What would it take...

Just be glad Iowa is in B1G West instead of B1G East. I don't think the Hawks would go unscathed in the East.
Yeah the east could devour themselves and have the top 3 all beat each other. Or one could run the table. There's a lot to sort out on that side. I mean hell MSU even looks legit again. So it's going to be fascinating to see how everything goes

'Football consist mainly of blocking and tackling, work hard, play smart heads up football"
Knute Rockne'..... When we block well, we run and pass well.....When we Tackle well (man I love our SWARM to the football) they don't move the ball as well. al? psu? ga? osu ? who cares? HEAD DOWN !! Fire off the ball !!! GANG TACKLE !!! Win the man on man match up!! ... focus on the job at hand!!! and the results/ rankings will take care of themselves!!!
PLAY LIKE YOURE CAPABLE !!!! DO YOUR JOB!!!! GO HAWKS!!!

I just remember how many times we have asked (I know how I have asked) could Iowa's defense hold Alabama under 24 points? To think it is even a possibility we could see the answer to that question this year is amazing.

Still a long way to go, but the chances are far from zero.

Nobody has held Alabama below 30 for quite some time. I think Miss state held them to 24 that year Iowa played them...somehow Iowa scored more on them than Alabama did.

Nobody has held Alabama below 30 for quite some time. I think Miss state held them to 24 that year Iowa played them...somehow Iowa scored more on them than Alabama did.

Miss State had two freak players on that defense that disrupted everything Bama tried to do. Clemson held them to 16 that year as well, but Clemson's d-line was ridiculous. Bama moved it at will between the 20s and as soon as they hit the red zone and the windows got small and Clemson didn't have as much green space to cover Bama's offense just went into park. You need that kind of line to do that to Bama.

GA would just have to lose a game they 'shouldn't'. Iowa winning out takes care of literally everything so I'm not worried about it. Raise your hand if you thought Iowa would be rated 3 at this point (or any point) of this season? I sure didn't so let's enjoy this shit. We are the center of the college football world this week with the biggest game on the slate. Win that and it's almost all downhill from there to the BIG title game.

Questions I have is say Iowa is undefeated and loses a close game to say a 1 loss OSU team do we get in playoffs? If so that would mean it'd be a SEC vs BIG 2 on 2 tournament leaving out a most likely undefeated Cincinnati.

Or what if say Michigan runs the table and Iowa beats them does a 1 loss Michgan team get in? (who woulda beaten OSU to do that) That's not even factoring in PSU and how their season goes from here. It's going to be wild yet with a lot to sort out,
You made my head hurt

Questions I have is say Iowa is undefeated and loses a close game to say a 1 loss OSU team do we get in playoffs? If so that would mean it'd be a SEC vs BIG 2 on 2 tournament leaving out a most likely undefeated Cincinnati.
Nope. Until there is a set qualifier system instead of a popularity contest, Iowa isn't getting in the CFP unless we win the B1G. Small market teams ain't getting in when there's advertising and viewership money in play.

I don't even thing the B1G champ is guaranteed. Like the year NW won the west. Let's say there was a fluke game and they beat OSU in Indy. There's a negative 50 chance they let the Fighting Titzgeralds in the CFP because they have about 12,000 fans in the stands by the 4th quarter even when they're winning, and probably about just as many TV viewers. A team like NW could go undefeated 13-0 And they'd never get in.

Iowa isn't at that level obviously and with a B1G championship we'd get in, but that's the one and only way.

Nope. Until there is a set qualifier system instead of a popularity contest, Iowa isn't getting in the CFP unless we win the B1G. Small market teams ain't getting in when there's advertising and viewership money in play.

I don't even thing the B1G champ is guaranteed. Like the year NW won the west. Let's say there was a fluke game and they beat OSU in Indy. There's a negative 50 chance they let the Fighting Titzgeralds in the CFP because they have about 12,000 fans in the stands by the 4th quarter even when they're winning, and probably about just as many TV viewers. A team like NW could go undefeated 13-0 And they'd never get in.

Iowa isn't at that level obviously and with a B1G championship we'd get in, but that's the one and only way.
I do think in most years we'd be out. The 2 reasons why I think we could be in though is we'll have been ranked 3-4 most of the season long. We keep winning and we aren't going to get leap frogged by a Cincinnati. Who's schedule gets way worse as their season keeps going. Most likely they get jumped by some of these depending on how they all keep winning. OU, OSU, Michigan & maybe MSU as yr goes on and they'll bitch about it every week.

Would any of them leap frog Iowa too? I don't think so only whichever undefeated BIG team were to beat us in the BIG title game. With only 1 loss coming to the BIG winner from the east I would think we'd still be in. Maybe an undefeated OU would leap us. But they don't look like they will run the table. It's interesting that's all I know

I do think in most years we'd be out. The 2 reasons why I think we could be in though is we'll have been ranked 3-4 most of the season long. We keep winning and we aren't going to get leap frogged by a Cincinnati. Who's schedule gets way worse as their season keeps going. Most likely they get jumped by some of these depending on how they all keep winning. OU, OSU, Michigan & maybe MSU as yr goes on and they'll bitch about it every week.

Would any of them leap frog Iowa too? I don't think so only whichever undefeated BIG team were to beat us in the BIG title game. With only 1 loss coming to the BIG winner from the east I would think we'd still be in. Maybe an undefeated OU would leap us. But they don't look like they will run the table. It's interesting that's all I know

An all Big Ten vs SEC playoffs would be interesting but I don't think it happens. I think the only way Iowa gets in as a 1 loss team would be if they lost to PSU this Saturday in a close game and then ran the table, winning the Big Ten championship game.

An all Big Ten vs SEC playoffs would be interesting but I don't think it happens. I think the only way Iowa gets in as a 1 loss team would be if they lost to PSU this Saturday in a close game and then ran the table, winning the Big Ten championship game.
The only way that would happen though is if that's against an undefeated PSU in a rematch and not say Michigan or a 1 loss OSU team. I assume that's how you mean that. I don't think a 1 loss Iowa team gets in beating anyone else in that game.

With that case Cincinnati would have an argument and most likely next team up. They'll think they should be in almost regardless how the dominos fall but their SOS is going to be weak. Especially if ND gets beat again. They really need ND to win out from here and look good doing it but I don't think they will.

To continue the what if game. I would root for a 2 tm SEC against 2 tm BIG final 4 to happen for this reason. It'll be the extra push they need to continue the expanding of the playoffs. There'd be way more folks hate that matchup then like it and they wouldn't even remotely want it to. In fact I could see them not letting it happen even if it should due to it. So who knows we are a long ways from it being a reality yet....

I still think Alabama could trip up at some point which would definitely throw a monkey wrench into things. Their last two games are Arkansas and Auburn, and then they'll likely have to play Georgia in the SEC title game. If Alabama is 2nd in the SEC with say, 2 losses, then it gets dicey as to who gets in. All the more reason to require winning your conference to get in.

The only way that would happen though is if that's against an undefeated PSU in a rematch and not say Michigan or a 1 loss OSU team. I assume that's how you mean that. I don't think a 1 loss Iowa team gets in beating anyone else in that game.

With that case Cincinnati would have an argument and most likely next team up. They'll think they should be in almost regardless how the dominos fall but their SOS is going to be weak. Especially if ND gets beat again. They really need ND to win out from here and look good doing it but I don't think they will.

To continue the what if game. I would root for a 2 tm SEC against 2 tm BIG final 4 to happen for this reason. It'll be the extra push they need to continue the expanding of the playoffs. There'd be way more folks hate that matchup then like it and they wouldn't even remotely want it to. In fact I could see them not letting it happen even if it should due to it. So who knows we are a long ways from it being a reality yet....
I'll go so far as to say that with college football being the SEC + Ohio State on a pedestal over everyone else, there's no way a 1 loss Iowa team ever gets in. No matter what. Until the day comes that cronies aren't picking the teams, you'll never see Iowa in the thing unless they win the B1G and even then it'd be questionable if they have a loss.

I still think Alabama could trip up at some point which would definitely throw a monkey wrench into things. Their last two games are Arkansas and Auburn, and then they'll likely have to play Georgia in the SEC title game. If Alabama is 2nd in the SEC with say, 2 losses, then it gets dicey as to who gets in. All the more reason to require winning your conference to get in.
Yeah that'd be a monkey wrench no doubt. All my takes were assuming Bama wins out and they and GA play a close game in their SEC title game. I'd absolutely be down for that kind of chaos though. Bring it on. We haven't really had a debate of more then 1 team at the end being left out. It'd be interesting if like 3 teams were all on the fence.

I'll go so far as to say that with college football being the SEC + Ohio State on a pedestal over everyone else, there's no way a 1 loss Iowa team ever gets in. No matter what. Until the day comes that cronies aren't picking the teams, you'll never see Iowa in the thing unless they win the B1G and even then it'd be questionable if they have a loss.
Yeah I can see that take. There's enough 'haters' who's opinions matter that that could very well be the case. I'm just happy to be having this convo. I mean wtf there's been like 6 or 7 yrs of KFs tenure where many folks wanted him fired. Now we are in the drivers seat to win the west with legit chance at getting in the playoffs.

I'd point out that Barta is the committee chair but frankly given the quality of his tenure at the University I'm not sure he has the business acumen to get an undefeated Iowa in the playoffs.

If Iowa losses this Saturday in a close game I don't think they would drop very far in the polls, an O'Keefe predicted blowout would be a different story. I think Iowa would have a very good shot at one of the 4 spots if they ran the table and won the Big Ten Championship game.

Michigan State got into the 4 team field back in 2015 even though they lost to an unranked Nebraska team on November 7th of that year. I can't imagine Iowa losing on October 6th to another top 5 team and being eliminated.

Latest posts