What was your favorite play from the MSU game?

I'm going to say the attempted end around reverse with mm trying to pass to DJK. At first blush this play seemed arrogant and was totally out of character for this coaching staff. But think about it. DJK needs one more catch for the all time receptions record. I have little doubt the staff called this play in an attempt to get DJK the record, at home, in a spectacular fashion. That says something to me about DJK's standing with the staff. He's worked hard and made some personal sacrifices to become a better player and earn back Kirk's respect. The reverse pass attempt is proof that DJK is definitely back in good graces with coach. That's why it's my choice.

1.) Sash to Hyde to endzone
2.) Stanzi to A-Rob ( and they said he's slow...)
3.) McNutt's miraculous 1 handed catch to his opposite shoulder. I knew we were gonna win right then.
4.) A-Rob's key block on the Manzi run
5.) Brad Herman's great catch/run for ALMOST a touchdown. He stole that play from MSU's DB...that should have been a pick. Brad says no way jose..

TMFS to hyde is by far the best play of the game

but i also loved to see mcnutt's reverse pass...i've NEVER seen an iowa team try to pull something like that with that big of a lead. too bad he didn't hit it

It was on Stanzi's long run down that ended with the 15-yard late hit by MSU's Hyde.
After the game, Kirk mentioned that the Hawks were really fired up after the late hit on Stanzi. Those things can really swing the emotion in a game. I don't think the Hawks needed another reason to be fired up, but MSU gave them another one.

A-Rob's block on Jones was awesome, by the way.

I'm going to say the attempted end around reverse with mm trying to pass to DJK. At first blush this play seemed arrogant and was totally out of character for this coaching staff. But think about it. DJK needs one more catch for the all time receptions record. I have little doubt the staff called this play in an attempt to get DJK the record, at home, in a spectacular fashion. That says something to me about DJK's standing with the staff. He's worked hard and made some personal sacrifices to become a better player and earn back Kirk's respect. The reverse pass attempt is proof that DJK is definitely back in good graces with coach. That's why it's my choice.

After reading the headline of this post. My first thought was this play, even though it didn't work. This play sent a message to not only opposition, but also to the Iowa fans. That message was: We are not letting up. I can tell you sitting in the NE corner of the stadium, the people stood up as the play was developing, and after the incomplete pass the crowd cheered and clapped well after the play was over.
It was so seemingly out of character for Iowa with a sizable lead. It was really nice to see.
I heard the call in show on WHO after the game that some schmo called in and thought it was low class of Kirk to run that end around pass with a large lead. But buddy if you would have been there, with the intensity and will that Iowa played with, you would never have said that. That's why everyone cheered because it showed even though Iowa had the big lead, MSU still needed to play honestly and quit stacking the box.
Anyway there were so many, the A-Rob block on Jones the interceptions all of it made it a great day.

Gotta go with the pick-6, Sash's lateral, and Hyde's dive into the end zone.. Probably the most exciting sequence of the whole game, and that was the point where I decided we really had MSU where we wanted them. It snowballed from there.

Do you recall Eddy Hinkel's last game in Kinnick? 2005 vs Minny (52-28, started 35-0). He had 4 tds! Remember he was injured much of the year from his broken arm at Purdue.
He was pulled from the game after his 3rd td, but the crowd chanted Eddy, Eddy, Eddy until he was put back in.
A couple plays later we ran that same play, Clinton Solomon throwing to Hinkel for his record setting 4th TD of the day! That was another great day to be a hawkeye!
Minnesota Golden Gophers vs. Iowa Hawkeyes - Recap - November 19, 2005 - ESPN

Do you recall Eddy Hinkel's last game in Kinnick? 2005 vs Minny (52-28, started 35-0). He had 4 tds! Remember he was injured much of the year from his broken arm at Purdue.
He was pulled from the game after his 3rd td, but the crowd chanted Eddy, Eddy, Eddy until he was put back in.
A couple plays later we ran that same play, Clinton Solomon throwing to Hinkel for his record setting 4th TD of the day! That was another great day to be a hawkeye!
Minnesota Golden Gophers vs. Iowa Hawkeyes - Recap - November 19, 2005 - ESPN

And if there was ever a guy that deserved that chance to make up for lost time, it was Hinkel. I loved watching that guy play!

Sash's interception , lateral, and Hyde's return.

This is Play of the Week material, if not a finalist for Play of the Year. The pick, the lateral, Hyde cutting across field, bouncing off a couple would-be defenders, dodging an official, then breaking a tackle at about the 25 and lunging for the endzone and hitting the pylon to get the TD. This in a game being watched on the sideline by a brother who plays for the opponent and in the stands by Mom, Dad and other family members wearing custom Iowa-MSU hoodies to show their split allegiances.

As noted, it put Iowa up 16-0 (17 with the PAT, which as we've seen this year is never a given) and for all intents and purposes sealed the deal by throwing Cousins off his game and digging a deep hole for Sparty.

Last edited:

This would be my No. 2 (I went with the Sash pick and lateral to Hyde). Still, I liked it and felt the same thing: the staff was trying to get DJK his receptions record in the second to last home game. And what better way to free him than to attempt an end-around reverse but have the runner -- a quarterback-turned-receiver -- toss him the ball. Wish it would have been completed. Kinnick would have gone nuts.

Meyer missing the XP.

No, but seriously. For me it was the fake reverse pass by McNutt to DJK. Or at least the attempted fake reverse pass. Yes, I know it was incomplete, but if you've read any of my previous posts regarding trick plays/fake plays, you'll know I've requested this play several times.

Had it worked, I honestly believe it would have given DJK his reception record, with a touchdown.

We have a lot of weapons on offense. It's about time we start unleashing them.

Here is a good set of highlights from the BTN wrapup show:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqlKJpPf9HA&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Football- Michigan State at Iowa[/ame]

Latest posts