What's Fran's Best Selling Point?

He probably will need to pull another Rabbit out a couple of rabbits out of his hat like Basabe and Cartwright to have any legit selling points. Playing time doesn't seem to attract today's top high school talent. I think it is much mire desirable to transfers.

I was respnding to Shanes post of he's not lickliter.

What's their projected verticals and 3 point percentages? And while you're at it, might as well throw in their ability to someday take guys off the dribble...

55 inches and 87%. With projections like that you can forget about beating guys off the dribble.

Playing time.

Chance to be part of something special (a turn around)

I still don't think that is the selling point that is going to get top out of state high school kids. I just think he needs to go out and get his two really strong performers in Spring and then win about 18 games next year and get to the post season.

That will make recruits take notice. Particularly if Basabe is All B10 and White shows the flashes I expect him to show next year. Add the New facility and a revived fan base and that will be enough.

If playing time was such a great selling point, then why do we lose kids to UNC? Why do we lose kids to Kansas? Why did Brust bail for Wisky or Lawson to Florida? Seriously, it is totally overrated, except perhaps for transfers who only have a couple of seasons.

Style of play is a good one, but it is hard to sell style of play when you don't have the players to execute your style.

Really the truth is his selling point is the B10. Which means he is going to have to pluck a couple more guys like Basabe and Cartwright in Spring. Do that and B10 COY in 2011/2012 will change everything.

The OP asked for the "Best" selling point so this would be mine:

Chance for immediate and considerable playing time in an uptempo program on a big stage where virtually every game is televised around the country and even to other parts of the world.

Realize that combines at least four factors (style of play, playing time, major conference, BTN) but that is a pretty powerful one-sentence statement of why you should come to Iowa.

Additional potential selling points:
- Experienced staff that develops players.
- Great university and campus.
- New, state-of-the-art training facility.
- Being part of something special that restores pride in a proud program.
- Hot team mom.

Interesting, two selling points missing from that list:
- Attractive playing facility.
- Supportive playing environment that is hostile to opponents.

Probably depends on the recruit. Take Gurerro,for instance. He is a flashy player,who has some showman in him. Fran can sell his style of play(fast) that will feature Cezar. He can point to Iowa's recent run of 25 straight years in the top 20 in attendance as evidence that Iowa fans will fill the house for exciting bb. He can explain how Cezar could be the ignition to exploding Iowa bb upward in every way. How he can be a featured star-quality player at Iowa,like Ronnie Lester was,that triggers a revival for Iowa bb.
These star recruits all have some ego,or they would not be stars.
Fran is high energy,his system is high energy,and he just needs a lead pg that will add the high energy to Carver. Cezar could be that guy. Sell it,Fran!

Every recruit is different...find the right buttons to push,that is part of wooing women,or recruits.
A juco wants immediate playing time,and that usually is a big selling point for them,and so hopefully, Fran has identified some big juco guys to pitch that opportunity at Iowa.
As far as Fran not getting every recruit he has pitched so far?....this is a rejection business he is in. There are 360 competitors for these recruits,and Fran is not ''connecting'' because he has not had a 100% or even 50% success rate? C'mon...we are not North Carolina. It is kind of ridiculous to even suggest that Marcus Paige's selection of UNC over Iowa suggests anything about Fran...Roy Williams is not chopped liver.

Probably depends on the recruit. Take Gurerro,for instance. He is a flashy player,who has some showman in him. Fran can sell his style of play(fast) that will feature Cezar. He can point to Iowa's recent run of 25 straight years in the top 20 in attendance as evidence that Iowa fans will fill the house for exciting bb. He can explain how Cezar could be the ignition to exploding Iowa bb upward in every way. How he can be a featured star-quality player at Iowa,like Ronnie Lester was,that triggers a revival for Iowa bb.
These star recruits all have some ego,or they would not be stars.
Fran is high energy,his system is high energy,and he just needs a lead pg that will add the high energy to Carver. Cezar could be that guy. Sell it,Fran!

Every recruit is different...find the right buttons to push,that is part of wooing women,or recruits.
A juco wants immediate playing time,and that usually is a big selling point for them,and so hopefully, Fran has identified some big juco guys to pitch that opportunity at Iowa.
As far as Fran not getting every recruit he has pitched so far?....this is a rejection business he is in. There are 360 competitors for these recruits,and Fran is not ''connecting'' because he has not had a 100% or even 50% success rate? C'mon...we are not North Carolina. It is kind of ridiculous to even suggest that Marcus Paige's selection of UNC over Iowa suggests anything about Fran...Roy Williams is not chopped liver.

Any Iowa kid who is good enough to go to Duke, UNC, West Virginia, Kansas, even Ohio State, is likely gone and their departure should not be a black mark against Fran (or any other in-state coach for that matter), at least for a few seasons until we are back to high respectability.

I have no info about the new practice facilty but does it really give us an edge or does it just catch us up with the rest of the teams in the conference that already have this?

Catches us up, I believe. IIRC only one other team in the B10 besides us (NW?) doesn't already have a dedicated practice facility. But it will take away one reason to pick another school over us.

I think the biggest thing he can offer is playing time, and playing time in a major conference. Good players want to play at the highest level, and they want to appear on television.

Fran can sell the fact the players can be part of something special in Iowa City and the resurgence of Iowa basketball. Unfortunately, most of these kids he is recruiting probably know very little about Iowa basketball since the program has not really been in the spotlight in the past 10 years.

I think Fran is a player's coach, which is a good selling point. He knows how to coach. He know how to crack the whip but more important is he knows how to praise his players as well.

Yes, the practice facility will be a nice addition. But I honestly don't think a new practice facility is going to be the deciding factor for a kid to come here. Yes, nice facilities are important, but look at Duke. They basically play in a high school gymnasium.

CHA is still a nice facility and the upgrades (including the practice facility) definitely have to help "sell" the Iowa program. But when it comes down to it, kids want playing time and they want to feel at home and like the players and coaches.

The first thing you hear players say after signing with a program is how much they like the coaches and future teammates.

Playing time, playing style, Big Ten Network- don't discount this, at Iowa a guy like Cezar can be seen by his family about 95% of the time. If he goes to Oklahoma State, he will be seen on the rare ESPN game, of FSN regional.

I think a strong selling point being left out here is playing with Basabe, who will soon be one of the best big men in the Big Ten. Playing with talent is an attractive proposition.

This might be a bit overrated. He has lost far more recruiting battles than he has won at Iowa. Doesn't seem to be a Pastner, Barbee, or Lavin closer type. I don't think his personality hurts, but there is no evidence he is one of those types of characteristic recruiters who recruits just click with. Otherwise, he would have been able to close the deal with more recruits.

As I said, the best bet is to find a couple of more hidden gems, show significant improvement next year and hope the 2012 kids in Iowa have the patience to wait until the Spring signing period.

Pastner, Barbee and Lavin can get anyone into school, so your comparison is way off base. McCaffrey had about 20 minutes to recruit after dealing with the Fuller, Larson and Brust drama. He landed Basabe and Cartwright-our two best players-so I would not throw him under the bus. He has to recruit kids to come to a last place program without much talent on the roster, so it's not all on him.

Latest posts