Where is all the Ferentz Hate?

I think he was referring to all the idiots who were predicting 2-4 wins last season for the Hawks.

Regardless, the point remains the same. Trumpeting a season in which they didn't finish in the top 25 actually says a lot to the contrary of what he was intending.

WOTC, your list of things KF addressed reflects many of the gripes that the KF detractors had. Count me as one of his detractors during 2012. Now, because KF has addressed those issues, then: a) why would the detractors continue talking about them, and b) it lends credence and validity to the detractors opinions. I think KF still has improvements to make, but I do see a change in KF's approach. He even seems more forthcoming with information during interviews; as opposed to his typical cryptic coach speak. And again, 2012 should not ever happen when paying a coach what Iowa pays KF. Just shouldn't. Having said that, KF is taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen, again. KF appears to have done a mea culpa after 2012 and I fully respect that in any person. It isn't always an easy thing to do.

<<And again, 2012 should not ever happen when paying a coach what Iowa pays KF>>

Disagree. I would agree that 2013 should NEVER happen at Florida. Huge state, huge recruiting base, historically "lax" in recruiting/retention/player-protection standards, etc.

2012 was a "perfect storm" of events. We will still have them once in a great while. Small state, limited D-1 talent base, etc.

Exactly. They outperformed most everyone's expectations last year. I certainly knew they outperformed yours. I understand some of KF's philosophies are frustrating, but I'm also keenly aware he's shown a willingness to change things I didn't think he would change. I'm anxious to see the direction things are headed with this coaching staff, and I think the results he got out of the team last year should have gained him some ground with even his biggest naysayers like yourself.

Exactly. They outperformed most everyone's expectations last year. I certainly knew they outperformed yours. I understand some of KF's philosophies are frustrating, but I'm also keenly aware he's shown a willingness to change things I didn't think he would change. I'm anxious to see the direction things are headed with this coaching staff, and I think the results he got out of the team last year should have gained him some ground with even his biggest naysayers like yourself.

Understand though that KF being the coach goes into a prediction. I'll freely admit that at the end of the season last year you started to see a bit of the incredibly frustrating stubborn of KF change in certain areas. If he adapts with the times I will adapt my opinion of him. I'm not completely hard headed. I just am not a fan of his style/conservativism. That could change. I have a tad more hope after last year, but not a ton more. Time will tell.

Regardless, the point remains the same. Trumpeting a season in which they didn't finish in the top 25 actually says a lot to the contrary of what he was intending.

Nobody is standing on a mountaintop trumpeting last season as a "we made it" moment! Certainly, the 8 wins is not the ceiling for expectations.

But if you can't handle a single thread that points out some positive signs from last year towards this year... Well then welcome to our world a year ago!

Nobody is standing on a mountaintop trumpeting last season as a "we made it" moment! Certainly, the 8 wins is not the ceiling for expectations.

But if you can't handle a single thread that points out some positive signs from last year towards this year... Well then welcome to our world a year ago!

Agreed. Last season was good.. Not great. It was a real nice bounce back season after 2012. Regardless, there should be some reason for optimism after last year, heading into this year. I'm not sure exactly what to expect this year, so I'm not trying to set myself up for disappointment by expecting 10+ wins, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be a good football season. If the team struggles, then I'll be on the edge with everyone else, but there's no reason to do that until there's a reason to.

I think the OP was doing exactly that. He's attempting to use an 8-5 season that included a Bowl game loss as a club to beat the "haters" with, while he pounds his chest. He's not smart enough to see how ridiculous that is. But that's his problem. And maybe yours too.

I think the OP was doing exactly that. He's attempting to use an 8-5 season that included a Bowl game loss as a club to beat the "haters" with, while he pounds his chest. He's not smart enough to see how ridiculous that is. But that's his problem. And maybe yours too.

So lemme get this straight…

A thread (or perhaps I should say threads, upon threads, upon threads) started after the 2012 season throwing all sorts of durp towards the koolaid drinkers, pointing out all the flaws of the Hawk players/play/staff, calling out the coach for "stealing monies from the university" is perfectly okie dokie.

Buuuuuut, a thread started during spring practice when optimism is growing, after a season that was turned around, won the games we should've, played closely the games we didn't have bizness to do so, changed tendency that drove many a fan cray-cray (and seemed to re-energize the fan base) is clubbing da haterz/chest poundin'?

Makes sense.

I was merely pointing out that all the naysayers who predicted doom and gloom for 2013 were dead wrong. All we heard was 3-8 / 4-8. Guess what, we had a top ten defense in 2013. We won 8 games and played the elite teams on our schedule pretty damn tough, when all the Ferentz detractors were predicting another 4-8 season with the infinitely tougher schedule in 2013...remember those comments. Now, less than two years later, all the position groups will be better, except LB, and recruiting is looking up. How do you continue to hang your hat that the program was in a downward spiral as was suggested after the 2012 season. I'm not saying 8 wins is chest pounding material, I'm saying it was another step in bringing the program back to prominence. If you don't see that the program has found it's footing, and is moving in the right direction, well...you probably aren't smart enough to see how ridiculous you sound.

I was merely pointing out that all the naysayers who predicted doom and gloom for 2013 were dead wrong. All we heard was 3-8 / 4-8. Guess what, we had a top ten defense in 2013. We won 8 games and played the elite teams on our schedule pretty damn tough, when all the Ferentz detractors were predicting another 4-8 season with the infinitely tougher schedule in 2013...remember those comments. Now, less than two years later, all the position groups will be better, except LB, and recruiting is looking up. How do you continue to hang your hat that the program was in a downward spiral as was suggested after the 2012 season. I'm not saying 8 wins is chest pounding material, I'm saying it was another step in bringing the program back to prominence. If you don't see that the program has found it's footing, and is moving in the right direction, well...you probably aren't smart enough to see how ridiculous you sound.
......so, when are you predicting the next BIG title? 2014? 2015? Just curious. KF has 7 more years under his current contract. Does he win another BIG title before he's done?

......so, when are you predicting the next BIG title? 2014? 2015? Just curious. KF has 7 more years under his current contract. Does he win another BIG title before he's done?

I predict Ferentz will win a title the year after we fire that damn AD that's holding us back.

I'm not going to predict B10 titles. I will say, we will be in the hunt this year...which is a fair expectation heading into any season. If the defense gels with the new LB corp, we will be tough a tough out. Our offense, with 8 returning starters, is going to be much improved. If we can find a playmaker at RB and one or two a WR...guys who can be consistent, the team has a shot to play in the B10 Title game. No team in the country is going to control the line of scrimmage against us this year. I think we will be that good in the trenches. It's how our skill position players improve as to whether we take that next step.

I predicted a 2-10 season last year. Was very satisfied the way the season turned out. This yea I will be somehat disappointed if we are not in the hunt for the division title.

Well...if I wanted to be argumenative, which I don't, I would say "Good, KF fixed the obvious things he should have fixed. Therefore, I was justified in pointing out the obvious problems this program had in 2012."

Well...if I wanted to be argumenative, which I don't, I would say "Good, KF fixed the obvious things he should have fixed. Therefore, I was justified in pointing out the obvious problems this program had in 2012."

Ummm...the point was that people were saying he couldn't change or fix what was wrong, and his decisions (Greg Davis, various player personnel choices, time management, etc) were consistently bad...and that the team was in a downward spiral from which we would never recover. It took one year to recover to where we are now, so the brilliant prognosticators deserve to be called out a bit for their ignorance. The constant, "KF benefited from the Norm's defenses, otherwise even his good teams wouldn't have won...it was Norm that was the real person responsible for those championship years (bowl or B10)". Bullshat. I wasn't arguing that there were no issues, but I was arguing that 2012 was a perfect storm of sorts that magnified things to an out of control level. Injuries, a lack of depth due to attrition, and a new offense, put that team on a 6 game losing streak and people were searching for someone to blame it on. Injuries are a part of the game I get that, but when you lose your top two linemen within a few plays of eachother plus more injuries later in the year, well, it's a bit hard to replace those caliber of players when you are the youngest team in the league. I thought KF deserved the benefit of the doubt in turning things around. I think he's proven through the coaching staff upgrades, and the fact that he's allowing his coaches to change our tendencies (See Phil Parker) that he's a very valuable head coach and knows what he's doing.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - I think KF is a really good football coach. His only crime is that we experienced a 3 year period (2002-04) in which we were given the impression he was a GREAT football coach. A segment of the fan base has never forgiven him for that, but I really believe will look back in 20 years and believe KF was one of the best to ever coach the black & gold.

Latest posts