When the NCAA tourney came, the Richmond Spider ended up the Hawkeyes *itch...official IA Richmond Game thread NCAA R1

For about the first time in forever, I turned off the TV with about 3 minutes to play. I absolutely could not believe Iowa could play so poorly. Very sad, because this loss will be a memory that will hang around for years. The toughest team I have seen for a long time absolutely choked. Don’t even bother to blame Fran, the Refs, or about anything else except that. I hope Keegan was either sick or injured. I have never seen him bail out of a game until today. And, he had plenty of company. Will not watch another game in the Dance. Spring football is on the agenda.

I just read, after my post, that Keegan had 21 points. I over reacted. But I maintain that overall, he just looked off.

Last edited:
frank martin made a good comment on the post game show...

in tournaments like this you cant rely on the 3... you are going to have off nights and its not like the NBA where you can have one bad shooting night and still dominate the series.

Frans teams are not really built for tournament success.

tournament teams are often more defensive/ slug fest types.

we like to run and gun.. and when they are not calling fouls like today and we are missing our 3s... then you going to lose.

in tournaments like this you cant rely on the 3... you are going to have off nights and its not like the NBA where you can have one bad shooting night and still dominate the series.

we like to run and gun.. and when they are not calling fouls like today and we are missing our 3s... then you going to lose.
YOU CAN ONLY RELY ON THE THREE IF YOU ARE A DAVID TRYING TO SLAY A GOLIATH AND YOU HAVE NO REASONABLE HOPE OF GETTING BEYOND THE SWEET 16 AND ATTAINING THAT WOULD BE AKIN TO WINNING THE NATTY FOR YOUR PROGRAM. LIKE IF YOU'RE UNI TRYING TO BEAT KANSAS YOU WILL LIVE AND DIE BY THE LONG BALL. BUT IF YOU ARE IOWA PLAYING THE SIXTH BEST TEAM IN THE A-10 AND YOUR GAME PLAN IS TO LOB 29 THREE POINTERS YOU ARE IN TROUBLE.

Disappointing to say the least that Keegan didn't adjust his game to be a low block player against a shorter team when he was missing his shot. It's basketball 101 to make easier shots when you are struggling. Also the team wasn't crashing the boards like they have been lately. Kris didn't even get off the bus. Keegan was expending a lot of energy on Defense and again a solid (not great) point guard made Iowa's guards look like they were stuck to the floor. At crunch time Iowa couldn't stop Richmond.

Well goodbye Keegan, JBo, and probable Conner. Never sniffed a sweet 16. Now we get to see who played and was unhappy with their usage via the portal. Fran either needs to scour the land for a center and pg or really use the developmental skills on the players he has and the ones coming in next year. It really sucks seeing Indiana still in the tourney. Hell should have lost to them like that poster said, got more rest and get to play a virtual home game. Seems like a lot of Big Ten team got to play near home, but not the Big Ten Tourney Champs. Goodbye to the Men's BB forum til next season. Again so dissappointed, can't imagine how the players feel.

Man, you couldn't have said it better. When you struggle from deep, you take it to rack. When you can't get to the rack, you go home. Richmond had a great plan. Slow it down... make Iowa a half court team.
That took guts for Richmond not to abandon THEIR plan. They were letting Iowa hang around just as much as Iowa was Richmond.

this game isn't on Fran...you need your guys to show up and they didn't. Iowa should have won this by 10+

Well goodbye Keegan, JBo, and probable Conner. Never sniffed a sweet 16. Now we get to see who played and was unhappy with their usage via the portal. Fran either needs to scour the land for a center and pg or really use the developmental skills on the players he has and the ones coming in next year. It really sucks seeing Indiana still in the tourney. Hell should have lost to them like that poster said, got more rest and get to play a virtual home game. Seems like a lot of Big Ten team got to play near home, but not the Big Ten Tourney Champs. Goodbye to the Men's BB forum til next season. Again so dissappointed, can't imagine how the players feel.
Well Indiana is playing in Portland and don't look like their going to be in the tournament much longer.

And had we not won the tournament last week after getting as far as we did that would have been held against Fran and the team.

JBo give us a pretty good example of how the players feel. He sobbed his way through the press conference.

Decided to watch a few more games in the tournament after a break

There were two particular plays that guaranteed the spider win

Both were similar and unfortunately, the Hawks did not get the benefit of a call

Perkins touch foul on the missed three gave 3 points to Richmond

Kris was fouled in a similar manner Right in Front of the Zebra and didn't get the call

It all comes down to sour grapes

We were completely outplayed, almost like we were in a different dimension or
time zone, sleepwalking

There is always next season

:cool:

Well that sucked but when i saw the draw i knew we were in trouble. I liked the Richmond matchup it was the early game time and travel to Buffalo. 5 games in 8 days you could tell in the first 10 mintues they were dead tired. Shots were short and got out hustled. Problem was we kept bombing away from 3 instead of posting our guys up that was on Fran.

Haven't read all the stuff on the board lately but do we know what the deal was with Ulis? Hurt?

About the tired thing. If Fran had some people in to pick up some minutes and give rest vs. Purdue why not the same thing if they were tired. Of course I go back complaining about the conditioning of Frans teams. Plenty go into the tourney after conference tourneys and are not tired. Fran's teams have certainly at times have not had the wind they should have towards the end of seasons.

Good coaching doesn't let you keep heaving far shots if you are tired. You are supposed to take a step in and change your aim focus to back of the rim instead of over the front when you are tired. Didn't see it being addressed which is on Fran.

Partly an excuse but need to admit Frans role if they were dead tired four days later. Find out what the issue is and fix it. Not like it is an issue for everybody.

Well that sucked but when i saw the draw i knew we were in trouble. I liked the Richmond matchup it was the early game time and travel to Buffalo. 5 games in 8 days you could tell in the first 10 mintues they were dead tired. Shots were short and got out hustled. Problem was we kept bombing away from 3 instead of posting our guys up that was on Fran.

Perhaps the main problem was that Fran and the team Overlooked the spiders

Their concentration was on Providence not a bunch of little spiders

Perhaps they were paying Too Much attention to the experts picking them going
to The Final Four and Dick Vitale crowning them the National Champs

Perhaps they thought the spiders would be a cakewalk

Once we beat them, smash the spiders, we have bigger problems awaiting

Providence, Kansas, Auburn then Arizona to win the Championship

Perhaps the main problem was that Fran and the team Overlooked the spiders

Their concentration was on Providence not a bunch of little spiders

Perhaps they were paying Too Much attention to the experts picking them going
to The Final Four and Dick Vitale crowning them the National Champs

Perhaps they thought the spiders would be a cakewalk

Once we beat them, smash the spiders, we have bigger problems awaiting

Providence, Kansas, Auburn then Arizona to win the Championship

Any of those are no excuse for missing shots.
Dick V had Kentucky winning it all against Iowa.
They were tired plain and simple.

Latest posts