Where Hawkeyes Head After Missing Out on D.J. Carton

Iowa hasn't landed the top in-state black players since Alford's early days. That's just a fact. Our best in-state players recently have all been white (Woodbury, Gesell, Uthoff, Weiskamp?). We haven't even landed any of the second tier black players. I don't know why, but they never stay in state (even for ISU).

Iowa hasn't landed the top in-state black players since Alford's early days. That's just a fact. Our best in-state players recently have all been white (Woodbury, Gesell, Uthoff, Weiskamp?). We haven't even landed any of the second tier black players. I don't know why, but they never stay in state (even for ISU).

Lol that is an interesting observation.

Personally I don't count Jok. He wasn't a top player in the state by the time he graduated. The buzz he had early in high school completely disappeared after the injuries.

I agree, Joks senior year was a weaker class for the state. And no big schools were after him.

I've seen so many good point guards on low major teams that would look pretty good running Iowa's offense. We don't need a 5 star. A good ball handler, passer, on ball defender, and passible shooter would be good enough with the talent in this team. They are not as rare as you think. We don't need need elete we need competent.

Uthoff was a skinny kid who was redshirting (no one that's got any talent is redshirted in college basketball) at Wisky and transferred back home and turned into a 1st Team All Big 10 player.

This is completely false. Wisconsin especially redshirted guys pretty frequently under Bo. He'd be the 10th highest rated recruit Iowa has had since 2003.

Peter Jok says hello.
Jok was a top prospect as a freshman in HS but as he started to get hurt didn't most of his offers disappear by the time he was a JR and SR? I think he had a few but no blue bloods or anything close to it really. Iowa and Fran was rewarded by sticking with him through the whole process. Even as of now I wonder how Joks career would have gone had he never gotten hurt like he did. His trajectory was skyrocketing and with that shot he had just imagine if he had more athleticism....

I've seen so many good point guards on low major teams that would look pretty good running Iowa's offense. We don't need a 5 star. A good ball handler, passer, on ball defender, and passible shooter would be good enough with the talent in this team. They are not as rare as you think. We don't need need elete we need competent.
This guy is already at Iowa IMO...Connor. And he is a year older, stronger and more mature after sitting last year. And he should know exactly what Fran wants.

Personally I don't count Jok. He wasn't a top player in the state by the time he graduated. The buzz he had early in high school completely disappeared after the injuries.
Fran does deserve credit for sticking with him...much like he deserves credit for evaluating talent and getting on guys early. There is no doubt in my mind that the talent Fran brings in is improving with each passing year...and that we are in on better players with each passing year.

Fran does deserve credit for sticking with him...much like he deserves credit for evaluating talent and getting on guys early. There is no doubt in my mind that the talent Fran brings in is improving with each passing year...and that we are in on better players with each passing year.
That's possible but he isn't doing as good a job of developing said players. When we made the NCAA'S in '14, '15 and'16 we were led by seniors like Devyn Marble, Aaron White and Uthoff all playing the best ball of their careers. Now many of our upperclassmen are falling to the end of the rotation or transferring out. And regardless of who is on the roster, we still have a coach who wins barely 30% of games decided by six points or less.

That will separate an NCAA team from an NIT team (or worse) in a hurry.

You understand how demographics work, right? There are like black people in about 7 areas in this state. The odds of Iowa getting that game changer who happens to be African- American, from this state, is not very high. Something I am not losing sleep over.

Just how big is this list anyway? Barnes and Paige? ISU couldn't even get Barnes and Paige would have been a tough get for Iowa even if they had had successful seasons leading up to his commitment to UNC. That's not including Jok, who by your judgment wouldn't even be a second tier player.

Just how big is this list anyway? Barnes and Paige? ISU couldn't even get Barnes and Paige would have been a tough get for Iowa even if they had had successful seasons leading up to his commitment to UNC. That's not including Jok, who by your judgment wouldn't even be a second tier player.
I remember when Chris Gaines played at Waterloo West in the mid eighties. He loved to play up tempo, loved to dunk, would have been a perfect fit on those running pressing Davis teams. He was a two time state tournament participant and Iowa Mr. Basketball 1986. But nobody in the big ten even recruited him hard. He ended up playing his college ball at Hawaii. He would be a terror in AAU leagues today. He wouldn't slip under anyone's radar.

Last edited:
Geneseo is right outside the Quad Cities(Davenport,Moline, Rock Island and Bettendorf). His Hawkeye fandom or lack thereof wouldn't be affected by that.

Sure, it is close. But the fact of the matter is that he did not grow up a Hawkeye fan, he has stated that repeatedly. In that sense, it doesn't really matter if he grew up just outside of the Quad Cities, or in the Twin Cities, or in St. Louis. He was close enough to make heavy recruiting logistically feasible, but Iowa did not have any advantage over any other B1G school due to his hometown.

Now maybe if Fran had gotten Iowa to a higher level by now, he would have been a Hawk fan, and perhaps things would have changed.

Sure, it is close. But the fact of the matter is that he did not grow up a Hawkeye fan, he has stated that repeatedly. In that sense, it doesn't really matter if he grew up just outside of the Quad Cities, or in the Twin Cities, or in St. Louis. He was close enough to make heavy recruiting logistically feasible, but Iowa did not have any advantage over any other B1G school due to his hometown.

Now maybe if Fran had gotten Iowa to a higher level by now, he would have been a Hawk fan, and perhaps things would have changed.

That’s my point proximity didn’t have anything to do with it.

I hope that a few things will happen to make him regret this terrible decision.

I want basketball fans within the state to avoid his basketball games in droves. He should know what it feels like to be abandoned by fans that once suppressed him as he had abandoned us.

Secondly, I want him to fail misserably where ever he plays college basketball at. May he watch from the bench as a failed college player as a successful Iowa men’s basketball team repeatedly destroys whatever team he is on.

Finally, I after college I hope that no professional team even considers him. Meanwhile Cook, Wieskamp, P. Mac and others thrive at the professional level, as he can only watch and think about what could have been.

Latest posts