Where does this comeback rank all time OMG Moments????

In 30 years of being an Iowa fan, this ranks No. 1 ... Hands down ... All of the others you mention are definitely moments we all remember (at least those of us who are old enough to remember them) ... But this has to be No. 1 on the unbelievable moments ... just from the standpoint of what we witnessed for three quarters, and from the standpoint what happened in the fourth quarter ... Still can't believe it ... Kudos to the fans who stayed and were rocking Kinnick in the 4th ...

I'm not sure I've completely absorbed today's comeback yet. I have to let it sink in before I can rank it. Right now, it seems less significant to me than PSU '08 and MSU '09, not to mention some of the big games back in "my generation".

I was at a Cubs game today so I missed this game :( (I had free tickets and my wife's niece and nephews had a chance to go for the first time and they were excited to go so I went out of family obligation mostly). I never thought anything like this would happen. I was texting with my dad and he told me the score was 24-3 so I figured I didn't miss much today but then all of a sudden he was texting me updates during the comeback and I was excited and ****** off at the same time.

Very cool that they won though and I am watching a replay right now.

I'm not sure I've completely absorbed today's comeback yet. I have to let it sink in before I can rank it. Right now, it seems less significant to me than PSU '08 and MSU '09, not to mention some of the big games back in "my generation".

Significance is one category...but 'I'll never see that again' is sort of the angle I am taking, and probably didn't do a good enough job setting it up. But even then, its hard to parse out significance

It was 2002 Purdue. That was a game we had no business winning, and it was nuts. Blocked a FG just before the half and returned it for a TD. Blocked a punt for a TD. Dallas Clark 95 yard TD. Defense getting a huge three and out in the final minutes to get the ball back to Banks. Banks' huge run on the final drive. Banks to Clark to win it on 4th down. And an INT on Purdue's final drive to ice it.

That game really spring-boarded the 2002 team on to greatness. Most special seasons will have one game against a solid opponent when the team just doesn't play well, but needs to make plays and have some luck to win. That was the game. I was there in person, and hadn't hugged my old man that much since I was a kid. Best game ever.

It's up there, no doubt about it. Is it number 1? That remains to be seen, kinda like the 2006 defensive stand. If the comeback triggered something in the team that lasts the whole season then it may be #1. You need to add in the 2008 comeback and FG against Penn State. That win triggered something in the team. They figured out how to win and went on an amazing run.

The OMG moment in this game came for me after the TD to get to 27-17 When Gettis waved his arms asking for noise for quite a while is what will endure for me in my mind. That is because of all the dude has been through and the fact that he is a Senior (kirk's adversity refrain comes to mind), I just felt at that moment he was saying to my section IM NOT GONNA LET US LOSE THIS GAME NOW CHEER YOUR LUNGS OUT FOR THE DEFENSE BECAUSE THEYRE GOING TO BUCKLE DOWN AND MAKE A PLAY!

The D came through and the rest is history, Gettis had a real bloody sock moment.

Last edited:
Iowa has been fortunate over the last decade for having those OMG moments, because they make being a Hawkeye so much more satisfying. I sometimes feel bad for fans of lesser teams who's defining moments are usually letdowns or fluke wins.

Significance is one category...but 'I'll never see that again' is sort of the angle I am taking, and probably didn't do a good enough job setting it up. But even then, its hard to parse out significance

Ohhhhhh. Well in that case I have to go with the comeback against the Hoosiers. I don't think I'll ever see another game like that. The improbable TD from Sash on the pick and the back to back 1 play drives were just crazy.

one of best, I kept my head cool at half, and after being down 24-3. I posted in multiple threads "calm down, whole half left"

so glad we stayed with it!

Iowa has been fortunate over the last decade for having those OMG moments, because they make being a Hawkeye so much more satisfying. I sometimes feel bad for fans of lesser teams who's defining moments are usually letdowns or fluke wins.

It makes sense though, we play a style that creates a lot of close games so we have a lot of "OMG moments" and a lot of heart breakers too. Being a Hawk fan under Ferentz has sure been a roller coaster.

Ohhhhhh. Well in that case I have to go with the comeback against the Hoosiers. I don't think I'll ever see another game like that. The improbable TD from Sash on the pick and the back to back 1 play drives were just crazy.

That was more of a WTF moment. Like WTF is indiana doing going in to ice the game at 27-7? WTF is this random old man doing in my season ticket seats of 8 years booing the whole game and then leaving 2 plays before... THE WTF moment that will live in infamy Tyler MFING Sash and then all the OLD LADIES jumping up and down after the go-ahead TD, the noise of 70585 plus the people who I have never seen cheer at the top of their lungs was yet another WTF. And then the topper at the end of the Wegher TD to ice it was the penultimate WTF!

WTF

Last edited:
In terms of a single moment, I have to put Hyde's interception return in the Insight Bowl up there.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNgBxkvwEyY]Iowa INT TD 2010 Insight Bowl - YouTube[/ame]

He basically changed the way I'll remember that season in one play.

I mean it could be UNI, which would be great. But it could be Cuse, which would suck.

Could be something completely different.

I have too agree..... I was watching this game with Mrs. Twinlaker until the 4th quarter and then some "friends" showed up who are not football fans and I had to watch the game with the sound turned down. I am not sure I really grasped what was going on, on the screen!
Will there be a replay somewhere? I need to see that 4th quarter again!:eek:

This may be the greatest single game comeback in Iowa History (by the numbers it certainly is). In terms of importance, that remains to be seen. The other games listed in this thread, most definitely carry more weight. But, this come-back was simply amazing. One of the best games I have ever witnessed live at Kinnick.

Latest posts