What would it take...

Esteshawk

For the Hawks to overtake Georgia at #2? Even if we beat down PS and Georgia looks mediocre, the pundits no way in hell will let us climb any further. I know, just keep winning but I'm just wondering after Saturday. National media is praying we lose.

For the Hawks to overtake Georgia at #2? Even if we beat down PS and Georgia looks mediocre, the pundits no way in hell will let us climb any further. I know, just keep winning but I'm just wondering after Saturday. National media is praying we lose.
A Georgia loss. The Hawks would have to put up 50 points a week for the next month to even have the slightest chance to overtake Georgia otherwise.

If the hawks go 13-0 and win the BTen Champ Game then Iowa will jump Georgia if they lose to Alabama in the SEC Champ Game. I assume bama and georgia do not play each other in the regular season.

If we are truly in a league with Alabama or Georgia we will get our chance to prove it on a monumental stage. Just be careful what you ask for.

If the hawks win Saturday then fans are definitely going to be asking for them to win the BIG and face either Georgia or Bama at some time

If the hawks go 13-0 and win the BTen Champ Game then Iowa will jump Georgia if they lose to Alabama in the SEC Champ Game. I assume bama and georgia do not play each other in the regular season.
I think Georgia is the better team this year. I'm not sure Bama is better at any single position. We have a better chance of overtaking Bama in the rankings then Georgia in my opinion.

Either way it doesn't make much a difference unless Bama dropped to #4 because if we were the #2 we would still have to play Bama if they were # 3.

GA still has to play KY at home and @ FL, among others.
And then Bama most likely in the Atlanta champ game.

Lots of landmines.

I just remember how many times we have asked (I know how I have asked) could Iowa's defense hold Alabama under 24 points? To think it is even a possibility we could see the answer to that question this year is amazing.

Still a long way to go, but the chances are far from zero.

If we are truly in a league with Alabama or Georgia we will get our chance to prove it on a monumental stage. Just be careful what you ask for.
I'd play Bama in November at night in Kinnick. They just lost their top RB for the year, apparently. Their line is mortal, and so is their defense. That Florida game wasn't a fluke. They might drop a random game before the end of the season.

Georgia, though? Watching what their line did to the Arkansas defense was terrifying. Just an inexorable mark down the field at five yards a pop. It was the exact type of drive that has killed so many Hawkeye dreams, and they did it over, and over, and over again. Just like Iowa, they've gotten their OL figured out, and they looked unbeatable. Not flashy, but just efficient and deadly.

Last edited:
I'd play Bama in November at night in Kinnick. They just lost their top RB for the year, apparently. Their line is mortal, and so is their defense. That Florida game wasn't a fluke. They might drop a random game before the end of the season.

Georgia, though? Watching what their line did to the Arkansas defense was terrifying. Just an inexorable mark down the field at five yards a pop. It was the exact type of drive that has killed so many Hawkeye dreams, and they did it over, and over, and over again. Just like Iowa, they've gotten their OL figured out, and they looked unbeatable. Not flashy, but just efficient and deadly.

I was curious to see if Alabama has ever been to the Midwest to play a Big Ten school. It happened once clear back on 1928 when they lost at Wisconsin. I think the only other Big Ten school they’ve ever played in a regular season game is PSU.

Any team anywhere with a football in their hand is capable of beating you. That's why they play the games. Weird things happen.
I was just reminded of App State Michigan in another thread. It's hard to imagine two teams more separated, talent-wise, where the underdog won, than that game. Chad Henne is *still* in the league, and has over 13,000 total yards in the NFL. Manningham had 6 years in the league with 2,849 yards receiving. Defensively, Trent played for 3 years in the NFL, albeit sparingly, and had 87 tackles or something, total. Michigan had nearly 500 yards in that game, to App State's 400. They had an almost 200 yard rusher that day in Hart. App State lost the turnover battle, and Michigan had a yard per play differential of +.44. They won everything except points and TOP. Yet they lost. Anyone, anywhere, anytime can beat anyone else.

I was just reminded of App State Michigan in another thread. It's hard to imagine two teams more separated, talent-wise, where the underdog won, than that game. Chad Henne is *still* in the league, and has over 13,000 total yards in the NFL. Manningham had 6 years in the league with 2,849 yards receiving. Defensively, Trent played for 3 years in the NFL, albeit sparingly, and had 87 tackles or something, total. Michigan had nearly 500 yards in that game, to App State's 400. They had an almost 200 yard rusher that day in Hart. App State lost the turnover battle, and Michigan had a yard per play differential of +.44. They won everything except points and TOP. Yet they lost. Anyone, anywhere, anytime can beat anyone else.

Exactly, a couple of tipped balls that get intercepted, some untimely penalties, a fumble or two lost, a missed FG and all of a sudden your team has 5 empty possessions. And worse the turnovers can turn into quick points for the opponent and all of a sudden your team is down by 17.

GA would just have to lose a game they 'shouldn't'. Iowa winning out takes care of literally everything so I'm not worried about it. Raise your hand if you thought Iowa would be rated 3 at this point (or any point) of this season? I sure didn't so let's enjoy this shit. We are the center of the college football world this week with the biggest game on the slate. Win that and it's almost all downhill from there to the BIG title game.

Questions I have is say Iowa is undefeated and loses a close game to say a 1 loss OSU team do we get in playoffs? If so that would mean it'd be a SEC vs BIG 2 on 2 tournament leaving out a most likely undefeated Cincinnati.

Or what if say Michigan runs the table and Iowa beats them does a 1 loss Michgan team get in? (who woulda beaten OSU to do that) That's not even factoring in PSU and how their season goes from here. It's going to be wild yet with a lot to sort out,

Georgia's resume is better than Alabama's and they meet the eyeball test. I think Georgia should be #1. Iowa aint overtaking either of these teams unless they lose. The SEC is top heavy, so it would not shock me if both win out and face each other.

Just be glad Iowa is in B1G West instead of B1G East. I don't think the Hawks would go unscathed in the East.

Latest posts