Votes: 1 0.7%
  • UNC

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Kansas

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 5 3.3%

• Total voters
The only thing Woodbury and Gatens have in common is that both of their parents are Hawkeye fans. The Gatens recruitment was a lot like Horners and Olivers where they both verballed very early in their high school careers.

Woodbury will be a Hawkeye, book it.

I think one could argue that if the Hawks landed Woodbury & Gesell that they'd no longer be "rebuilding".

At that point, with what the Hawks would have coming back plus those 2 among others and we'd be players in the Big 10 for the forseeable future.

Landing those 2 could be the turning point from "rebuilding" towards just "building" off what could be a 20 win season and maybe an NIT run.

So, HawkeyeRyno...

...the distance of ten miles, according to Google Maps, is part of a rationale for him going to KU? I know that wasn't the crux of your argument, but it is basically the same.

You've now made up two posts in this thread. First when you said that Fred went after Woodbury and Adam said no thanks. Never happened. Second when you compared Woodbury to Gatens. Apples and Oranges. Gatens lived in IC and was a legacy recruit. Woodbury doesn't live in IC and has more offers than Gatens had.

I still think the Hawks get Adam though, as I just don't see the big boys calling at this point.

I stand by my comment that Fred Hoiberg made an inquiry with Woodbury and his interest in playing for the Clones. Oh, and Woodbury will be a Hawkeye regardless of who offers. I stand by that as well.

I think one could argue that if the Hawks landed Woodbury & Gesell that they'd no longer be "rebuilding".

At that point, with what the Hawks would have coming back plus those 2 among others and we'd be players in the Big 10 for the forseeable future.

Landing those 2 could be the turning point from "rebuilding" towards just "building" off what could be a 20 win season and maybe an NIT run.

I have to ask, you won 4 games in conference and you are lower tier in the conference recruiting classes the last five years, why do you think you're a player or two away from threatening for a league title you haven't won with your best teams in 30 years?

WE WANT WOODBURY!!! I vote IOWA!!!

I assume he is going to use an official to visit Iowa during a football game, hopefully for the Iowa State game. That would be a great environment for him to use his official, and hopefully the student section can show some love by chanting his name or something.

Can't have an official visit for a road game.

I have to ask, you won 4 games in conference and you are lower tier in the conference recruiting classes the last five years, why do you think you're a player or two away from threatening for a league title you haven't won with your best teams in 30 years?

Pot meet kettle. As have your beloved Cyclones yet Cyclone fanatics are talking conference title THIS YEAR and some even talking out their @$$ about a NATIONAL TITLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that I don't understand your perspective, but this isn't football where you need 22 capable players. If you have two very solid players in basketball, you can compete at a high level.

The truth is Woodbury has the ability to be the Blake Larson of Iowa basketball. No...not productivity wise. But rather he has the chance to be that first huge instate commitment that propels momentum into the program. Those of you who were around for Larson's announcement remember the buzz and momentum that his commitment created for the Iowa football program in a time of rebuilding and frustration. The excitement that Larson's signing created is something that is undervalued when people talk about the Ferentz era.

Sure, injuries and poor footwork kept Larson from making an impact. But on a larger scale, his commitment had a larger effect on the program than his play ever could have done. I foresee the same thing with Woodbury. Except I see him making a huge impact on the court as well. And yes, I expect him to be a Hawk.

Pot meet kettle. As have your beloved Cyclones yet Cyclone fanatics are talking conference title THIS YEAR and some even talking out their @$$ about a NATIONAL TITLE!!!!!!!!!!!

You gotta back that up with a link.

If there are any Clones talking about anything close to a Conf. title, they are under the influence, much like you must always be judging from your posts.

The truth is Woodbury has the ability to be the Blake Larson of Iowa basketball. No...not productivity wise. But rather he has the chance to be that first huge instate commitment that propels momentum into the program. Those of you who were around for Larson's announcement remember the buzz and momentum that his commitment created for the Iowa football program in a time of rebuilding and frustration. The excitement that Larson's signing created is something that is undervalued when people talk about the Ferentz era.

Sure, injuries and poor footwork kept Larson from making an impact. But on a larger scale, his commitment had a larger effect on the program than his play ever could have done. I foresee the same thing with Woodbury. Except I see him making a huge impact on the court as well. And yes, I expect him to be a Hawk.

Burky - great perspective! I hadn't thought of Larson in those terms, but it make a lot of sense. I talked to one of the coaches about Larson, both before he was signed and after he graduated. They weren't sold on him when they recruited him, but because of all the publicity, they couldn't afford to not take him. If he had gone somewhere else and "blown up" they would have been run out of town. But as you point out he paid dividends in a lot of other areas.

No idea about what the young man is thinking. I voted Iowa just because I'm hoping for the best.

If he grew up in an Iowa family that means alot. If I were a big time basketball recruit I'd play for Fran. I can't say that about the previous two coaches...

Burky - great perspective! I hadn't thought of Larson in those terms, but it make a lot of sense. I talked to one of the coaches about Larson, both before he was signed and after he graduated. They weren't sold on him when they recruited him, but because of all the publicity, they couldn't afford to not take him. If he had gone somewhere else and "blown up" they would have been run out of town. But as you point out he paid dividends in a lot of other areas.

I gotta call BS on this whole thing. We've got to take this guy even if he can't play dead would be one of the more unique recruiting philosophies to ever come down the pike.

I read on a recent article that his mom/parents are Iowa fans, which would make driving to see him play worth it in their book. Not saying that he is coming to Iowa because of this, but it sure doesn't hurt.
Example: Khia Stokes parents were Iowa grads, Dad was an Iowa legacy from the hay day of Iowa basketball and it didn't help Lisa out.

I gotta call BS on this whole thing. We've got to take this guy even if he can't play dead would be one of the more unique recruiting philosophies to ever come down the pike.

He already said that he doesn't think that Woodbury would be Larson-like in regards to performance. But Larson "opened the floodgates" on the rebuilding effort for the football program. Woodbury would likely have a similar impact, even if he ended up not panning out.

Latest posts