When was the loudest you have ever heard Kinnick?

I0WA

I have to say it was the 2010 Iowa vs Wisconsin game. I think it was the 3rd down that "Sconny didn't convert with about 3-4 mins left in the 4th and we were up by 6 points. Granted, they converted on a fake punt, and we all know how that game ended up, but I think that was the loudest I have personally heard Kinnick. How bout you guys?

Last edited:
1992 versus Miami. The crowd literally willed a bad Iowa team to a highly competitive game. 2003 Michigan a close second. I was not there for 85 Michigan or 84 Ohio state but the bide on Hawkeyehistorian's youtube page make those games seam crazy!

I have to say it was the 2010 Iowa vs Wisconsin game. I think it was the 3rd down that "Sconny didn't convert with about 3-4 mins left in the 4th and we were up by 6 points. Granted, they converted on a fake punt, and we all know how that game ended up, but I think that was the loudest I have personally heard Kinnick. How bout you guys?

This is exactly it for me. There was more time left in the game than that, but it was after the 2nd down...I was standing on the sidelines, as I was on assignment for the BTN that day...I was standing next to two Cap One Bowl reps...who were talking about how loud it was on 2nd down. I told them 'It's going to 11 here pretty quick' and over the loudspeaker tolled the bell of 'Hells Bells' and the place when freaking crazy. I have never heard it that loud. Most of the 'old guard' in the media agree that that was the loudest they have ever heard it. Mike Hlas for one, who has been to every Iowa home game since the early 80's

The most consistent noise for a game was 2003 Iowa v ASU...the crowd was one with the defense that day. It was pretty spectacular.

I disagree, I was at that Wisky game, and it didn't compare to how loud it got after Murray made that kick.

There have been a lot of loud moments at Kinnick, the loudest was prolly the Sash pick 6 against Indiana in 2009. The quietest was prolly a week later when Corey "Wrecking Ball" Wootton ended Stanzi's regular season.

I really dont know what the loudest was. The following are what I remember as the loudest in no particular order:

2010 Wisconsin
2008 PSU
2003 Michigan
2002 ASU
2002 Purdue after Clark's TD

Loudest FB game I was ever at was 2009 OSU ot game at the Shoe. That was an event.

I disagree, I was at that Wisky game, and it didn't compare to how loud it got after Murray made that kick.

Hell, I still don't believe Murray's kick was the loudest it got during THAT game. I still believe it was even louder on Sash's interception. At that point, you just had a feeling we were going to pull it out. But before he made that play, all appeared lost. The Kick was almost anti-climactic.

Still, Wisconsin 2010 in the 4th quarter does it for me.

There have been a lot of loud moments at Kinnick, the loudest was prolly the Sash pick 6 against Indiana in 2009. The quietest was prolly a week later when Corey "Wrecking Ball" Wootton ended Stanzi's regular season.
Went to that game and was like 50 ft from it. It replays in my head everyday and at night I dream about why I didn't run from the bleachers and chip block that gargantuan behemoth. If I did that we would have won the National Championship. :(

2004 vs Wisconsin
2009 vs Michigan
2005 vs LSU after the catch. I dont know if it was loud or if i blacked out but i was so excited the only thing i could hear in my mind was YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

2009 vs Indiana during Iowa's comeback and 2008 vs Penn State, especially on Penn State's fumble on the first possession. The student section was a mosh pit for that and it was awesome. Also, the start of the OSU vs Iowa game in 2006.

2004 vs Wisconsin
2009 vs Michigan
2005 vs LSU after the catch. I dont know if it was loud or if i blacked out but i was so excited the only thing i could hear in my mind was YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I don't remember this game taking place at Kinnick.

03-05-2012 09:36 PMdjwoody98
1985 Iowa vs. Michigan. /End thread.

When Jim Harbaugh has to ask the refs repeatedly for more time on the clock to call plays and more time to hike the ball without suffering a delay of game because his own linemen can't hear him, and the refs AGREE with him and permit an indefinite amount of time to hike until the crowd quiets down, nuf said.

I do not think it is possible that the 1985 Michigan game was the loudest. I think the stadium capacity has gone up since then.

I do not think it is possible that the 1985 Michigan game was the loudest. I think the stadium capacity has gone up since then.

True, but the stadium design has changed, too. The south endzone has a much more gradual slope than the rest of the stadium (safety codes have changed since the place was originally built). The more gradual the slope, the more noise is allowed to escape. And the students now sit in that portion of the stadium, a double blow to the volume potential.

I'm not saying it was or wasn't louder in '85 (I have no way of knowing). But I have little doubt that it's possible.

Latest posts