Who else isn't sold on Petras still?

I’m not sold on him but I don’t want to knock him too much for this game either. Early on, I thought he showed improvement from last year. His early throws seemed to be accurate but they were dropped. With that said, there were a lot of incorrect reads- throwing to wrong receivers/missing open guys. Way too much of that.

I also think he got banged up on that TD run. He came up gimpy after that and I saw an interaction between him and Brian and he pointed at his knee. I don’t how much that affected him.

Another thing is that I want to credit Indiana’s defense. I maybe wrong but I thought I read they led the B1G in takeaways last year plus led the country in red zone defense last year and returned quite a few of those guys this year. Combine that with the typical 1st game offensive inconsistency, that probably contributed to Petras’ struggles.

The last Iowa QB who could win a game for us IMO was Stanzi.
C

And before him, you'd have to go back to Long, Hartlieb, Rogers.

Whoa, really, wow, CJB did a whole hell of a lot in 2015 to get us to 12-0 and win games.

He led the hawks to the last second positioning of the ball for Koehn's long fg to beat Pitt and so many other big plays. really!!!???

He needed to make absolutely zero plays yesterday. I'm way ok with him chucking the ball out of bounds 5 times a game when we are up 25+ points he had the tight ends all day in the first half, indiana adjusted to take that away and our coaches appeared to use that as an opportunity to just get film on players for coaching opportunities. We only even tried one shot down field and he threw it when he absolutely had to. I think he'll make some of those this year. Also no one on this board probably paid much attention to them last year and don't realize that was probably the best secondary we will face all season.

WAY(!) too early to make a judgment. Sure he had a couple of missed bunnies, how many QBs don't? There were some drops that were on the money as well. I don't think I'd swap his performance for the more hyped Hoosier QB's.

What about Goodson? Take away his big run and he had a pretty underwhelming performance. Anyone picking him apart?

The HAWKS just destroyed a top twenty team. Why not just enjoy it and not bemoan the fact not everyone played their best, they didn't even have to! And think what can happen when they do.
He played 8 games last yr too. Now he's had a full off season of spring ball and fall camp to work to get to this point. I was hoping to have seen improvement from that. He didn't look much different from last yr though.

I mentioned the drops which their were too many of (from an underwhelming receiving corp which isn't his fault either) I'm being fair here. He doesn't have a receiver like B Smith that he can lob it up to in the redzone to make a play this yr. Or a deep thread like ISM. This receiving group is a bunch of shorter guys that are all running routes within 15 yards of the LOS and that's going to affect how we are defended going forward too. So Petras will have to be on the money. I don't think a 60% or lower completion percentage is going to cut it that would be tough to overcome if that continues.

I'm just calling a spade a spade. I'm not destroying the kid he just is what he is. Those that may have been hoping he'd make some huge strides this yr and become say an NFL level QB will be disappointed. He's going to have to be used as a game manager type. He isn't Ricky Stanzi CJ Beathard or hell he's not even Nate Stanley. So as long as BF acknowledges this and calls games accordingly we'll be fine and can have a big year.

He’s clearly the best QB we have on the roster right now so I hope he plays every snap the rest the of the season. I would also say that he is a better QB than all other teams in the West with the possible exception of the gopher QB. Martz at Wisconsin stinks.

I think the rest of our offense is very good so he simply has to manage the team. He reminds me of Bohannon in 1981; good but not great.

Our defense, on the other hand, is elite. I think we are the best team in the West, but we gotta prove it.
Make no mistake we are riding or dying with him. I'm not even remotely suggesting he should be benched for the other guys we have. They aren't ready not even close.

He is a 6'5" 230 lb QB. His mobility will always be in contention. The real question is if O'Keefe can teach the dude to rotate his hips.
If he woulda done that he'd have probably hit IKM on that deeper pass and he'd have had no less then 20 yards on that one play. When he gets flushed from pocket he's not as comfortable throwing on the move and his mechanics get out of wack. So good call. That's something he needs to work on

I’m not sold on him but I don’t want to knock him too much for this game either. Early on, I thought he showed improvement from last year. His early throws seemed to be accurate but they were dropped. With that said, there were a lot of incorrect reads- throwing to wrong receivers/missing open guys. Way too much of that.

I also think he got banged up on that TD run. He came up gimpy after that and I saw an interaction between him and Brian and he pointed at his knee. I don’t how much that affected him.

Another thing is that I want to credit Indiana’s defense. I maybe wrong but I thought I read they led the B1G in takeaways last year plus led the country in red zone defense last year and returned quite a few of those guys this year. Combine that with the typical 1st game offensive inconsistency, that probably contributed to Petras’ struggles.
Good point on Indiana's defense. Not enough credit given where it is due. We didn't really attempt to throw the ball down the field to the WRs much and this was probably a factor. Petras threw zero interceptions to a team that made a living off of them last year and, as you state, had most of those guys back.

I dunno but the guy doesn't have that 'it'. When it comes to hitting the layups he still misses way too many. The throws he missed to Tracy and IKM were inexcusable for a D1 QB. Now granted he had like 4 or 5 legit drops in this game which woulda made a big difference considering a couple of those were on 3rd downs that woulda kept drives going. So I'm trying to be fair with my take on him. But he's just not going to make many big plays. It looks like he's going to frustrate us by missing on makeable plays too often. Now if he can continue to not throw picks then we may be able to do well despite him. But that would be the final straw...

The reason Stanzi was able to overcome his interceptions was all the studs he had around him on O and he made several big plays. Petras won't have that luxury. He does have an other worldly defense behind him it looks like so if he doesn't turn it over and just plays solid ball I like our chances at a great year

I'm not totally sold on our receiving corp either. So that's where he needs to be really good to help elevate them. But that can be another topic.
This year, this is not saying as much as some other years.

Iowa has the 3rd best QB in the B1G. Behind OSU and Maryland. The next best is Morgan or Martinez. There is a dearth of qb play in the BIG Ten this year.

And before him, you'd have to go back to Long, Hartlieb,
As much as I liked Bethard, he got hurt in the Indiana game and never recovered while at Iowa. But he could and did win games by sacrificing his body for you.

Tate and Banks would like a word with you.

Kind of funny that it took Kirk almost twenty years to get back to the level of program Iowa was from 01 - 04. And that, due to bigotry, the program is about to decline again in the following years. Winning the Big Ten this year would do wonders to fix recruiting. But anything less and I think Iowa is in trouble.

As much as I liked Bethard, he got hurt in the Indiana game and never recovered while at Iowa. But he could and did win games by sacrificing his body for you.

Kind of funny that it took Kirk almost twenty years to get back to the level of program Iowa was from 01 - 04. And that, due to bigotry, the program is about to decline again in the following years. Winning the Big Ten this year would do wonders to fix recruiting. But anything less and I think Iowa is in trouble.
And for some of the up and down play Stanley had he won some games too. His first road start against ISU he had 5 Tds and looked great. He just couldn't be consistent week to week. But at his best he was pretty good I'd like him to get credit for that too

This year, this is not saying as much as some other years.

Iowa has the 3rd best QB in the B1G. Behind OSU and Maryland. The next best is Morgan or Martinez. There is a dearth of qb play in the BIG Ten this year.
Yeah I'm not too worried about comparing him to the other QBs in the league so much as I am just wishing he wasn't a game manager. With a big strong armed qb you'd like to think he can push the ball down field and make defenses be honest. But if we mostly are playing within 15 yards of the LOS that's going to give defenses an easier way to attack us. Now how much of that is on our receiving corp as it is no him I'd have to say it's a combination of the two. I look for Lachey to get more involved as well as more and more Laporta.

He said no qb "since" Stanzi. Tate and Banks were before him.

It seems like whenever Petras gets flushed from the pocket, he never finds someone open. Even the plays he has forever to throw while running towards the sideline he can't ever find someone and ends up throwing it away.

not sold on Petras but I am not sure Padilla is the answer either and sounds like Duece Hogan is not ready yet. So I think Iowa is stuck with Petras for now.

Aaahhh, the week long jitters. Here we go. Lol. I've never felt comfortable with this game and I have 4 calendars at work, with 9/11 circled, but for a much better reason. Petras needs to be fucking ready to go. ISU=blitz. Our line was not formidable Saturday. I was very surprised to have rushed 158 yards. I still saw too much penetration. I'm hoping for a W and a good game plan. I want our D out there first and get something forced right off the bat. It's gonna be a long damn week. Uffda

Our offense warmed up against what was a top-20 defense nationally last year that returned 81% of their production and several All-Americans (and added 3 P5 transfers into their 2-deep). Indiana is a blitz-heavy team, and I believe they play on odd-front (not sure, did not get to see the game). Sounds like a perfect warmup for ISU. ISU is more talented and disciplined, but it's not like Iowa is coming off a tune-up against UNI straight into an elite defense...that would be a tough transition.

I disagree a bit on the 20 year hiatus from 2002-04.

After a QB controversy laden slow start the 2008 team was 6-1 to end the year with a 3 pt loss to Illini when they were good and a big Outback Win. The 2009 team was 2002-esque going 11-2 with 2 close loses due to Stanzi injury and then a huge Orange Bowl win. And the 2010 team was living up to expectations with the 8-2 start with 2 very close losses (including the fake punt Wisky game by a point) then those 3 damn losses by 10 points before beating #15 Missouri

The hawks were bullies in this stretch from mid 2008 to late 2010 going 25-5 with some extremely close losses.

Offense was disappointing and just meh. The thing is we don’t know how good Indiana’s defense is. Maybe we aren’t giving them enough credit. At the end of the day I will take a good win against a top twenty team.

The next game will give us a better feel for where we are at.

Latest posts