Who Has the Better Coach: Iowa or Iowa State?

IowaLawWasRight

Campbell just won the Big 12 Coach of the Year for the second year in a row, and he's only been coaching there for 3 years. Here is what he took over:

2013: 3-9
2014: 2-10
2015: 3-9
2016: 3-9 (Campbell's first year)

Obviously, he took over one of the 5 worst programs in college football with the worst recruiting base and facilities in the Big 12, and managed to recruit stud WRs/RBs/QBs and win 8 games this year. They aren't great, but they had huge wins over top 10 ranked opponents in each of the past 3 years.

Ferentz, on the other hand, had the Hawks ranked for a portion of this year and had some good blow out wins against lesser teams. He is the longest tenured coach in college football and coached Iowa to its 4th year in a row with 8 or more wins. He struggles at bringing in flashy skill position players, but his defenses are always top 20, and he puts OL and TE in the NFL.

When it comes down to it, who is the best coach in Iowa? Neither coach recruits top 25 classes, so who does more with less? Honest question. But I'll predict before I "hit" post that by virtue of asking this very basic question some hillbilly on this board will accuse me of being a "cyclone lover."

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...-matt-campbell-iowa-state-coach-year-20181128

Last edited:
I'd like to add that Iowa State's record this year is INCREDIBLY hollow.

They have 1 win of note, a dismantling of WVU.

Beyond that, they feasted on the likes of Kansas, Baylor, TT, a very down OSU, Akron, and KSU.

They proved that when they face a legitimate defense they wilt, a la Iowa, TCU, or Texas.

On top of all that is the fact that Campbell is still winless against Kirk, and the fact that he's likely going to lose his two best offensive weapons in Butler (90% of Purdy's game was chucking up jump balls to him) and Montgomery, and that he still hasn't fielded a decent OL, and this is a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Matt Campbell is exponentially better “game coach”. Probably way better recruiter. KF has hung his hat, however, on player development. We are best in nation here
He needs an OC though. It's clear that he tries to get way to cute with his playcalling instead of feeding the guys who have the hot hand.

Beyond that, they feasted on the likes of Kansas, Baylor, TT, a very down OSU, Akron, and KSU.

They proved that when they face a legitimate defense they will, a la Iowa, TCU, or Texas.

On top of all that is the fact that Campbell is still winless against Kirk, and the fact that he's likely going to lose his two best offensive weapons in Butler (90% of Purdy's game was chucking up jump balls to him) and Montgomery, and that he still hasn't fielded a decent OL, and this is a no-brainer.

The point is Iowa State roster in my eyes quite behind iowa, especially defensively. I do think their coach has got some impressive performance out of his talent. Iowa State exceeded expectations, we'll see how that goes next year now that the bar is set a little higher.

They proved that when they face a legitimate defense they wilt, a la Iowa, TCU, or Texas.
Well that is certainly how one dismantles a hollow thesis.

Doesn't Campbell actually have to BEAT Kirk Ferentz to say he's a better coach. An 0-3 record doesn't have me lining up to say...hey...Matt Campbell is already better than Kirk Ferentz. Just saying.
Booooom!

Another dismantling!

Butler was a similar situation as Josey Jewell. Last minute add from losing another player. And Lou Anyie had to break Rhoads arm to get him to offer.

Montgomery committed to Toledo, came over with Campbell

Lazard is similar to Weiskamp (Basketball) legacy commit

Campbell just won the Big 12 Coach of the Year for the second year in a row, and he's only been coaching there for 3 years. Here is what he took over:

2013: 3-9
2014: 2-10
2015: 3-9
2016: 3-9 (Campbell's first year)

Obviously, he took over one of the 5 worst programs in college football with the worst recruiting base and facilities in the Big 12, and managed to recruit stud WRs/RBs/QBs and win 8 games this year. They aren't great, but they had huge wins over top 10 ranked opponents in each of the past 3 years.

Ferentz, on the other hand, had the Hawks ranked for a portion of this year and had some good blow out wins against lesser teams. He is the longest tenured coach in college football and coached Iowa to its 4th year in a row with 8 or more wins. He struggles at bringing in flashy skill position players, but his defenses are always top 20, and he puts OL and TE in the NFL.

When it comes down to it, who is the best coach in Iowa? Neither coach recruits top 25 classes, so who does more with less? Honest question. But I'll predict before I "hit" post that by virtue of asking this very basic question some hillbilly on this board will accuse me of being a "cyclone lover."

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...-matt-campbell-iowa-state-coach-year-20181128

Kirk Ferentz. Body of work is the reason.

You do realize iowa has one win over a winning team...right? And I won’t even mention the record of the b10 teams we beat. Something like 12-38 or such. For iowa to poke fun at anyone else’s win is comical

You do realize iowa has one win over a winning team...right? And I won’t even mention the record of the b10 teams we beat. Something like 12-38 or such. For iowa to poke fun at anyone else’s win is comical
You do realize I said nothing about Iowa's record, right?

The argument is Campbell vs Ferentz, which is clearly in favor of Ferentz right now.

How can ferentz not land a top 20 class every year with the money the athletic department has spent on upgrades to the stadium and having a top notch practice facility.? Not to mention every game is televised because of the big ten network to fall back on. There is a huge disconnect there. Iowa st . might be scary good in a few years.

How can ferentz not land a top 20 class every year with the money the athletic department has spent on upgrades to the stadium and having a top notch practice facility.? Not to mention every game is televised because of the big ten network to fall back on. There is a huge disconnect there. Iowa st . might be scary good in a few years.
The same reasons Wisconsin doesn't land top 20 classes every year. Name power, geographic location, offense, culture, academics, take your pick. Iowa has not ever and will never consistently land top 20 classes. The only way they could is if they have an extended run of dominance similar to Nebby's "tradition", but even they are losing that gradually.