What were the refs discussing after the field goal?

Yesterday just goes to show you that officials still have the ability to impact the outcome of a game. Holding and pass interference are the usual culprits, but yesterday, they took it to a whole new level. There is no way you can overturn Ragaini's catch when the call on the field was a catch. It wasn't indisputable evidence. Hell, Ragaini's knee and elbow are down before he even rolls over. The more egregious call was the targeting call though. Smith-Marsette was going down and in a indefensible position...the very essence of the rule. There was obviously contact to the head...that's 15 yards. Again, the call on the field was targeting. Again...they overturned it.

The only game that was on par was Purdue last year. No holding calls the entire game, then two for Iowa on a critical drive.

This was right after the FG before Frost even bitched. As soon as it went through they huddled up.

Exactly, they may have been discussing Duncan's antics but it was most of the officials and it happened right away.

It looked like a Nebby player may have used his teammate to get leverage for blocking the kick and I think they might have been talking about that. Of course no one dropped a flag but it might have been did you see anything?

If you look at it, it wasn't the calls on the field that were really bad, it was the reviews. They did call ragaini's catch a catch. They did call targeting. Even the 15 yarder on ISM was after a huddle and the roughing the kicker was really late. It just smells of outside influence and not the particular refs. If the refs wanted nebby to win there were far easier ways to do it.

LOL.

Questionable interpretive calls happen ALL the time, i.e. catch/no catch, in bounds/out of bounds, PI or no PI, etc.

But you’re talking about a procedural application of a penalty here, and those mistakes just never happen at the P5 level. I certainly can’t think of any time it has before. What you’re describing as a possibility would be equivalent to an umpire calling someone out on two strikes and standing by his decision, or a basketball ref giving someone five free throws for a personal foul.

It’s just fucking stupid to suggest, man. Any ref who overturned a scoring play after a dead ball foul would never work another college game in his life, let alone a B1G one. He’d get fired before his flight landed.

Look, the officiating last night was questionable in my opinion (which says something because I never bitch about officials), but you’re going full-on tin hat here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Down_Game_(1990)

How can you flag someone who is just trying to spread a little love around?
That's what was so beautiful about it.
You throw a flag on that and you look like a tool.
Once they realized that even if they did and looked like total tools, it was after the play and the fg would still stand, they decided not to do it. It had become extremely obvious to anyone watching what was going on. So it was absolutely beautiful. Almost one of those coaching moments "go out there kick it and then blow them a kiss".
Jesus we were even respectful and took a knee before the half. We come back out and they try and give them the game?? That's some BS.

A conservative estimate of D1-A (FBS) games since 1990 puts it at just under 50,000 total games...my point was, if we get even more conservative and say something crazy happens every 45,000 games, there’s no way a crew of refs is gonna try and F Iowa and ruin their careers (which is what happened to Louderback) with something dumb like that.

Whoever was in charge of over turning those calls should probably be fired.

Exactly, they may have been discussing Duncan's antics but it was most of the officials and it happened right away.

It looked like a Nebby player may have used his teammate to get leverage for blocking the kick and I think they might have been talking about that. Of course no one dropped a flag but it might have been did you see anything?

I saw a still photo from behind Duncan. At least one NE player could be seen with his foot on the back of another player. He would have needed a 50” vertical to get that high. No bias here. It was clear as a bell.

Whoever was in charge of over turning those calls should probably be fired.
Again, I understand your point, but we’re talking about judgement, opinion-based calls where a ref has to interpret a rule, vs. a black and white, no interpretation application of procedure.

A ref is allowed (and expected) to use his judgement to decide whether a catch is made or targeting happens, but not allowed to make a judgement call of whether an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty would overturn a field goal. There’s nothing to “interpret” there.

Which is what @IowaHawkeyeFB said he wouldn’t put it past refs to do. And which is also bullshit.

I saw a still photo from behind Duncan. At least one NE player could be seen with his foot on the back of another player. He would have needed a 50” vertical to get that high. No bias here. It was clear as a bell.
You can’t see shit with your cataracts, old man River. Don’t you have pills to sort and pinochle to play? I bought you those cards with jumbo numbers so you’d quit bitching about getting beat in the nursing home, but here you are again. Bitching. Not surprised.

Luckily we beat them in regulation. It was clear that the Refs were trying to give Nebraska every advantage that they could. If it goes to OT, then Nebby wins with more help from their Zebra friends. I think Ferentz saw through all that BS and decided to take a chance in regulation. Nebby and the refs thought it was going to OT. That’s why they all got caught with their pants down around their ankles. I love it!

Should we order Casey’s pizza or go to a place that’s actually in business to make pizzas?

My favorite memory was the Nebraska punt where the guy threw a tantrum at the goal line because some other player touched the ball first.

I think the nation got to see first hand last night the difference between being a dirt bag and having class.

My favorite memory was the Nebraska punt where the guy threw a tantrum at the goal line because some other player touched the ball first.

I think the nation got to see first hand last night the difference between being a dirt bag and having class.
Yeah, nothing like showing up your teammate up for 3yds and ME ME ME

Who do you think ordered them to call it that way?

anigif_sub-buzz-2009-1559329739-19.gif

Anything else bothering you guys

I’d still like an explanation on Nicos catch. He caught the ball, tucked it, took two steps, and the defender makes contact. He hits the ground, rolls over, then the ball pops out. How the hell is that not a catch? Then we get the “process of the catch” BS. I guarantee had that been Nebby it would be play stands as called.

Basically he had complete possession of the ball and went down

The whole 4th quarter was surreal

When they started discussing the second made FG, it became overwhelmingly obvious that something was amiss

The fix was on or the refs were fearful of leaving the stadium alive with the rabid animals in the stands wearing blood red

:cool:

Latest posts