Who is your favorite Hawkeye linebacker of all-time?

Angerer is my favorite. I love Larry Station but Angerer was an animal. I can't count how many 3rd and short runs he stuffed.

Station.

Cerebral, smart. He was a computer science major, right before the tech boom happened. i know he is back in Omaha now, no clue what he is doing. Got drafted by my favorite team the Steelers, oh man, I wished that would have worked out. He was the perfect fit for Brashier's 5-2 scheme.

For me, it is Abdul Hodge. I can still picture him shooting the gap about ten inches off the ground, smacking down, and beating the turf in triumph! Great instincts, real power, mean streak, more than decent speed and cover, incredible character. All of the mentioned are great but when you say linebacker I see #52.

With all respect to Josey, he's good and really climbing. But he's not close to Greenway, Hodge, Angerer and Station territory yet. Potentially...sure. But he has a long way to go.

Best trio: Kirksey/Morris/Hitchens? That could be up for debate. Who played with Greenway and Hodge? Was it Humpal?

IMO, best LB trio:

1) Angerer, Edds, Hunter
2) Hodge, Greenway, Lewis
3) Morris, Kirksey, Hitchens (Loved watching Hitchens play esp his SR year)

Can we include Tippett? He was identified as a DE at Iowa, but I think he actually played more like an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Andre may have been the baddest man to ever play at Iowa.

I was at the UCLA game in Iowa City and it was difficult not to stay focused on him when our defense was on the field. They couldn't stop him even with double teams. The guy was a beast. I loved to watch him play along with Yanda on offense. All I can say regarding both of them is "OUCH" when they hit you.

As far as linebacker I would have to go with Larry Station. Another "OUCH" guy. I love guys that played like that. That's one of the reason I used to enjoy watching the former Chicago Bears players Gary Fencik and Doug Plank. Those guy would absolutely destroy people when they hit them.

Last edited:
Too bad for Wally...all I remember as a kid was him getting his ass kicked in the Super Bowl against Oakland. You have to hand it to Madden...he looked at an old outside linebacker who's best days were 10 years behind him and he sent Upshaw and McKensie to pound him. There were shots of Hilgenberg being pushed 15 yards downfield.

Yeah I remember that too. Wally played on 4 Super Bowl teams though. He probably wan't the best LB at Iowa when he was there either. Mike Reilly was damn good and played TE too, but Wally was as tough as they come and a fan favorite. That was still in the day that a lot of players went both ways. Wally played on the OL as well. In fact he was drafted as a G if I remember right. Paul Krouse played DB and WR and starred on both positions.

Mike Klinkenborg! Here's why...."Klinkenborg is widely known for his performance in Iowa's 2006 game against Iowa State. Just six days before the annual rivalry game, Klinkenborg's father Myron died of a heart attack. Instead of sitting out the game, Klinkenborg played and recorded eight tackles. A day later, he was named Walter Camp Defensive Player of the Week."

Station is an all timer. Greenway is up there.

We've had a lot of great ones. And very few were highly rated coming out of HS.

Too bad for Wally...all I remember as a kid was him getting his ass kicked in the Super Bowl against Oakland. You have to hand it to Madden...he looked at an old outside linebacker who's best days were 10 years behind him and he sent Upshaw and McKensie to pound him. There were shots of Hilgenberg being pushed 15 yards downfield.

Reggie Mckenzie (sp) played for the Bills and blocked for O.J. Simpson. I believe he is the GM of the Raiders now as well, coincidentally. Gene Upshaw and Art Shell are probably the duo you are trying to remember, as they played on the same side of the OL and I believe both are also in the HOF.

Mel Cole, Melvin Foster, Larry Station, Chad Greenway, Abdul Hodge (in no particular order).

And no, we can't Tippet or Leroy Smith. Both lined up with a hand on the ground pretty much every play, though both dropped back to cover.

Smith would have been a beast "hybrid" as a pro but that knee injury against BYU in the bowl game probably derailed that.