Who needs to contribute immediately?

Of the new faces, who in your opinion has to contribute significantly right away in order to be competitive?

-c.Payne
-May
-Coughill
-Arch(once healthy)

I suppose the obvious answer is Cpayne but i just wanted to see what everyones thoughts might be

Payne... no question. However, since we haven't seen Tucker since December of last year I think his "new face" on the court will have the biggest impact.

I was going to say Archie too as he seems to at least be the athletic missing piece on the defensive end.

Payne's going to be given the ball early so we'll see how he handles it.
________
CoedJenny69 live

Last edited:
Spank, just how good is Payne ? I have been hearing good things about how he is doing. Didnt know if it is just hype or if he can give us 25-30 min a game at the point.

Payne is good. All that he is cracked up to be.

He is more than able to give 25-30 mins a game. I would be shocked if he wasn't the starting PG from day 1 for his entire 4 year career.

Spank, just how good is Payne ? I have been hearing good things about how he is doing. Didnt know if it is just hype or if he can give us 25-30 min a game at the point.

HawkeyeBB (above) knows a lot about Payne's game (likely much more than I). The little I have seen of Cully really has shown me that he is legit. He's not spectacular at this stage, but he is solid. He has the "IT factor" (I know every hates that being brought up, but it's true). If he can stay healthy and limit mistakes (his biggest problem as a true frosh), he will allow Tucker to move to the 2 full-time. That would be nice.

I have a full belly of Iowa BB koolaid. WHY? I think we roll in the OOC schedule. No way undefeated but strong.

Here comes the false hope and then B10 reality sets in.

Strong start
OK middle
Fade in the late season

Sounds like a team that has some holes and loses steam in the end.

CP, AT, MG, DB and JC will carry us early. Lack of depth hurts us late.

I am ready for the return of Iowa Hawkeye basketball. No doubt that TL is the one to lead us there!

Go HAWKS!

Tucker.

The Archie injury means either we stay with the undersized Cole at C, or we try Cougill there and move the newly three-point-capable Cole to the 4. If Cole goes to the 4, we can move Fuller up to the 3, which moves Gatens to the 2 and Tucker to PG. That lineup gives us 5 shooters and really opens up things on the offensive end... but Tucker has to be ready to handle the PG spot.

If Cougill isn't ready, Payne had better be, because then Cole stays at 5, Fuller at 4, Gatens at 3 and Tucker at 2... unless Bawinkel starts at the 3, in which case Tucker could still end up at PG.

However, if Payne really is ready to handle PG, we can use Tucker at his more natural SG position, although this creates either a logjam at 3 and 4 or a situation where we go undersized in the post again like last year by moving Cole back under the hoop.

Glad someone mentioned Bawinkle. We seem to be forgetting about him. I'm assuming he'll start, at least early, because of his familiarity with the system and his 3-point shooting. I'd say he has to contribute early for this team to get going.

It seems a bit odd that we keep hearing about the greatness of Tucker, that he IS a one, and all, then why does said member believe its Payne? Shouldnt it really be Tucker, and then Cougill, as a legit inside presence is sorely needed on this team. Now, if Tucker really ISNT a one as promoted, then Payne IS the NEEDED player, as a true PG makes it all work and is the pressure breaker. So, for the sake of clarity, is Tucker really a one, or a two?

Plus, we better hope that Cougill can be a solid contributor ( Brommer too. It would be quite nice if he is developing ), or if Cole is the man in the middle, we better hope that May is the second coming of Hargrave and can rebound like Clay ( as rebounding is a desperate need for this team.

No one is saying that AT is not a good player. AT is not a natural one, everyone would agree that they would rather seem him play at the two and not have to create for others, but others create for him to be able to shoot.

I wish that I could find some video online of Cully playing last year for some of you. Cully is one heck of a player. Like Spank said, he has that "IT" factor.

Iowa likes players that are gym rats and work hard and give 110% all the time. Here is an article that shows the kind of player you are getting in Cully that I saw a while ago. It also references, 2010 recruit Ben Brust as well.

AAU Hawkeyes
Rick Brown
August 11, 2009 23:32 PM

Iowa commit Ben Brust

Mike Weinstein runs Joy of the Game, a basketball program in the Chicago area. His Rising Stars teams are always a player on the National AAU level.

Weinstein takes great exception to the premise that all AAU coaches have their hands out, looking for a profit from college recruiters.

"I think it's really garbage when you try and lump it all together," Weinstein said. "It's frustrating when people say all AAU people are bad. You know what? There's bad people at AAU, high school, college and pro. There are also good people at every level."

Weinstein has coached Iowa freshman guard Cully Payne as well as Class of 2010 Hawkeye commitment Ben Brust.

"I have three favorite kids of all time, and you have two of them," Weinstein said.

The third is Jason Richards, who played at Davidson and was a senior in 2008-09.

In Payne and Brust, Weinstein said Iowa will have two of the hardest-working kids you'll ever see.

"Ben and Cully are cut from the same cloth," Weinstein said. "You never have to worry about them spending time in the gym, time in the weightroom or loving the game. They are all about basketball. These two are going to push each other. That's why Cully wants to play with Ben and Ben wants to play with Cully. They'll both work their butts off."

I'll take those two players any day of the week.

Cute article. Proves nothing though, as HS and AAU isnt D-I NCAA MBB. Lets hope that they actually are as good as advertised, it would be nice. Count me hopeful.

It seems a bit odd that we keep hearing about the greatness of Tucker, that he IS a one, and all, then why does said member believe its Payne? Shouldnt it really be Tucker, and then Cougill, as a legit inside presence is sorely needed on this team. Now, if Tucker really ISNT a one as promoted, then Payne IS the NEEDED player, as a true PG makes it all work and is the pressure breaker. So, for the sake of clarity, is Tucker really a one, or a two?

Plus, we better hope that Cougill can be a solid contributor ( Brommer too. It would be quite nice if he is developing ), or if Cole is the man in the middle, we better hope that May is the second coming of Hargrave and can rebound like Clay ( as rebounding is a desperate need for this team.

Tucker wasn't one of the 4 options given by the OP.

Tucker wasn't one of the 4 options given by the OP.

Yeah - I probably derailed that one Spank by bringing up Tucker as a "New Face" since he didn't play after December... oops.

One poster asked why the focus on Payne. I think that the lack of ball control and some really bad turnovers make it vital to have a "go-to" guy in 3/4 and full court pressure situations. Iowa had some bad turnovers in that situation last year. Even a 5-7 point swing a game in reduced turnovers would add a few "W"s to the column this year. We'll see...

Yeah - I probably derailed that one Spank by bringing up Tucker as a "New Face" since he didn't play after December... oops.

One poster asked why the focus on Payne. I think that the lack of ball control and some really bad turnovers make it vital to have a "go-to" guy in 3/4 and full court pressure situations. Iowa had some bad turnovers in that situation last year. Even a 5-7 point swing a game in reduced turnovers would add a few "W"s to the column this year. We'll see...

Yes, that was very frustrating last year. Perfect example was the Penn State game at the end of the year. Penn State forced OT by full court pressing and created I don't know how many turnovers in the last couple of minutes in the game. Iowa still won in double OT, but they just looked confused at times when teams put the full court press on last year.

Latest posts