What were the refs discussing after the field goal?

The players voted, unanimously, NOT to accept the silver medals. If that's what they choose, you damn well accept it. They're the ones who got screwed, not you or other fans.

In a bit of delicious irony, Russia can't--literally--buy their way into the Olympics in Track & Field for all the failed and/or manipulated drug/doping tests.
That's my whole point. Everyone knows they got screwed. Everything about international rules in basketball was designed to screw Americans. On the defensive end, some forms of goaltending are, or at least used to be, legal. Players were allowed to knock the ball out while it is in the cylinder. On offense, the alley oop used to be illegal, another disadvantage for the Americans.

The IOC, with all these silly international rules, including allowing the "euro-step" had a vision even then to grow the game on an international level. Their efforts got a huge kick start in 1972.

I still think we looked like entitled brats to refuse the silver medals. We got even with the Soviets anyway, with the 1980 Miracle On Ice.

I think it was a glitch in the matrix.
Kind of like OSUs and PSU's schedules next year.
We take care of business next year and we win the B10, not just the west.
Possibly a Iowa and Michigan in the championship.
We have had some great games with them.
Because you know half of OSU's guys are gone after making it to the final four.
PJ will be in rebuild mode. Northwestern can't rebound that fast. Wisconsin has been beatable as of late. Nebraska will get better, but we have them at home also.
We come out swinging and do well and take care of business on the road, then we get Wisconsin at home to finish the year!!!!

Another part of refusing the medals was the way Brundage and the IOC absolutely dropped the ball with thee massacre of the Israeli athletes/coaches, not suspending the games until several delegations demanded it, then all but turning the memorial into a chest-thump about how successful the games were. Worse, they allowed certain nations go refuse lowering their flags to half staff at the memorial.

That particular Olympiad was awful. Eddie Hart and Rey Robinson being given incorrect times for 100 meter heats, and then Soviet and other delegations trying to DQ them from the 4 x 100 relay because of it. The IOC, the Germans, Soviets, etc., were bad enough, but when people expect the U.S. to show up and accept medals in a sham scenario, it's even worse.
That was an awful Olympiad, culminating in the terrorist attacks on the Israeli athletes that you mentioned. One of the few Americans who had a successful was none other than Dan Gable. The Eastern Bloc sent one doped up wrestler after another at Gable, with the sole intention of dethroning him. Gable not only didn't lose on his way to the gold, he never even surrendered a point. His accomplishment when it came to american athletes in those games may have been surpassed only by Mark Spitz.

As for the two track sprinters, all i can say is that it took more than one to tango in that situation. Someone in the American camp, a coach, a trainer, whoever, also dropped the ball in that situation. It sounds like the athletes weren't even at the stadium, they were in their hotel rooms. Huh?

I've had three kids participate in high school track. They will high jump, then run a relay, then go back to high jumping, just to name one example. The key that all the coaches tell the athlete is to listen for their calls. They get at least three of them in Wisconsin.

Last edited:
I think it was a glitch in the matrix.
Kind of like OSUs and PSU's schedules next year.
We take care of business next year and we win the B10, not just the west.
Possibly a Iowa and Michigan in the championship.
We have had some great games with them.
Because you know half of OSU's guys are gone after making it to the final four.
PJ will be in rebuild mode. Northwestern can't rebound that fast. Wisconsin has been beatable as of late. Nebraska will get better, but we have them at home also.
We come out swinging and do well and take care of business on the road, then we get Wisconsin at home to finish the year!!!!
OSU is going to have to show me that they will make a precipitous drop before I believe it, regardless of who leaves.

The way they stockpile talent, they probably have third and fourth stringers who could compete for starting spots on most teams in the conference.

He would be a God in huskerland and be awarded the Nebraska High School Football Commissioner position forever

Free coffee, gas, burgers and Omaha Steaks for the remainder of his worthless life

:cool:

He would also get those disgusting hash browns at the Bosselman truck stops, which originated in Nebraska. I find the damn things disgusting. They taste like they were fried in motor oil.

Unnecessary roughness is normally late hits on a downed player, slamming a player, or hitting someone away from the ball; there’s really nothing else that would apply besides targeting. There’s spearing, but that doesn’t really apply here and you don’t hear it called very often anymore since targeting became a thing. Myself I think I would have called targeting last night, but I’m a lowly high school guy. More experienced and higher paid officials than me decided it wasn’t.

Like I said I don’t normally bash refs, but there were quite a few questionable (to me) calls and they’ll get graded on te entire game as a unit this week.

I don’t think it was a matter of trying to screw Iowa or help nebraska, it was probably just poor performance.
That blindside block call of Williams on Koerner was a huge one that did go in our favor. It killed Nebraska's last drive.

Without that call you're probably looking at OT at a bare minimum.

Another huge play was Kirk using his final timeout to preserve 45 seconds or whatever we had left after Nebraska missed on third down. He trusted Nate to get us in field goal range. And he trusted Duncan to drill it. Second week in a row we got end of half points with shrewed end of half clock management, a huge improvement over even earlier in the season

That blindside block call of Williams on Koerner was a huge one that did go in our favor. It killed Nebraska's last drive.

Without that call you're probably looking at OT at a bare minimum.

Another huge play was Kirk using his final timeout to preserve 45 seconds or whatever we had left after Nebraska missed on third down. He trusted Nate to get us in field goal range. And he trusted Duncan to drill it. Second week in a row we got end of half points with shrewed end of half clock management, a huge improvement over even earlier in the season

And Martinez running out of bounds to stop the clock let us keep that last time out.

When a receiver like Ragaini makes a catch and takes a couple strides then he becomes a runner. And a runner cant fumble the ball by making contact with the ground. That is why that was a catch.

The on field ref made the correct call and the numb nuts bozo and White Hat who reviewed it were stupid.

When a receiver like Ragaini makes a catch and takes a couple strides then he becomes a runner. And a runner cant fumble the ball by making contact with the ground. That is why that was a catch.

The on field ref made the correct call and the numb nuts bozo and White Hat who reviewed it were stupid.
Correct again. There was no angle that showed evidence conclusive enough to overturn the call.

Refs just had a bad day. Several flags, like the Reiff late hit, the Wade "running into the kicker", and the ISM penalty felt like they were crowd influenced. It had the feeling of the 2006 Outback Bowl, or for you old timers, the Jim Bain game.

OSU is going to have to show me that they will make a precipitous drop before I believe it, regardless of who leaves.

The way they stockpile talent, they probably have third and fourth stringers who could compete for starting spots on most teams in the conference.

Our defense is just a couple of steps away from being truly elite. If we can assemble an ol, we have the wr's, we have the rb's, we have a te or two that are coming on strong.
Next year starts today for Iowa.
It just feels like this year was a laying the groundwork and paving the way for a special year next year. Like.... knock knock. Who's there? Iowa. Because we were knocking on the door this year. With the schedule, the weather, the injuries, the red zone issues, we were still knocking.

Question for you, is it targeting or nothing? If it wasn't targeting can it be unnecessary roughness?

If they didn't call unnecessary roughness live, they can't review it and call it. Even if they are looking at targeting.
Someone brought up the 1972 Olympic basketball debacle when discussing the officiating in this game.

Questionable as some of these calls, non calls and reversals were, that's a pretty high bar. The events at the end of the 1972 gold medal game involved not only the officials, but higher ranking "Chancellor's" who should have had no authority to intervene, but did.

For yesterday's game to reach the equivalent of what happened in 1972, the B1G supervisor of officials would have to have been on hand, and would have awarded Frost timeouts that he didn't have and allowed him to keep using them until Duncan missed the field goal. That's how bad 1972 was.

All that being said, i still think we overreacted, and made ourselves look like entitled spoiled brats, by refusing the silver medals, which we have never accepted to this day. Everyone knew we got screwed. We didn't have to make it two wrongs. When the IOC or FIFA are running the show, corruptness runs rampant. How many times in Olympic competition have people gotten screwed by judges in events where performance is judged, like figure skating, diving, gymnastics, and boxing? How many professional boxers have gotten screwed?

I was the one that brought up the '72 Olympic basketball fiasco. You're right, it is not an apples to applies comparison, not even close and I did not mean to frame it that way. What I was thinking was that IF they have taken away the FG for the excessive celebration penalty, it would have been a reversal that was blatantly against the rules with some similarity to the '72 Olympics. I hope we never have another situation that comes close to what went on at that time. I was in favor of the team refusing the medals because the whole thing was a huge scam.

Our defense is just a couple of steps away from being truly elite. If we can assemble an ol, we have the wr's, we have the rb's, we have a te or two that are coming on strong.
Next year starts today for Iowa.
It just feels like this year was a laying the groundwork and paving the way for a special year next year. Like.... knock knock. Who's there? Iowa. Because we were knocking on the door this year. With the schedule, the weather, the injuries, the red zone issues, we were still knocking.

Our defense is an offense away from elite.

If they didn't call unnecessary roughness live, they can't review it and call it. Even if they are looking at targeting.

I was the one that brought up the '72 Olympic basketball fiasco. You're right, it is not an apples to applies comparison, not even close and I did not mean to frame it that way. What I was thinking was that IF they have taken away the FG for the excessive celebration penalty, it would have been a reversal that was blatantly against the rules with some similarity to the '72 Olympics. I hope we never have another situation that comes close to what went on at that time. I was in favor of the team refusing the medals because the whole thing was a huge scam.
The huge scam may have been intended to popularize basketball on a global basis. If that was what the IOC had in mind, then screwing the Americans was a bitter pill to swallow. Once again, international rules favored bigger, slower teams like the Euros and Soviets. And once again, when international competition is involved, like the Olympics, Americans are just part of the brew in a giant melting pot. Look at what happened to Bobby Knight in the 1979 Pan Am games. First, officials let the physical play get out of control, absolutely assaulting our guards when they tried to penetrate, and Kyle Macy ended up getting his jaw broken. Second, and more notoriously, Bobby Knight was arrested for "assaulting a police officer". Every witness in the gym said that Knight was perfectly in control, and that the officer was setting him up the whole time. It was Knight's insistence in getting the last word, in classic Bobby Knight fashion, that scarred him again, and put his chances of ever being named Olympic coach is some jeopardy.

This was right after the FG before Frost even bitched. As soon as it went through they huddled up.

in that case, it seems like the only thing that could be discussed is whether or not there was time left on the clock. There was one second I guess.

honestly, I got nothing.

Again, I understand your point, but we’re talking about judgement, opinion-based calls where a ref has to interpret a rule, vs. a black and white, no interpretation application of procedure.

A ref is allowed (and expected) to use his judgement to decide whether a catch is made or targeting happens, but not allowed to make a judgement call of whether an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty would overturn a field goal. There’s nothing to “interpret” there.

Which is what @IowaHawkeyeFB said he wouldn’t put it past refs to do. And which is also bullshit.

Ok...

A few things, IF Duncan misses the FG Nebby calls timeout on so they say Nebraska didn’t call it in time?

What if they said Duncan taunted while the ball was in play and play not dead, thus 15 yard replay.

With that crew I could see any of the above playing out. I do believe money influences officiating.

Our defense is an offense away from elite.
Maybe, we are good, I'm not going to deny, but we weren't #1 and it wasn't even close.
We have room to improve, offense or not.
We had some games where we looked like a top 5 defense and others where we didn't.
I get what you are saying, but you can't blame it all on the offense. Look at Wisconsin. Yeah maybe had we converted one more time, but also had we stopped them from converting one more time. That was a extremely close game and a couple yards either direction could have made a huge difference.
But Wisconsin is only what is between us and Indy and we might be able to slow OSU down, but we need to do better on D (and O) to compete with them this year.
You are going to have to be elite to deny them. Wisconsin has a pretty good D too, what do you think is going to happen in Indy??

I personally think the BIG 10 wanted NEbby to win the game. With a win, NE becomes bowl eligible. If they can get another team in a bowl game it looks better for the BIG 10 and means more money.

Latest posts