Who needs to contribute immediately?

This whole team is going to be better than everyone expected. Lick has "his guys" and people that want to be here playing for Iowa.

This was my favorite part of the Tucker article on hawkeyesports.com:

Despite the challenge of familiarizing new players with Lickliter's system, Tucker thinks that this group has an advantage that is characteristic of winning teams: strong chemistry.
"I feel like we're a little bit more tight-knit than we were last year. I think people had different visions for what they were going to be doing next year even during the season last year, so it kind of came apart," said Tucker, "This year I think these are all guys that want to be here and we're all pretty close actually."

My initial reaction is Cully Payne (like I think most of us) but I think we will need a big impact from a down low presence. I was initially hoping Archie and Coughill could both contribute but with Archie's injury it looks like more weight will be put on Cougill's shoulders. I am anxious to see Cougill again, I've heard reports that he is in better shape so hopefully he will have quicker feet and get into better position.

One quick note, I am a student here in Iowa City and I see these guys together A LOT always having a good time. I know this is the least reliable source and maybe I just see them at the right times, but all signs point to the great chemistry that other posters have mentioned.

Tucker is going to shine this year. I don't think most people realize just how good he is.

For those who feel Iowa lacks a "go-to" man, Tucker fills the bill. "Go-to" almost seems anti-Licikliter, since he is all about TEAM, but Tucker is a guy who will get his shot and will shoot a high percentage.

My biggest question with this group is can they guard?

Glad someone mentioned Bawinkle. We seem to be forgetting about him. I'm assuming he'll start, at least early, because of his familiarity with the system and his 3-point shooting. I'd say he has to contribute early for this team to get going.

I thought Bawinkle's role has always been understood to be the guy who comes in off the bench when we need a spark with shooting.

I thought Bawinkle's role has always been understood to be the guy who comes in off the bench when we need a spark with shooting.
You're probably right. He only started 9 times last season. I just thought that because he was a captain and was experienced in the system, he would start early on.

He might end up starting. I was always under the impression Bawinkle started last year becasue we were so decimated by injuries. But his intended role was to be that of a quality sub-in.

I'm personally excited to see what May can do. He seems like another Adam Huluska. Very athletic. Can take it to the hole and shoot from the outside. How well he defends will tell us his playing time.

Every one of you who has not yet made their contribution to the Arena enhancement program needs to do so immediatly. Your financial contribution is very important!

Latest posts