When JBo returns next year...

Who's the starter at PG, first game next year?

• JBo

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Joe T.

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I

Ian Pike Hammer

will he be handed the starting job...just because he's JBo? What about his lack of defense? How'd Joe T. do in his stead?

If he is healthy, yes he will be handed the starting PG job back. Or at least a starting position. He is one of the deadliest 3 point shooters in the country and an All-Conference caliber player. He is also clutch. He also makes his FTs. Yes his defense is not great, but we are Iowa, not Wisconsin. We gonna score 85 a game next year.

Not even sure I understand the premise here.

I think the only really open question, maybe, is who plays the 4. I vote that Connor keeps the job, but at least there is room for discussion there.

I’ve been saying that if it were up to me Joe T would start. The starting group has plenty of offensive firepower what they lack in is defense, and Joe T is our best perimeter defender. Starting Joe T allows you to have better matchups to start the game and to play man to man defense.

Jbo would still get his minutes and he would absolutely be in there at the end of the games. He would provide scoring pop off the bench and could win 6th man of the year in the league.

Now if I were a betting man, I’d say I guess Jbo would be the starting PG. Fran always priorities offense over defense and Jbo has been a three year starter and great hawkeye.

It’s not a bad problem to have but in my personal opinion starting Joe T makes more sense.

To some degree I think it depends on how much JoeT improves his game over the summer. He needs to cut down on his TO's and improve his outside shot, although it was looking pretty good down the stretch. I trust both of these players to not make it an issue no matter who starts.

To some degree I think it depends on how much JoeT improves his game over the summer. He needs to cut down on his TO's and improve his outside shot, although it was looking pretty good down the stretch. I trust both of these players to not make it an issue no matter who starts.
That’s a good point. The Joe T we had this year would sometimes have two turnovers in the first three minutes of the game. Clearly we don’t want that.

I’m really high on what an offseason can mean to his development but that still has to happen.

Kind of hoping that Garza’s work ethic is contagious throughout our roster. They see Garza doing two / three workouts a day and the success he had and every guy realizes they have to work that hard.

JT starts, dishes, runs opposing players ragged, then the assassin steps in and sinks three 3 pointers, Repeat 2nd half, except Jbo ends the game shooting foul shots where he only misses every 35th attempt.........

Really doesn't matter who starts, both will be drenched w/sweat at the end of the game..............

I guess IMO opinion who starts is irrelevant. I'm more concerned with who's put into the role of closers responsible for being the 5 guys leaned on to finish tight games.

I guess IMO opinion who starts is irrelevant. I'm more concerned with who's put into the role of closers responsible for being the 5 guys leaned on to finish tight games.

Well, in that case, assuming we are trying to protect a lead, we might have both JBo and JoeT on the floor at the end of games. Both are excellent FT shooters.

Today’s game is a GUARD’S game. Even the 4’s and 5’s in the pros handle the ball and shoot 3’s. Got no problem playing 3-4 ‘guards’ at any time. With Luka down low and the floor spacing our shooters will demand, this offense will be unreal

Someone needs to remind Mr. Niang that he's only one man and can drop the "s" from his first name. That said the way his NBA career has flourished it only makes sense to live in the past.

I say start with JT at the point, JBo and CJF at the wings, JW at the 4 and Garza at center. JT's job on offense is to penetrate and dish to the marksmen and JT will get his points also.

And JT to the rim can dump to garza for easy buckets.

JT can also play better on ball defense to try to shut down the opponent pt guard. With JBo on the team even an early 2nd foul on JT is not crushing.

I think all the players on the team will be playing the perimeter a lot and I would like to see more guys without the ball breaking thru the wide open middle of the defense and setting up some back doors.

If he is healthy, yes he will be handed the starting PG job back. Or at least a starting position. He is one of the deadliest 3 point shooters in the country and an All-Conference caliber player. He is also clutch. He also makes his FTs. Yes his defense is not great, but we are Iowa, not Wisconsin. We gonna score 85 a game next year.

Not even sure I understand the premise here.

I think the only really open question, maybe, is who plays the 4. I vote that Connor keeps the job, but at least there is room for discussion there.
Nunge is your 4 if he's completely recovered. That will allow Wiescamp to guard threes and not wear down as much getting beat on by fours.

I like JT's game and think he will develop this offseason and be a significant contributor. But, if JB is healthy, he will start, and he should start.

Yes, JT is a much better defender, but did you really see a player who was all conference out there? He gets into foul trouble, is careless with the ball, gets out of control, and his shooting is well below what is needed at this level. How many times did Fran bench him this season? Can you remember the last time Fran benched JB?

JT has a bright future, but ask any coach in the league if he would rather have a healthy JB or JT and you will get the same answer out of every one of them.

Again, I appreciate the discussion, but JB is your starter when healthy.

I am excited to watch them both play next season. Gonna be fun if we are all healthy.

I think a healthy Nunge may start at the 4 as well, but man, given all that CMc does on the court, his leadership and the season he had this last year, it is very difficult for me to picture pulling him out of the starting line-up.

And, I agree that who starts is overblown, but its not nothing.....

Latest posts