Where Are They Now: B.J. Armstrong

All time favorite player of mine hands down. Got the chance to meet him a few times. Once right after his senior year when they used to do that senior tour around the state playing games for charity. They were up in Le Mars and he had his wrist in a cast and just played a little bit. If I remember right his wifes grand parents used to be from Storm Lake. Not sure if that's still true or if they are still with us but he also used to coach at the Iowa camp they used to have during the summers. I got him to sign his rookie card for me there not that I'm bragging. :)
I didn't know he was living in LA raising his family. Figured he'd have stayed in the Midwest. Glad he's doing well.

I have to agree - BJ is my all-time favorite Hawk, too. I was only in middle school when he played for the Hawks, but I remember that me and my family just loved him.

BJ, Roy & Ed - Those guys were my heroes as a kid and were the face of Iowa hoops. I remember how sad I was after they played their last game and knew I'd never see them in Hawkeye jerseys again. Right after that 2OT loss to NCST... D@mn you Rodney Monroe!

This podcast had an interesting interview with BJ Armstrong. Interview starts at 31:52 mark.

https://www.theringer.com/2019/6/18/18684214/one-shining-podcast-ncaa-bill-self-bj-armstrong

Good story about his recruitment ... Basically, BJ was ready to go to Michigan State until Scott Skiles told him (during his visit) that he better be prepared to sit on the bench for 3 years. Then, he looked at Michigan who already had Gary Grant (who was a freshman) and Antoine Joibert so they told BJ he had to redshirt. He also visited Boston College. So, he turned to Iowa because he wanted to play in the Big 10. They joked about it being another Fab 5 ... Horton, Marble, Gamble, Armstrong, and Jepsen. :)

Thanks that was fun to listen to. Good head on his shoulders and nice to hear about his love for Iowa. Wonder what would have happened if Fran had pursued him for an assistant? Said he couldn't say no to U of I... Love to see him on the sideline someday! Don't think he'd have any trouble bringing in the players.

With all the press Marble, Horton, Gamble, etc., got on the '87 team, Armstrong was obviously the MVP. Very smart player, great shooter and handle. Now that I think of it, that's a description of a current player.
I'll still go with Kevin Gamble. Big time clutch shooter, not just in the Oklahoma game. Very consistent. BJ frequently got abused on defense (for that matter Gamble did too) by big guards like Rumeal Robinson , Troy Lewis and Kendall Gill.

BJ's best year was probably his junior year when he fully established himself as a big time scoring point guard. He really developed the jumper that year. His senior year he struggled a bit by comparison, and took a backseat to Marble and Horton.

Thanks that was fun to listen to. Good head on his shoulders and nice to hear about his love for Iowa. Wonder what would have happened if Fran had pursued him for an assistant? Said he couldn't say no to U of I... Love to see him on the sideline someday! Don't think he'd have any trouble bringing in the players.
To hell with that. With his overall experience, you bring him in as Iowa’s next AD (unless offered to KF) or Associate AD after Barta’s tenure is over.

One of the best.
He did big time one night at the Fieldhouse. Right after he got drafted, saw him there and congratulated him, he just walked away from me.

Still a great Hawkeye and player. And a big part of those Bulls championships.

Assistant? He should be Iowa's next head coach. I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

I have to agree - BJ is my all-time favorite Hawk, too. I was only in middle school when he played for the Hawks, but I remember that me and my family just loved him.

BJ, Roy & Ed - Those guys were my heroes as a kid and were the face of Iowa hoops. I remember how sad I was after they played their last game and knew I'd never see them in Hawkeye jerseys again. Right after that 2OT loss to NCST... D@mn you Rodney Monroe!

Monroe went off for 40. Monroe and Corchiani were a pretty tough backcourt. I can't remember if Tom Gugliotta was part of that team or not.

It broke your heart(mine as well) because deep down inside you knew it was the end of something special.

This podcast had an interesting interview with BJ Armstrong. Interview starts at 31:52 mark.

https://www.theringer.com/2019/6/18/18684214/one-shining-podcast-ncaa-bill-self-bj-armstrong

Good story about his recruitment ... Basically, BJ was ready to go to Michigan State until Scott Skiles told him (during his visit) that he better be prepared to sit on the bench for 3 years. Then, he looked at Michigan who already had Gary Grant (who was a freshman) and Antoine Joibert so they told BJ he had to redshirt. He also visited Boston College. So, he turned to Iowa because he wanted to play in the Big 10. They joked about it being another Fab 5 ... Horton, Marble, Gamble, Armstrong, and Jepsen. :)

Scott Skiles was a notorious shit talker. Skiles had a receding hairline and looked 30 when he was like 12, but he could straight up ball. I have no doubt in my mind he told BJ be prepared to sit for 3 years.

One of my all-time favorite Hawks. Just a steady player and really grew into his own his last two years. I'll never forget this one full court bounce pass where he was in the 1/2 to 3/4 court range trucking up court, then with just his right hand got under the ball from a dribble at full speed running and made a one bounce pass to a player (prob Marble or Gamble) between two defenders for a layup or dunk. It was a thing of beauty. I'll try to find it on Youtube.

One of my all-time favorite Hawks. Just a steady player and really grew into his own his last two years. I'll never forget this one full court bounce pass where he was in the 1/2 to 3/4 court range trucking up court, then with just his right hand got under the ball from a dribble at full speed running and made a one bounce pass to a player (prob Marble or Gamble) between two defenders for a layup or dunk. It was a thing of beauty. I'll try to find it on Youtube.
It was Marble in 1989 vs Ohio State. Big Monday. Which meant Mike Patrick/Dick Vitale were courtside. It was the same game that Jay Burson broke his neck, but continued playing until halftime. Today they would immobilize him to a stretcher and not let him even attempt to get up.

Scott Skiles, as a college player, was definitely a badass. Just ask John Thompson, who Skiles eliminated in round two of the NCAA's his senior year. Skiles would make a shot or drop a dime, then start barking at Thompson and the Georgetown bench as he ran back up the court.

I had completely forgotten about the BJ bounce pass, even though I was in attendance that night. It wasn't until recently that I saw it either on YouTube or some old highlight reel.

Last edited:

Latest posts