What were the refs discussing after the field goal?

You can’t see shit with your cataracts, old man River. Don’t you have pills to sort and pinochle to play? I bought you those cards with jumbo numbers so you’d quit bitching about getting beat in the nursing home, but here you are again. Bitching. Not surprised.

This.. no way we leave Lincoln with win if it went to OT. Most shadiest shit I’ve ever seen and I hope KF has made some phone calls today to the Big Ten..

LOL.

Questionable interpretive calls happen ALL the time, i.e. catch/no catch, in bounds/out of bounds, PI or no PI, etc.

It’s just fucking stupid to suggest, man. Any ref who overturned a scoring play after a dead ball foul would never work another college game in his life, let alone a B1G one. He’d get fired before his flight landed.

Look, the officiating last night was questionable in my opinion (which says something because I never bitch about officials), but you’re going full-on tin hat here.

He would be a God in huskerland and be awarded the Nebraska High School Football Commissioner position forever

Free coffee, gas, burgers and Omaha Steaks for the remainder of his worthless life

:cool:

Yesterday just goes to show you that officials still have the ability to impact the outcome of a game. Holding and pass interference are the usual culprits, but yesterday, they took it to a whole new level. There is no way you can overturn Ragaini's catch when the call on the field was a catch. It wasn't indisputable evidence. Hell, Ragaini's knee and elbow are down before he even rolls over. The more egregious call was the targeting call though. Smith-Marsette was going down and in a indefensible position...the very essence of the rule. There was obviously contact to the head...that's 15 yards. Again, the call on the field was targeting. Again...they overturned it.

The only game that was on par was Purdue last year. No holding calls the entire game, then two for Iowa on a critical drive.

They can make a game-impacting call anytime in the game and get away with it, but when they make so many one after the other with time running out, it becomes undeniably obvious

MFers

Again, I understand your point, but we’re talking about judgement, opinion-based calls where a ref has to interpret a rule, vs. a black and white, no interpretation application of procedure.

A ref is allowed (and expected) to use his judgement to decide whether a catch is made or targeting happens, but not allowed to make a judgement call of whether an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty would overturn a field goal. There’s nothing to “interpret” there.

Which is what @IowaHawkeyeFB said he wouldn’t put it past refs to do. And which is also bullshit.

Must have irrefutable evidence to overturn.
The refs made the calls.
So either the refs were wrong about all those calls or the white hat was.
Which was it?
Because I sure as shit saw a horse collar, a helmet to helmet on our te (I think) I saw someone who either tilted his head to may a helmet to helmet or applied enough deliberate amount of force to our players head/neck area with his shoulder that even his own head was tilted because of the amount of deliberate force.
Like I said I will skip the catch and intentional grounding. But those other things did happen. So I'm wondering where is his evidence to overturn. That's what the b10 should be asking.
That was crooked ass shit and there is no way around it.
They facemask us and on the same dam play we get a penalty for not even a shove, but more of a step off gesture?

Must have irrefutable evidence to overturn.
The refs made the calls.
So either the refs were wrong about all those calls or the white hat was.
Which was it?
Because I sure as shit saw a horse collar, a helmet to helmet on our te (I think) I saw someone who either tilted his head to may a helmet to helmet or applied enough deliberate amount of force to our players head/neck area with his shoulder that even his own head was tilted because of the amount of deliberate force.
Like I said I will skip the catch and intentional grounding. But those other things did happen. So I'm wondering where is his evidence to overturn. That's what the b10 should be asking.
That was crooked ass shit and there is no way around it.
They facemask us and on the same dam play we get a penalty for not even a shove, but more of a step off gesture?
You don’t get it man. Jesus.

I was responding to a poster about the difference between a judgement call and procedural rule. It literally had nothing—at all—to do with whether the refs made the right calls about the catch, horse collar, or targeting call.

Read posts and identify context. It’ll save you and others a ton of time.

You don’t get it man. Jesus.

I was responding to a poster about the difference between a judgement call and procedural rule. It literally had nothing—at all—to do with whether the refs made the right calls about the catch, horse collar, or targeting call.

Read posts and identify context. It’ll save you and others a ton of time.
Question for you, is it targeting or nothing? If it wasn't targeting can it be unnecessary roughness?

Question for you, is it targeting or nothing? If it wasn't targeting can it be unnecessary roughness?
Unnecessary roughness is normally late hits on a downed player, slamming a player, or hitting someone away from the ball; there’s really nothing else that would apply besides targeting. There’s spearing, but that doesn’t really apply here and you don’t hear it called very often anymore since targeting became a thing. Myself I think I would have called targeting last night, but I’m a lowly high school guy. More experienced and higher paid officials than me decided it wasn’t.

Like I said I don’t normally bash refs, but there were quite a few questionable (to me) calls and they’ll get graded on the entire game as a unit this week.

I don’t think it was a matter of trying to screw Iowa or help nebraska, it was probably just poor performance.

Unnecessary roughness is normally late hits on a downed player, slamming a player, or hitting someone away from the ball; there’s really nothing else that would apply besides targeting. There’s spearing, but that doesn’t really apply here and you don’t hear it called very often anymore since targeting became a thing. Myself I think I would have called targeting last night, but I’m a lowly high school guy. More experienced and higher paid officials than me decided it wasn’t.

Like I said I don’t normally bash refs, but there were quite a few questionable (to me) calls and they’ll get graded on the entire game as a unit this week.

I don’t think it was a matter of trying to screw Iowa or help nebraska, it was probably just poor performance.
I agree that the refs made quite a few mistakes for sure, but what was really odd is that the targeting and Nico's catch were called correctly by the official on the field in my opinion. The tv announcers then went to the rules expert who said catch and targeting. And both calls were reversed. Missing that face mask and what I thought was a late hit out of bounds for which the Iowa sideline was warned were from ineptitude.

Anyone notice that one ref kept running up to Nate pre snap several times and then run off, at end of 4th quarter?
I thought that was strange.
What the hell was he doing?

I agree that the refs made quite a few mistakes for sure, but what was really odd is that the targeting and Nico's catch were called correctly by the official on the field in my opinion. The tv announcers then went to the rules expert who said catch and targeting. And both calls were reversed. Missing that face mask and what I thought was a late hit out of bounds for which the Iowa sideline was warned were from ineptitude.
That's what I am saying. What evidence did he have to overturn?
Same with the horse collar. I seen it in live time and the replay confirmed it, not showed evidence to overturn it.

Last edited:
No way the catch should have been overturned.

So either the refs made a bunch of bad calls or the guy overturning all those calls was crooked.
I think we all know which one it is, and since it comes down to some shady shit, it should be looked at by the b10. Or they can look at it and decided the refs did indeed make a bunch of mistakes.
What it all boils down to is when have you ever watched a game with that many overturned calls against one team?

Unsportsmanlike after a scoring play is a dead ball foul. The penalty is 15 yards assessed on the kickoff. A dead ball foul by rule cannot overturn a scoring play.

Even if they had flagged Duncan they would have gotten fifteen yards with zero seconds to go. Once that ball went through the uprights and became dead, the game was over unless they ran the kickoff back, no matter what Frost wanted.
I was more concerned that they would flag Kirk or LeVar after the "dress rehearsal" field goal when they awarded another time out. Now a fifteen there for unsportsmanlike conduct would have taken us out of field goal range.

Targeting does not solely occur when players initiate helmet-to-helmet contact. It's defined as occurring when a player "takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball." Instances include, but are not limited to:

• Launch--a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.

There may have been another dynamic at work. Let me know if this has happened to you. It has happened to me.

I’m a lowly high school ref in another sport other than football. On rare occasions you have a bad game that just seems to get worse. You miss a call or two, or make a couple bad ones, and you know you’re punting it. You get flustered, your attention gets diverted, you briefly lose focus and suddenly the game goes to hell.

I don’t know that that happened here. But if one key member of the crew is struggling, the whole team is in jeopardy.

Or maybe the white hat had serious coin riding on the outcome...

Someone brought up the 1972 Olympic basketball debacle when discussing the officiating in this game.

Questionable as some of these calls, non calls and reversals were, that's a pretty high bar. The events at the end of the 1972 gold medal game involved not only the officials, but higher ranking "Chancellor's" who should have had no authority to intervene, but did.

For yesterday's game to reach the equivalent of what happened in 1972, the B1G supervisor of officials would have to have been on hand, and would have awarded Frost timeouts that he didn't have and allowed him to keep using them until Duncan missed the field goal. That's how bad 1972 was.

All that being said, i still think we overreacted, and made ourselves look like entitled spoiled brats, by refusing the silver medals, which we have never accepted to this day. Everyone knew we got screwed. We didn't have to make it two wrongs. When the IOC or FIFA are running the show, corruptness runs rampant. How many times in Olympic competition have people gotten screwed by judges in events where performance is judged, like figure skating, diving, gymnastics, and boxing? How many professional boxers have gotten screwed?

Someone brought up the 1972 Olympic basketball debacle when discussing the officiating in this game.

Questionable as some of these calls, non calls and reversals were, that's a pretty high bar. The events at the end of the 1972 gold medal game involved not only the officials, but higher ranking "Chancellor's" who should have had no authority to intervene, but did.

For yesterday's game to reach the equivalent of what happened in 1972, the B1G supervisor of officials would have to have been on hand, and would have awarded Frost timeouts that he didn't have and allowed him to keep using them until Duncan missed the field goal. That's how bad 1972 was.

All that being said, i still think we overreacted, and made ourselves look like entitled spoiled brats, by refusing the silver medals, which we have never accepted to this day. Everyone knew we got screwed. We didn't have to make it two wrongs. When the IOC or FIFA are running the show, corruptness runs rampant. How many times in Olympic competition have people gotten screwed by judges in events where performance is judged, like figure skating, diving, gymnastics, and boxing? How many process boxers have gotten screwed?

The players voted, unanimously, NOT to accept the silver medals. If that's what they choose, you damn well accept it. They're the ones who got screwed, not you or other fans.

In a bit of delicious irony, Russia can't--literally--buy their way into the Olympics in Track & Field for all the failed and/or manipulated drug/doping tests.

All that being said, i still think we overreacted, and made ourselves look like entitled spoiled brats, by refusing the silver medals, which we have never accepted to this day. Everyone knew we got screwed. We didn't have to make it two wrongs. When the IOC or FIFA are running the show, corruptness runs rampant. How many times in Olympic competition have people gotten screwed by judges in events where performance is judged, like figure skating, diving, gymnastics, and boxing? How many professional boxers have gotten screwed?

Another part of refusing the medals was the way Brundage and the IOC absolutely dropped the ball with thee massacre of the Israeli athletes/coaches, not suspending the games until several delegations demanded it, then all but turning the memorial into a chest-thump about how successful the games were. Worse, they allowed certain nations go refuse lowering their flags to half staff at the memorial.

That particular Olympiad was awful. Eddie Hart and Rey Robinson being given incorrect times for 100 meter heats, and then Soviet and other delegations trying to DQ them from the 4 x 100 relay because of it. The IOC, the Germans, Soviets, etc., were bad enough, but when people expect the U.S. to show up and accept medals in a sham scenario, it's even worse.

Latest posts