Which hurts worse?

HawkeyeGunner

Ok obviously we don't get to be Conference Champs so...
Which hurts worse-Not being Champs especially after beating MSU twice or losing to MSU and getting crushed by Stanford in the Rose Bowl? I think the late season collapse bothers me more because of Indiana getting it on our home court and losing to Pitiful State University.

Hoops is more painful IMO, but I say that conceding that I've always been a basketball-first type of guy.

With the football team, we never were tested against another Top 10 team until late. Although disappointing (the Rose Bowl especially) it wasn't a major surprise to me that we lost our last two games against other Top 10 teams.

The hoops team showed no indications earlier in the year that the 7-0 & 10-1 conference starts were a fluke. Four wins over MSU & Purdue felt legit to me even if MSU hadn't yet found itself at the time we beat them.

I never was totally sold that Iowa was a 1 seed, and I expected them to lose a couple (maybe end up 15-3 or 14-4) but I still believe they were much better than a "lose 5 of 6" type of team, regardless of the schedule. I'm sick of melt downs.

This is worse in my opinion because I believe we actually have the talent to compete with top teams as we had shown early in the year. Losing a lot of confidence in this team.

Basketball is worse. At least we can say we lost to 2 good teams in FB. In basketball we were top 5 and lost to Penn State, Ohio State, Indiana twice (who actually appears to be good) and Wisconsin at home. Just a brutal stretch of peeing down their leg after beating very good teams. What a shame.

Basketball comes first for me. And I had no expectations of the Rose Bowl because we don't play well when we travel west. The Ohio State game really hurt because I knew that was probably it for winning the conference...stuck with me for a couple of days.

Last night made feel more optimistic for the Big 10 Tournament and NCAA Tournament. Fran played the bench more and they were playing well and with a lot of energy. Clemmons was playing hard...doing everything he could within his skill set IMO. I didn't think any of the other 4 starters played very well at all. So I can see the potential for some positive things to happen in the postseason.

But I will ultimately compare the NCAA to the Rose Bowl. And losing in the NCAA Tournament will hurt far more for me...be it our 1st game or the championship game. I may be satisfied with our run...win 2 or 3 games. But I will be sad that Iowa's college basketball season is over for another year.

Basketball is worse. At least we can say we lost to 2 good teams in FB. In basketball we were top 5 and lost to Penn State, Ohio State, Indiana twice (who actually appears to be good) and Wisconsin at home. Just a brutal stretch of peeing down their leg after beating very good teams. What a shame.

But the basketball team also swept Michigan State and Purdue. I enjoyed those sweeps more than the football wins at Wisconsin and Nebraska...both of which I did enjoy.

Basketball comes first for me. And I had no expectations of the Rose Bowl because we don't play well when we travel west. The Ohio State game really hurt because I knew that was probably it for winning the conference...stuck with me for a couple of days.

Last night made feel more optimistic for the Big 10 Tournament and NCAA Tournament. Fran played the bench more and they were playing well and with a lot of energy. Clemmons was playing hard...doing everything he could within his skill set IMO. I didn't think any of the other 4 starters played very well at all. So I can see the potential for some positive things to happen in the postseason.

But I will ultimately compare the NCAA to the Rose Bowl. And losing in the NCAA Tournament will hurt far more for me...be it our 1st game or the championship game. I may be satisfied with our run...win 2 or 3 games. But I will be sad that Iowa's college basketball season is over for another year.

I hear what you're saying, but this is only if things change for this team as far as the final 4-5 minutes of games goes.

It's obvious this team can compete, but I'm afraid I'm seeing nothing to convince me that this group of players and coaches have what it takes to get it done in a game that comes down to the final minute or two.

Not trying to be argumentative, but they'd really better figure it out quick, because the BTT starts next week and they've folded during crunch time the last 3 games in a row. I'm just not optimistic, as much as I want to be. Honestly, last night only cemented that.

But, I really REALLY hope I'm wrong.

But the basketball team also swept Michigan State and Purdue. I enjoyed those sweeps more than the football wins at Wisconsin and Nebraska...both of which I did enjoy.

The hoops season has had higher highs, and lower low's, IMO.

That Rose Bowl was pretty bad, though.

In the 80s and first half of the 90s I would have said basketball hurt more. But the sport overall has dropped in quality with everyone leaving so early for the NBA. So I get more into football. Neither of them hurt me when they lose though. Used to, but not anymore.

I hear what you're saying, but this is only if things change for this team as far as the final 4-5 minutes of games goes.

It's obvious this team can compete, but I'm afraid I'm seeing nothing to convince me that this group of players and coaches have what it takes to get it done in a game that comes down to the final minute or two.

Not trying to be argumentative, but they'd really better figure it out quick, because the BTT starts next week and they've folded during crunch time the last 3 games in a row. I'm just not optimistic, as much as I want to be. Honestly, last night only cemented that.

But, I really REALLY hope I'm wrong.

No worries. You're not being argumentative. This is all fair. But I think PC said it somewhere. If this team starts playing well the last 4 minutes won't matter because we'll be too far ahead. See Purdue and Michigan State games.

Ask me this question, after the NCAA Tournament, and you'll have your answer.
Every year, there are handful of teams that make the Sweet 16, that were on very few people's RADAR's.

Outside of 2 seasons ago, there isn't a basketball collapse that comes to mind.
For football, I can think of 1988, 1997, 2006 and 2010, off the top of my head.

I agree with this. Although in the top for of the CFP was kind of cool. But we far exceeded expectations. We were on track to do that in basketball too until we lost all the mojo.

Anyone who saw 12-0 in football--aside from You Know Who--was considered delusional and in serious need of "professional help".

I don't remember much enthusiasm for this b-ball season after dropping an exhibition game to a d-2 team. I know I wasn't particularly upbeat after the performance against Dayton on Thanksgiving night ten yards in front of my nose.

In that sense, both have the "disappointing ending" component, but the B1G CG can be seen as a "reason" for the Rose Bowl performance (i.e., they weren't as excited and upbeat as they seemed, and were still in letdown mode). These past four b-ball games? Infinitely more mind-boggling, but in a 30-some game season, not as traumatic for me.

Now if we go down in our first BTT and NCAA games? It's not even a case of "what-might-have-been" at that point, it's back to "Don't-let-the-fool's-gold-of-January-get-claim-jumped-by-the-Feb/March-swoon" mentality.

Which hurts worse-Not being Champs especially after beating MSU twice or losing to MSU and getting crushed by Stanford in the Rose Bowl? I think the late season collapse bothers me more because of Indiana getting it on our home court and losing to Pitiful State University.

This late season collapse bothers you more now because basketball is what's in the now. If this was the morning after the Rose Bowl, it would be football as b-ball would kind of be an afterthought.

Hoops. It was setting up so perfect. Playing in your backyard as a #1 or #2 probably gets you to the sweet 16..... no dominant teams this year means you can legitimately make a final four run. I thought the perfect storm was brewing.

As for football, even if Iowa beats MSU, they get throttled by Alabama. By week 7, the offense consisted of a few big Canzeri runs and CJB occasionally connecting with a TE. Deep inside you kinda knew it was going to catch up with Iowa at some point.

I thought this thread was going to be about losing the conference title or not playing in Des Moines. I'm really bummed about missing out on Des Moines.

My two worst days as a Hawkeye fan were the days Ralph & Lute left. No loss even comes close to the days two Hall of Fame coaches left Iowa.

I thought this thread was going to be about losing the conference title or not playing in Des Moines. I'm really bummed about missing out on Des Moines.

The conference title is gone. Sunday all we had to do was win 3 in a row...still had a chance. Des Moines is the same way. All we have to do is win 3 in a row and we have a chance. Win 4 in a row and we're a lock IMO.

I'm not saying it will happen. But Des Moines is far from gone. We are 16 in Kenpom...15 since Louisville isn't eligible. We are 17 in Sagarin...16 because Louisville isn't eligible. Real Time RPI has us at 27 but winning 3 in a row gets us back in the top 20.

I believe the consensus on this board for the last 3 or 4 years has been that Kenpom's rankings make the most sense and are the most accurate. As fans we're upset with losing 4 straight and 5 out of 6...rightfully so. But the objective Kenpom rating system doesn't see these as horrible losses or we wouldn't still be 16th.

Side Note - On Kenpom we are the highest ranked team with at least 9 losses. And the sweeps of MSU and PU are obviously going to pay dividends all the way to Selection Sunday.

I thought the B1G championship game was way worse. It actually meant something. The Rose Bowl is a fart in the wind.

If if we would have won the B1G people would actually have remembered it. No one cares who wins the Rose Bowl anymore, and the only thing that makes this one memorable is how destroyed we got.