When the NCAA tourney came, the Richmond Spider ended up the Hawkeyes *itch...official IA Richmond Game thread NCAA R1

If I am Keegan I stay, Look at Luka would it have made much difference if he played one more year? He is spending most of this year playing in front of no one in the G league with just a few actual NBA games. I would rather play another year in college it is the best years of your life. If you are really great the money will still be there in a year, and for Keegan he need to get stronger to compete in the NBA!!

Going to follow the Iowa woman but the men’s tourney is dead to me. Feel like Mediacom f-#$ing with my internet was a sign and made me upset from 4 min. into the game. Then watching Keegan give all the Iowa haters a chance to say “overrated” hurts as usual. Keegan still has something to prove, see if that makes a difference in his decision to stay. We got a kid coming in next year who is a natural pg. Gotta find a center! Go LadyHawks, Clark time! She’s not a choker, Fran should check her availability for next season.

If I am Keegan I stay, Look at Luka would it have made much difference if he played one more year? He is spending most of this year playing in front of no one in the G league with just a few actual NBA games. I would rather play another year in college it is the best years of your life. If you are really great the money will still be there in a year, and for Keegan he need to get stronger to compete in the NBA!!

Well you're not Keegan and I highly doubt if you were in his shoes you'd stay either. Keegan's dream is to play in the NBA and he is going to get that opportunity. You say that you'd stay because you're an Iowa fan and you want what's best for your team.

Ya, Keegan is the real winner today. He will still be an instant millionaire. Fran will also be just fine.

But, no Sweet 16 or better for the rest of us.

It hurts, I really thought they had something.

I thought they had something as well. We(Iowa) are just like those garbage ISU teams that won conference tourneys.

So who has been with the team since last Sunday to know how Fran approached this game and the preparation? That’s what I thought.

One team looked hungrier than the other to me and that also contributes to outcomes.

Well you're not Keegan and I highly doubt if you were in his shoes you'd stay either. Keegan's dream is to play in the NBA and he is going to get that opportunity. You say that you'd stay because you're an Iowa fan and you want what's best for your team.
Keegan needs to work on strength big time. He just got pushed around today.

Think Keegan really had to change his game about two weeks ago when suddenly refs across the country started calling everything a charge on drives. He was going coast to coast all season but coaches started having their players flop on all his drives and he had to start pulling up and shooting or passing. Have no reason why the change in play calling started by the officials but it changed Murray’s game.

The role he is going to play in the NBA will not put him in the 5 position very often.

Stop with this guys, Keegan is going to be a high first round pick in the NBA. Just stop!
May be first round but the talk on him was getting a little high and mighty. Im sure he'll take this poor performance to heart and keep working.

So who has been with the team since last Sunday to know how Fran approached this game and the preparation? That’s what I thought.

One team looked hungrier than the other to me and that also contributes to outcomes.
One team had 4 seniors who were committed to their coaches game plan.

Fran with the excellent Alford impression. Rich little would be proud.

Where was Ulis btw?

If you can't shoot with the ball or the background or whatever the reason than don't shoot 29 3's. Keep playing for the outside shot. At a few points I thought they were gonna go in and get some more fouls but ended up taking 12 FT's for the game. You don't need to do the Tom Davis thing and make more than they take but you shoot 4 less and they only took 16.

Ogundele can get minutes against Purdue but not against Richmond?

Kinda did what old Iowa does. Slow or no adjustment just try a little harder doing the same that had you down anyway. Not the take control and play from ahead team in most of the games after we turned the corner. We had one little push and they weathered it and held on the rest of the way. Who is who there? They should have been the one with only one punch that we stymie and get control of the game after that.

Fran got out coached. Nice job taking away what Iowa liked to do and for what Richmond liked to do Iowa did not stop those things well at all. Can't think you are better and just do your thing in the tourney. You need to show up trying to stop the opponent. If you have a game on your hands and you aren't prepared to get them out of their stuff you are gonna fall short getting over that hill very much like they did today.

This is probably Fran's big NCAA hurdle. Teams he doesn't know. Made all these great adjustments and line up changes to some good teams in the last 14 games but not against a nice but not great Richmond team. Not familiar and they revert to trouble figuring things out again.

There was that point right when we had our biggest lead and PMac launched that unnecessary 3 and missed that I knew we weren't gonna win right then. Not that they didn't look right before that but it signaled they weren't gonna take control.

Pretty much. If the threes aren't falling, there's nothing. Iowa tried to drive to the paint, but every time a Richmond defender was right there, positioned perfectly. All game Iowa's drivers were forced to stop and toss it back out to the perimeter so Kris, Keegan, and JBo could clank another three attempt.
Man, you couldn't have said it better. When you struggle from deep, you take it to rack. When you can't get to the rack, you go home. Richmond had a great plan. Slow it down... make Iowa a half court team.

It’s rich to hear people say stay off social media and practice more to kids who entire lives revolve around playing basketball. These kids couldn’t possibly practice anymore or sacrifice more of themselves for the game. Ya know what college and pro athletes have a lot of? Down time.

Really tough to see Fran getting to that sweet sixteen. Has had more big talent lately and that didn't fix it of course.

Only chance is if he has a real good floor general like he had on that Siena team and combines with Keegan like talent and would be nice to have a decent center that boards and can change a few shots. JBo and JT are not the coaches on the floor type. CMac kinda is that but he is not a bring up the ball attack and breakdown the defense point guard. If we put JT and Cmac into a blender perhaps? :)

Last edited: