Who is your favorite Hawkeye linebacker of all-time?

Golden

Some pretty impressive names to consider. Who is your favorite Hawkeye linebacker all-time? Station....Greenway.....Hodge....LeRoy Smith....or someone else? Love Station, for sure....

No question. Both 43's. Angerer and now Jewell. Both are a typical hard nose nastey linebackers. Greenway is my other option!

Can we include Tippett? He was identified as a DE at Iowa, but I think he actually played more like an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Andre may have been the baddest man to ever play at Iowa.

Larry Station comes to mind first.I think he is still in such good shape he could still line up & bring the pain.

This is a pic from 3 yrs ago.

9189681.jpeg

Some pretty impressive names to consider. Who is your favorite Hawkeye linebacker all-time? Station....Greenway.....Hodge....LeRoy Smith....or someone else? Love Station, for sure....

Mine would be Larry Station. He is my favorite and he was also probably the best. Look at the All-American and All Big Ten honors and his career tackle numbers versus games played.

I would be interested to see the age of everyone that answered this question. I was at Iowa as a student for three of Larry Station's four seasons.

Hilgenberg

Too bad for Wally...all I remember as a kid was him getting his ass kicked in the Super Bowl against Oakland. You have to hand it to Madden...he looked at an old outside linebacker who's best days were 10 years behind him and he sent Upshaw and McKensie to pound him. There were shots of Hilgenberg being pushed 15 yards downfield.

I loved Angerer for the all around package (personality included), but Greenway was special. I honestly think, based on last year...that Josie Jewel could be as good as any linebacker we have ever had. I just remember him hitting Nieman at Nebraska. Nieman's a tough dude and he sent him to LaLa Land. Actually the film that was most impressive was the Indiana game where he came from the opposite side and beat the ball carrier to the line of scrimmage and when he got there, he wasn't happy about having to run that far and made it known.

Greenway, Hodge, Angerer in that order for my era. Josey will creep into the conversation once all is said and done.

Can we include Tippett? He was identified as a DE at Iowa, but I think he actually played more like an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Andre may have been the baddest man to ever play at Iowa.

Yeah... if Andre wasn't the baddest man to ever wear the Hawkeye uniform it would be Matt Roth. But I gotta give it to Tippet by a nose.