Where does this comeback rank all time OMG Moments????

Today reminded me a lot of the 2009 season. At least at the qb position. In 09, stanzi would make horrible decisions putting us in terrible positions thru 3 quarters. Remember all the pick 6s? While JVB was not throwing pick sixes, he did make some poor decisions and passes that could have been intercepted, and at times and looked inconsistent thru 3 quarters. However, just like stanzi in 09, she was stellar in their 4th quarter drives.

What an awesome finish to the game. Watching on tv I got the sense that this team grew by light years in that 4th quarter and this team finally has an identity. It was impressive to see. It was exactly what I, as a fan(sure the players also), needed after last week.

1996 v. MSU @ Kinnick. Iowa was down big and came back to win 37-30. I don't know how much they were down by at the worst point in the game, but it was a lot. 2+TDs. Can't find a box score out there, but i'm sure this is the game i am thinking about - Slutzker caught at least one come-back TD, I think more than 1. Being at the game, it was a game filled with the OMG moments, like today. in fact, when they said today was the biggest come back since (whatever the date was) I thought for sure it would reference this game.

Hey, twinlaker, your friends are idiots.

I'm sure you know that, but maybe you can show them my post if you are too nice to tell them to stay away from your house when Iowa is playing because you don't want their kind of freakin' company.

It's up there, no doubt about it. Is it number 1? That remains to be seen, kinda like the 2006 defensive stand. If the comeback triggered something in the team that lasts the whole season then it may be #1. You need to add in the 2008 comeback and FG against Penn State. That win triggered something in the team. They figured out how to win and went on an amazing run.

Good call on the Syracuse goalline stand. I think right now it's similar to that, against a Big East team that could turn out to be terrible too. We'll have to see how the season plays out to see if it's a turning point or just a crazy, fluke game. I'm extremely interested to see what the offense looks like next week. I really hope we see a lot more 3 wideout shotgun formations.

I'm 36. Watched the Hawks since I was about 5...I don't ever remember a football game where we were getting beat this badly and came back to win. I think this one wins hands down.

This is the longest sustained rally ever,over 16 minutes of almost perfect football. I mentioned to my buddy early in the 4th that the Hawks had to play perfect to pull out his miracle,and by god,they damn near did it.

Having an opponent who was so fully complicit in the comeback by stubbornly sticking to their no-huddle is what made it even possible With no turnovers to get the ball back,that should not have been possible.

This was exciting, but nothing is going to top The Catch for me. That had me running all over the house screaming to high heaven with joy.

Ill always remember the "stand" because I listened to that whole game on the radio. It was insane listening to that and having no idea what was going on. I do remember that Jason Manson started that game lol

Ill always remember "the catch" because I was there. It was a crazy day and i just remember loving that team so much and being crushed when I thought they were done. I went to 9 of that teams 11 games that year so it was a very special team for me

The two blocked kicks was crazy cause I got to watch the first half then had to go to a wedding where I was sneaking text alerts of the game. The wedding let out and I ran down to the basement just in time to see the first block on a kitchen sized tv in a room with 30 other Iowa fans

The two blocked kicks was crazy cause I got to watch the first half then had to go to a wedding where I was sneaking text alerts of the game. The wedding let out and I ran down to the basement just in time to see the first block on a kitchen sized tv in a room with 30 other Iowa fans

Yeah, I was thinking comeback...this one is the best comeback.

But OMG moments? Blocking two kicks is one that I don't think will ever be matched.
:)

I thank you for the memory...Long walking into the endzone will forever live in my memories.

That was a great game, certainly more meaningful since we were number 1. But it seems were were only down 24-13. This was a much bigger game but as far as a big comeback it doesn't hold a candle to this one.

no, but has to rank in top 10, no? for biggest comback/OMG moments, especially given iowa's ranking, etc.

I think the Indiana game in '09 was the closest and I've said this already. IU was about ready to put the nail in the coffin and then Sash took it to the house with an unlikely interception. I still felt we were done but had hopes. And then Stanzi took over forgetting his dreadful day, that is what great QB's do. Fast forward to this year, Vandy forgot about his dreadful day and took over just like his mentor...that is what great QB's do. Time will tell, but I think this kid is a good one.

This is the best comeback I guess.... but the best OMG moment? The Cook catch, the Holloway catch, and the McNutt catch. Take your pick.

Say that extra point doesn't get blocked vs Arizona and we end up winning, how high would that comeback rank? I was going crazy during the Binns pick 6!!

Say that extra point doesn't get blocked vs Arizona and we end up winning, how high would that comeback rank? I was going crazy during the Binns pick 6!!

That would be right up there had we made the XP. I got some wicked chills down my spine when Binns was running that back, just thinking "Here we go again.....oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!!!!"

I feel very fortunate to have witnessed personally many of those games and as fan reaction goes and program significance, I have to still stay with The (Haughtlin) Kick and The (Holloway/Tate) Catch. Those kept people "high-fiving" and "goosebumped" a lot longer than the others.

I think the Indy game was a stunner, and it was later in the season and we knew what the team had and was capable of, crazy for sure. UNI was improbable, but to me, it was like we would block it again three more times if they had to. I think these early games are less impressive because we haven't yet seen the benefits of the result on the season and therefore, while exciting and lucky, not as significant as some of the big ones. They certainly help set the tempo for the season though.

All those other mentioned games carry more importance, only because they came later and were more significant in the fulfillment of our expectations. And the OMG moment is caught more in an instant.

Today, I'm still needing to re-watch the quarter and fully take in the achievement accomplished. As well as see how the season plays out. Did we get lucky? Did we deserve to win? Do we have talent and capability? I was sure down on some of the earlier playcalling, was it the behind the scenes coaching? Is it going to help define this team and year? I wasn't on the edge of my seat. It was more, "it's about time". In coach-speak, "it leaves us with more questions than we had before"!

Great article Jon, with all the clips and memories. We are truly lucky to have so many and such great moments and games, and all THESE moments are a large part of what make being a Hawk fan so satisfying and worthwhile.

Latest posts