Where is all the Ferentz Hate?

Iowa goes 13-1 losing the round of 4. KF signs a contract extension for more money and same number of years on current deal. Next couple years IA is in the 8-9 win area and fans continue to call for his job.

I'm getting really tired of disagreement about something/someone being labled as "hate".

I'm pretty sure the comments from last year went well beyond disagreement. The point of the post was to have people who have vehemently questioned KF as the Iowa Football coach during and after the 2012 season post how they are feeling about him today. I was curious if they feel any different.

In my opinion he's addressed the following over the past two years:

1) Coaching Staff - All upgrades (jury out on Davis).
2) Clock Management - Very few poor clock decisions last year.
3) Conservative Offense - While our goal is to play power football which implies a conservative approach, we did things last year I haven't seen him do. The drive to seal the game against Michigan for example. I think this continues as the personnel at WR continues to improve. While the offense is still an issue against top defenses, it's improving and will be much better this year than last.
4) Defense - We are no longer a sitting back defense which was a major concern through the years. He's allowed Parker to make changes and be aggressive. The 3rd down packages were very successful in getting us off the field.
5) Recruiting - Having Woods, Reid, White, and BF on the road outside of Iowa has got to be playing well. We look completely different on the recruiting trail.

I'm getting really tired of disagreement about something/someone being labled as "hate".

Welcome to 2014. Can't take the criticism? ...unable to formulate a reasonable response? ... just call somebody a hater. And if you're really lucky...you may get to throw in racist too, as the situation allows.

I'm pretty sure the comments from last year went well beyond disagreement. The point of the post was to have people who have vehemently questioned KF as the Iowa Football coach during and after the 2012 season post how they are feeling about him today. I was curious if they feel any different.

3) Conservative Offense - While our goal is to play power football which implies a conservative approach, we did things last year I haven't seen him do. The drive to seal the game against Michigan for example. I think this continues as the personnel at WR continues to improve. While the offense is still an issue against top defenses, it's improving and will be much better this year than last.
4) Defense - We are no longer a sitting back defense which was a major concern through the years. He's allowed Parker to make changes and be aggressive. The 3rd down packages were very successful in getting us off the field.
5) Recruiting - Having Woods, Reid, White, and BF on the road outside of Iowa has got to be playing well. We look completely different on the recruiting trail.

WOTC, your list of things KF addressed reflects many of the gripes that the KF detractors had. Count me as one of his detractors during 2012. Now, because KF has addressed those issues, then: a) why would the detractors continue talking about them, and b) it lends credence and validity to the detractors opinions. I think KF still has improvements to make, but I do see a change in KF's approach. He even seems more forthcoming with information during interviews; as opposed to his typical cryptic coach speak. And again, 2012 should not ever happen when paying a coach what Iowa pays KF. Just shouldn't. Having said that, KF is taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen, again. KF appears to have done a mea culpa after 2012 and I fully respect that in any person. It isn't always an easy thing to do.

I agree with everything but 2. We didn't have many opportunities for clock management blunders so its impossible to say its improved. The only way it will be is if kirk defers to someone else on the staff.

Welcome to 2014. Can't take the criticism? ...unable to formulate a reasonable response? ... just call somebody a hater. And if you're really lucky...you may get to throw in racist too, as the situation allows.

Exactly. You can't have reasonable frustration over something or disagree with someone without being an ignorant hater. And then they pop out of the woodwork after a better season and say, "seeee, all you idiots who wanted Ferentz fired (hyperbole is their choice of response) and look where we are now!" Heaven forbid the fans have frustration over going 4-8 after also having a losing record the year before.

Iowa goes 13-1 losing the round of 4. KF signs a contract extension for more money and same number of years on current deal. Next couple years IA is in the 8-9 win area and fans continue to call for his job.

What the hell are you talking about?

Exactly. You can't have reasonable frustration over something or disagree with someone without being an ignorant hater. And then they pop out of the woodwork after a better season and say, "seeee, all you idiots who wanted Ferentz fired (hyperbole is their choice of response) and look where we are now!" Heaven forbid the fans have frustration over going 4-8 after also having a losing record the year before.

Or the guys who come out a year later and say the criticism wasn't that bad and it was just small disagreements about things. Go back and read the threads...fire Ferentz threads popped up and everyone wanted to lynch Barta. Every other thread was 4 million this and 4 million that. Every thread would always evolve to a KF bashing session. Where are these guys now? He's done what "the dislikers" said he couldn't. He's turned the ship, reloaded his coaching staff, and improved some of the areas that were the primary focal points of the criticism. What did everyone expect in the 4-8 season...new offensive coordinator, youngest team, and then injuries decimated the offensive line in game seven. They weren't great the first 6 games that year, but they did win at MSU and there is no way without the injuries they lose to Purdue, Indiana, and probably Nebraska. The level of the criticism was ridiculous for what went on.

Oh, and we didn't have a losing record the year before 4-8. We were 7-5 and played Oklahoma in the Insight Bowl.

Oh...well I didn't realize you were saying you were wrong. Sorry, I'll let it go.

2014 Iowa Hawkeyes Football Schedule

Date OpponentTime/TVTicketsSaturday
Apr. 26
iowa1.gif
Spring Football Game
Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA2:00 p.m. CT
BTN2Go---Saturday
Offense overwhelms defense

Aug. 30
northern-iowa1.gif
Northern Iowa Panthers
Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Big Win

Sept. 6Ball State Cardinals
Tickets
Saturday
Big Win

Sept. 13Iowa State Cyclones
Tickets
Saturday
Win

Sept. 20at Pittsburgh Panthers
Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, PATBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Close Win

Sept. 27at Purdue Boilermakers
Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, INTBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Close Win

Oct. 4---Open Date------Saturday
Oct. 11Indiana Hoosiers
Tickets
Saturday
Win

Oct. 18at Maryland Terrapins
Byrd Stadium, College Park, MDTBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 25---Open Date------Saturday
Close Win

Nov. 1Northwestern Wildcats
Tickets
Saturday
Close Win--ranked for first time

Nov. 8at Minnesota Golden Gophers
TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
First Loss--out of rankings

Nov. 15at Illinois Fighting Illini
Memorial Stadium, Champaign, ILTBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Win

Nov. 22Wisconsin Badgers
Tickets
Friday
Close loss

Nov. 28Nebraska Cornhuskers
Tickets
Saturday
Win

Dec. 6
big-ten-logo-70.png
Big Ten Championship Game
Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, INTBABuy
Tickets

No participation. 10-2 goes to Cap-1 or OutBack.

Last edited:
Give me time... The basketball season is still underway... Wisky lost... I love it. Anyway, it won't take me long to rant about Ferentz's offensive philosophy which is developmentally challenged.

Wish the best for the coaches and players as usual. We have a very favourable schedule next year. Anything less than 8-4 would be a travesty. 12-0, 11-1, 10-2, 9-3, all acceptable, 8-4 meh. A 5-7 or 6-6 record well that's reason to complain. However the ivy on the wall is beautiful. Oops sorry that's baseball.

Or the guys who come out a year later and say the criticism wasn't that bad and it was just small disagreements about things. Go back and read the threads...fire Ferentz threads popped up and everyone wanted to lynch Barta. Every other thread was 4 million this and 4 million that. Every thread would always evolve to a KF bashing session. Where are these guys now? He's done what "the dislikers" said he couldn't. He's turned the ship, reloaded his coaching staff, and improved some of the areas that were the primary focal points of the criticism. What did everyone expect in the 4-8 season...new offensive coordinator, youngest team, and then injuries decimated the offensive line in game seven. They weren't great the first 6 games that year, but they did win at MSU and there is no way without the injuries they lose to Purdue, Indiana, and probably Nebraska. The level of the criticism was ridiculous for what went on.

Oh, and we didn't have a losing record the year before 4-8. We were 7-5 and played Oklahoma in the Insight Bowl.
Here are a couple of points that deserve discussing.
#1. Barta should be fired (not lynched). Finishing dead last in the Directors Cup is the be all-end all of job performance for an AD. IMO and many, many others agree with that premise.
#2. compensation usually equates to job importance and/or job performance. The highest salaries are synonymous with the highest results. We can compare and contrast salaries vs NCs or NC/BCS game appearances by D-1 coaches, all day long and KF will not hold up well under those guide lines.
#3. An 8-4 record and a loss in a Bowl game is the bare minimum for most (above average) compensated coaches. You might call that righting the ship. Others might call that the bare minimum results required to keep his job, in the court of public opinion (or the opinions of the KF bashers, as you like to call them).
#5. The last half of the 1st paragraph is just excuses. Spare us. Everyone suffers injuries. Everyone suffers attrition.
#6. "we didn't have a losing record" ....should never be the start of an argument defending one of the highest paid coaches in D-1 football. You've lost any cred you had before the first sentence has been read.

As a person that has been a loud critic of KF, the reason I haven't said a word is because I have always stated that KF needs to win 8 games at a minimum. A lot of people stated that they are willing to support him after the 8 win season last year and in the future as long as he continues to improve the program in all aspects.

Are you looking for a parade because Iowa won 8 games? PR and JP are looking for more sheep if you would like to join the ISU fandom.

15 years. There's no new material to complain about. Ferentz is consistent. You know what you're gonna get every year. We will be in every single game. We will lose some of those games and it's frustrating. Go hawks.

Here are a couple of points that deserve discussing.
#1. Barta should be fired (not lynched). Finishing dead last in the Directors Cup is the be all-end all of job performance for an AD. IMO and many, many others agree with that premise.

lulz, teh Directors Cup?

Iowa has a football program that almost always makes a bowl and plays in NYD Bowls about every 2 or 3 years. Iowa has a basketball program that made it back to the NCAA tourney for the first time in 8 years and is set up for many more NCAA tourney berths in the near future. Iowa has a wrestling program that annually competes for national titles.

99% of the fan base is thrilled with the above scenario, at any school. The Directors Cup is for fans of schools who are terrible in either football or men's basketball. It's something for schools to hang their hat on that blow at a revenue sport. Iowa State would be a good example.

lulz, teh Directors Cup?

Iowa has a football program that almost always makes a bowl and plays in NYD Bowls about every 2 or 3 years. Iowa has a basketball program that made it back to the NCAA tourney for the first time in 8 years and is set up for many more NCAA tourney berths in the near future. Iowa has a wrestling program that annually competes for national titles.

99% of the fan base is thrilled with the above scenario, at any school. The Directors Cup is for fans of schools who are terrible in either football or men's basketball. It's something for schools to hang their hat on that blow at a revenue sport. Iowa State would be a good example.
You've set the bar so low. Why? Any 6 win team can make a Bowl game. Most Bowl games are played on NY's day. At least most of the games that the BIG are associated with. 1 NCAA tournament in the 7 years Barta has been AD is nothing to crow about. Barta should be ashamed of that. The Iowa wrestling program competed for National titles long before Barta was hired and he had nothing to do with hiring Brands.
Your excuses are transparent and feeble. But keep spending your time posting here, Gary. I'm sure you're a good enough beggar that you can overcome your **** poor record on hiring coaches.

Latest posts