that with their smaller roster numbers. I not sure if Moss has time left but I doubt he stays as he has had nearly 4 full years of playing time. Schott looked like he was somewhat limping off the field late against Mich so he might not be back

Portal: Tracy (FWIW he threw a few great blocks on Saturday, including on Jones' jet sweeps), Padilla, Lawson, Craddieth, Bracy, Britt, Vines

Draft: Goodson (50/50 but what does he really gain from returning other than injury risk?), Moss, Linderbaum, Belton

Campbell has some awful looks on tape that he will need to clean up in relation to pass coverage and general change of direction. Honestly he would be a better fit as a 3-4 OLB.

LaPorta could move up considerably with more consistent hands/body position. He should look at that box out and one-handed grab the Michigan tight end had on Belton for inspiration.

Portal: Tracy (FWIW he threw a few great blocks on Saturday, including on Jones' jet sweeps), Padilla, Lawson, Craddieth, Bracy, Britt, Vines

Draft: Goodson (50/50 but what does he really gain from returning other than injury risk?), Moss, Linderbaum, Belton

Campbell has some awful looks on tape that he will need to clean up in relation to pass coverage and general change of direction. Honestly he would be a better fit as a 3-4 OLB.

LaPorta could move up considerably with more consistent hands/body position. He should look at that box out and one-handed grab the Michigan tight end had on Belton for inspiration.
You don't leave early to possibly get drafted in the 6th round. If he's not here, it's through the portal, but I expect he will be back.

Eno didn't think he was going in the seventh round.
I don't think TGood will expect to do so either. They are pretty similar backs in terms of size, skillset, and production. What could he really do to turn himself into a Day 2 guy? Only thing I can think is IF Iowa makes some offensive scheme changes and Goodson can highlight his versatility in the pass game.

But like I said, 50/50. Portal is an interesting thought too, especially with how it went for Walker at MSU. But it's a huge risk to give up a starting position for one more year of college ball.

Hopefully we don’t lose any of the youngsters. It’s imperative we get the young guys into the offense during the bowl game. We need the receivers to feel like they have a future here at Iowa. Iowa has to have a game plan to use them.

I am not sure what happened to Tracy to go from 36 catches in 2019 to 5 catches in 2021. Did Petras just not like throwing to him? Did having ISM and Smith give Tracy more chances to get open in 2019? Did all the drops catch up to Tracy?

One of the advantages of the way Iowa recruits is you don’t get a lot of guys thinking they’re going to be All Americans and leaving when they aren’t featured.

You don't leave early to possibly get drafted in the 6th round. If he's not here, it's through the portal, but I expect he will be back.
Geno Stone did I don't think anyone projected him being a 5th rounder or higher guy but he went anyway... Some guys actually do nowadays and with RBs it actually makes some sense.

RBs only have so many hits and touches on their odometers. The more of those they can get paid to take the better. I'm not predicting Goodson leaving but I wouldn't be surprised if he does. He can look to the season Sargent is having now bouncing around on practice squads as to what he can expect. Not sure what he's getting paid to do that but is that worth it to Goodson or not? Only he can answer that

Today I saw a since deleted tweet by Nebraska Hawks Nest about a player who may leave and circumstances surrounding it. It was a gross rumor and unfit for a public forum. I think his 8 year old kid got a hold of the account. Or the that guy has no sense of maturity. Did anyone else see this. ?

Attachments

• 1639093459068.png
    1639093459068.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 23
Max Johnson and his brother ain't coming to Iowa.:) So the eventual loser of the Padilla/Petras battle is likely gone.

Latest posts