What would it take...

The only way that would happen though is if that's against an undefeated PSU in a rematch and not say Michigan or a 1 loss OSU team. I assume that's how you mean that. I don't think a 1 loss Iowa team gets in beating anyone else in that game.

I don't think the opponent matters in the Big Ten game. Any one of PSU, Michigan, or OSU would be very highly ranked winning the East.

I was curious to see if Alabama has ever been to the Midwest to play a Big Ten school. It happened once clear back on 1928 when they lost at Wisconsin. I think the only other Big Ten school they’ve ever played in a regular season game is PSU.

I do believe they have a home and home coming up with Wisconsin. Which sucks because it looks like Wisky is in the midst of a down cycle.

I don't think the opponent matters in the Big Ten game. Any one of PSU, Michigan, or OSU would be very highly ranked winning the East.
The reason I think it matters is if Iowa were to do it against PSU is because they are highest ranked BIG team now and would be then if they win out. Iowa beating them in a rematch with only having lost to them would mean more then say beating a 1 loss OSU team already or Michigan undefeated or not. Iowa would need every ounce of credibility to get in playoffs with 1 loss and even under my scenario I don't think it's a given they'd get in.

Just be glad Iowa is in B1G West instead of B1G East. I don't think the Hawks would go unscathed in the East.
TBF, neither would Bama or Georgia. They're good, but nobody faces 4 top ten teams in 6 weeks and goes unscated in postmodern CFB.

They're Georgia and Bama, not Tampa Bay.

TBF, neither would Bama or Georgia. They're good, but nobody faces 4 top ten teams in 6 weeks and goes unscated in postmodern CFB.

They're Georgia and Bama, not Tampa Bay.

I'm not as confident as you on this.

Nick Saban + Alabama + SEC + CFP

For example, just last year between 12/19 and 1/11, Alabama beat #7 Florida, #4 Notre Dame, and #3 OSU in consecutive games. They were 1 top 10 win away from doing what you described.

I think we'll see someone do it, possibly even soon (even sooner if the CFP field expands).

Edit: I just looked and LSU did the same in 2019. They beat 7 top 10 ranked teams that season. Not quite the right order to meet your "4 in 6" criteria, but I have a feeling they might have been able to do it.

Last edited:

For example, just last year between 12/19 and 1/11, Alabama beat #7 Florida, #4 Notre Dame, and #3 OSU in consecutive games. They were 1 top 10 win away from doing what you described.

I think we'll see someone do it, possibly even soon (even sooner if the CFP field expands).

Edit: I just looked and LSU did the same in 2019. They beat 7 top 10 ranked teams that season. Not quite the right order to meet your "4 in 6" criteria, but I have a feeling they might have been able to do it.

Bama also did that

And they played Auburn the week before Florida. Bama's annual title run is almost always the worst possible stretch in football: Auburn, then the better of Georgia or Florida, then a top 4 team followed by another top 4 team. The only exception is the year they lost the Iron Bowl and didn't make the SEC title game but then played Georgia in the CFP title game.