What we can't talk about...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Obtuse? Nice Jon. Resorting to calling people names? All I was saying is that you should simply take personal responsibility for you personal choices of censorship and not try to justify those choices with standards that don't completely apply.

Where in your Mass Comm ethics textbook did it suggest resorting to name calling?

What the hell? Ferentz and Iowa officials know the rumors. They're not going to sit on it. I guarantee during ferentz weekly press conference, he will make it known and clear up all the rumors.

What rumors? I'll repeat something I said earlier in the thread. This Mickey Mouse "I know something you don't know" ******** reeks of nothing more than high school drama.

People that spread those rumors only add to the problem.

As Steve Deace would say, don't **** on me and tell me it's raining. Don't act like you know something and then run away giggling like a 4th grade girl when someone asks you what it might be. **** or get off the pot.

What rumors? I'll repeat something I said earlier in the thread. This Mickey Mouse "I know something you don't know" ******** reeks of nothing more than high school drama.

The rumors of players possibly in trouble and rumors of random drug tests. I didn't name any names so that shouldn't have to be deleted.

People need to realize that a lot of posters on message boards are college age students and interact with the players. Sure, you can't believe everything you read. You probably shouldn't believe 90% of the things you read.

But when more than 1 person...multiple people report the same thing, there's usually something to the story.

When Ferentz talks to the media, he will say whether or not there is anything going on with the football team. Not that difficult to comprehend.

The rumors of players possibly in trouble and rumors of random drug tests. I didn't name any names so that shouldn't have to be deleted.

People need to realize that a lot of posters on message boards are college age students and interact with the players. Sure, you can't believe everything you read. You probably shouldn't believe 90% of the things you read.

But when more than 1 person...multiple people report the same thing, there's usually something to the story.

When Ferentz talks to the media, he will say whether or not there is anything going on with the football team. Not that difficult to comprehend.

Are we talking "anonymous message board guy" or credible members of the media with reputations on the line. Anyone can hide behind a screen name; guys like Jon, Rob Howe, and Kakert can't.

Are we talking "anonymous message board guy" or credible members of the media with reputations on the line. Anyone can hide behind a screen name; guys like Jon, Rob Howe, and Kakert can't.
Those guys you mention usually don't break the news until it's confirmed. They are the media, they're not exactly allowed to report a rumor.

rumors are rumors...some are true, some aren't.

You're not understanding my point. It's not 1 "random internet" guy with all these rumblings. There are multiple people saying more players are likely to be named with this drama.

Of course nothing is confirmed yet because Ferentz hasn't said anything. Which is exactly why it's still considered a rumor and nobody in the media is touching the subject.

The ONLY reason I feel like any of this has legs is because of Morehouse's tweet earlier this week. Granted, he was saying that if what he was hearing is true, yadda yadda. But I don't get the impression that he would tweet even that much if he didn't think there might be something to it.

As Steve Deace would say, don't **** on me and tell me it's raining. Don't act like you know something and then run away giggling like a 4th grade girl when someone asks you what it might be. **** or get off the pot.

With how strict Jon is, and wanting to protect my sources interest- you have to tread softly. Just because you were wronged by some 4th grade girl, please do not take it out on us.

The ONLY reason I feel like any of this has legs is because of Morehouse's tweet earlier this week. Granted, he was saying that if what he was hearing is true, yadda yadda. But I don't get the impression that he would tweet even that much if he didn't think there might be something to it.

Morehouse doesn't have to say anything for people to think somethings up. Hell, Marc could not tweet anything for the next week, and people would consider it a reason to worry.

Those guys you mention usually don't break the news until it's confirmed. They are the media, they're not exactly allowed to report a rumor.

rumors are rumors...some are true, some aren't.

You're not understanding my point. It's not 1 "random internet" guy with all these rumblings. There are multiple people saying more players are likely to be named with this drama.

Of course nothing is confirmed yet because Ferentz hasn't said anything. Which is exactly why it's still considered a rumor and nobody in the media is touching the subject.

This kind of logic reminds me of a South Park segment. Cartman says something about Jews to Kyle, and Kyle calls BS (the usual schtick). Then Butters says "No, I heard that too Kyle!" "Where did you hear that?" "Eric told me."

Multiple internet guys doesn't tell me anything. Because the vast majority got their "info" from the same source, and spread it as truth. That's how these things get out of control, people spreading stories based on nothing but one annonymous poster's opinion.

Morehouse doesn't have to say anything for people to think somethings up. Hell, Marc could not tweet anything for the next week, and people would consider it a reason to worry.

I'd actually feel better if there was nothing being said from Marc's camp. As a journalism major myself, I know I wouldn't tweet something like that if I thought it was completely baseless.

How many times have those "anonymous message board guys" beaten the media though with info though. Quite often actually. I think that was the point he was trying to make. You can usually tell when a rumor is just making the rounds from site to site and when there actually seems to be something to it.

That said, I'm going back to studying for my finals cause this site is a huge buzz kill. :)

Multiple internet guys doesn't tell me anything. Because the vast majority got their "info" from the same source, and spread it as truth. That's how these things get out of control, people spreading stories based on nothing but one annonymous poster's opinion.
Which is exactly why I said 90% of the time it's not the truth.

Just because your last name isn't Howe, kakert, Miller, doesn't mean your information is inaccurate!

Those guys(and other media) report the news after it's confirmed. That's why they are credible. The news is already out.

The "internet guys" report the rumors, which is why people shouldn't believe half they read. However, that doesn't mean there isn't any truth to any of the rumors.

How many times have those "anonymous message board guys" beaten the media though with info though. Quite often actually. I think that was the point he was trying to make. You can usually tell when a rumor is just making the rounds from site to site and when there actually seems to be something to it.

That said, I'm going back to studying for my finals cause this site is a huge buzz kill. :)

If that's not a testament to just how depressing/exasperating that this stuff really is, I don't what would be :D

There's a huge difference between saying, "I have reasonable connections who are telling me more poop is going to hit the fan and we may lose more players" and saying "Joe Running Back is supposedly a hardcore user and his name might/might not be on some Excel spreadsheet."

How many times have those "anonymous message board guys" beaten the media though with info though. Quite often actually. I think that was the point he was trying to make.
Thank you. That is EXACTLY the point. Glad to know someone else understood what I was trying to say.
That doesn't mean you should believe everything you read! However, when topics turn into 3 pages and multiple people "confirm" that should give enough reason to at least consider it "might" be true.

Which is exactly why I said 90% of the time it's not the truth.

Just because your last name isn't Howe, kakert, Miller, doesn't mean your information is inaccurate!

Those guys(and other media) report the news after it's confirmed. That's why they are credible. The news is already out.

The "internet guys" report the rumors, which is why people shouldn't believe half they read. However, that doesn't mean there isn't any truth to any of the rumors.

But, given the odds of it being false, it's always best to simply ignore them and wait for a credible source to confirm it. There's not an easy way to tell the difference between a false rumor and a legit one. And when probably 90% are false, it's safer to assume they all are for sanity's sake.

Does anyone have Hampton on their facebook page? The Rivals site is saying it says something "not good."
I don't have him on my page so I can't see it. I know those are the type of posts Jon doesn't want on here, so that's why I'm not saying what it allegedly says.

On the Rivals board Jewel Hampton is gone (per his facebook):

Jewel Hampton
Former Hawkeye!!! wats next????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts