WHO IS THE WORST SPORTS RADIO GUY IN DSM?

I dont like Keith and Andy all that much, they try to make everything funny and I just dont find it funny,

but I don't like Terrell at all. Every time he says "Bad job outa him" I die a little inside.

My favorite local show is probably Miller and Deace.

Best National, Dan Patrick

Worst National, Mike and Mike.

My pick.....Lary the cotman Cotlar.....droning, rambling, condescending, boring, and uninformed.
I was so happy when he got canned from KXNO.....then flipping channels at noon. today....cus rome gets boring...and I hear that voice...I cannot take it..

Keith and Andy are the best..followed by..sorry... Miller and Deace...however if Deace doesnt stop calling his frickin KIA a batmobile I may throw up in my coffee..IT IS A KIA STEVE.......KOREAN ..STEVE....A KIA...with a 5 year bumper to bumper...but no ejection seat...

I do miss Jon's afternoon show that had much more sports talk and less prime time tv...I don't care what you guys watch at night....I know its a mix of entertainment and sports..but if I want deep thoughts on Lost..i will google it..but I am on a short commute..a limited time to get my sports fix..
but when those 2 guys talk college football.there is none better.

Not to go all Bill Clinton......but it depends on what the meaning of "worst" is.

If the meaning is "most annoying".....then that's easy, it's Perrault. It's not even the substance with that guy, I just can't get past his whiny voice.

If the meaning is "most uninformed".....then it's Cotlar and it's not even close. Plus, he gets bonus points for giving himself his nickname.

If the meaning is "most condescending host that talks the least about sports", then it's Deace. I've never listened to what was supposed to be a "Sports Talk Radio Show" and heard less sports talk in all my life. At least Miller attempts to bring it back to sports, but with that air-hog Deace as a partner, good-luck with that.

Miller, of course, is the best because he talks about what I want to hear.....The Hawks.

I liked 1700 better when it was all ESPN all the time. That said, ESPN Radio's weakness is afternoon drivetime, probably because most stations have local guys for that slot. I never ever hear Deace/Miller because they are signing off by the time I turn on the radio (drive time for me is 7:45 - 8:30). If they moved to the afternoon, that'd suite me a lot better, and then I wouldn't have to listen to any of the afternoon jokers. I do enjoy the Dan Patrick show, on KXNO, however.

BTW, though I'm still not a fan of Perrault, he has gotten slightly better, Ken Miller is OK by me, and much more tolerable with Tirrell gone. They are definitely the tallest midgets in this market who I actually ever hear.

Last edited:
ratings just came out. M&D in the Morning is #1 again in the most important demographic in the city (all stations and formats)...two ratings books in a row. Thanks for listening :)

Congrats, if you were on the air a little longer or later, I'd listen too. Not sure if that is something you are interested in. Maybe you like the ***-crack of dawn.

Cotlar is pathetic. Perrault is also hard to listen to.

I enjoy Kenny Miller. He seems to take himself very lightly and isn't trying to be quoted with his remarks. He pretty much tells it like it is.

I liked 1700 better when it was all ESPN all the time. That said, ESPN Radio's weakness is afternoon drivetime, probably because most stations have local guys for that slot. I never ever hear Deace/Miller because they are signing off by the time I turn on the radio (drive time for me is 7:45 - 8:30). If they moved to the afternoon, that'd suite me a lot better, and then I wouldn't have to listen to any of the afternoon jokers. I do enjoy the Dan Patrick show, on KXNO, however.

BTW, though I'm still not a fan of Perrault, he has gotten slightly better, Ken Miller is OK by me, and much more tolerable with Tirrell gone. They are definitely the tallest midgets in this market who I actually ever hear.

I have actually become a fan. I'd say 90% of the time he is unbiased, unless he is talking about something East Coast. Also, very informed about topics. Still not a big fan of his stuttering though.

Congrats, if you were on the air a little longer or later, I'd listen too. Not sure if that is something you are interested in. Maybe you like the ***-crack of dawn.

I despise the hours I have to keep related to the am show...love doing the show, the most fun thing I have ever done professionally. The needing to get to bed by 10:30pm is the hardest part.

The alarm clock isn't much fun either ;) I tell myself each morning: "It's not forever, just today."

OH- and Chris Williams.... no thank you. It has nothing to do with the ISU bias either, he is just a 1 trick pony. THat's all he knows, and he isn't funny either.

even as an ISU fan, I will say that CW is pretty hard to listen to on the radio at times. but then again he's young and will most likely improve with time after he finds his style a bit.

I'm guessing jon wasn't the same guy we here on the radio now ten years ago.

as far as best DSM radio program, it's probably miller and deace. keith and andy have their moments though.

Jon and Steve do a fantastic job every morning. When they talk college football it is the best radio anywhere in the state. I know Jon has a gig with the BTN and he'll be great, but they need to find a spot for Steve as well. His knowledge of college football is unparalleled.

Cotlar is far and away the worst. That being said, I still find myself listening to him sometimes because I can't handle Rome for more than 15 minutes or so. I drive a lot for work and I do like Jon and Steve as well as Murph and Andy. Perrault has grown on me (kinda like a fungus, I think) and I have started to enjoy them too. I guess it probably comes with being the top dog in the market but the thing that drives me nuts about KXNO's afternoon shows is the incredibly long commercial breaks. I will flip over to Marty for like 5 minutes and there are still ads on when I flip back, although it's hard to tire of Jack Emerson's silky pipes.

I always get a little smirk across my face when I hear Miller & Deace's promo about man rules which includes a line (paraphrasing) "And you can't ever, ever gloss yourself... Yes, and no adding "man" on to the end of your name, like Steve-man."

Jon you should have emailed a copy of those man rules to the Cot-man! lol

What is the source for the radio ratings? Any web links?

The ratings that are available on the web cite all listeners 12+. No one sells off of those. Males 25-54 one of the most highly coveted demos in radio, and that is the one we always look at, and the one where we are #1. To get access to the innards of the ratings, not just the glory numbers that really dont matter because few radio stations are marketing to 12 year olds, you have to pay for them and they are not cheap.

I always get a little smirk across my face when I hear Miller & Deace's promo about man rules which includes a line (paraphrasing) "And you can't ever, ever gloss yourself... Yes, and no adding "man" on to the end of your name, like Steve-man."

Jon you should have emailed a copy of those man rules to the Cot-man! lol

I like Larry. One of the nicest people I have ever worked with.

Latest posts