What the hell happened to the offense?

Drakebulldog93

I know many of us Focus on the defensive deficiencies on this team but we can't score. I had to laugh today because listening to the radio today they were talking about the defense. We can't even score 30 points in a half. It seemed early in the year if a team Switched Off on defense we had the advantage... Watching this team now they switch on every pick and roll and there is literally nothing open. I'm not a coach but what the hell happened? Granted Bohannon cannot create his own shot, but cook cannot create his own shot, Garza doesn't have room, we are firing up threes 10 seconds in the shot clock... I guess the good news is ISU fans are dealing with the same s h i t.

I know many of us Focus on the defensive deficiencies on this team but we can't score. I had to laugh today because listening to the radio today they were talking about the defense. We can't even score 30 points in a half. It seemed early in the year if a team Switched Off on defense we had the advantage... Watching this team now they switch on every pick and roll and there is literally nothing open. I'm not a coach but what the hell happened? Granted Bohannon cannot create his own shot, but cook cannot create his own shot, Garza doesn't have room, we are firing up threes 10 seconds in the shot clock... I guess the good news is ISU fans are dealing with the same s h i t.
I think the book is out on Iowa. Pressure the guards and dare them to go around you.

Also helps that Garza and Cook went from being a strong inside duo to literally not being able to score double figures.

Some of these players should only practice step backs or fade aways otherwise they aren’t getting a shot off

I think the book is out on Iowa. Pressure the guards and dare them to go around you.

Also helps that Garza and Cook went from being a strong inside duo to literally not being able to score double figures.

This is exactly what has been happening over the past 10 games and now teams are committing to the entire game and forget about it. That and challenge JBo off the ball and play tight when he gets the ball. He needs to have Steph skills and that ain't happening. Season is over unless they start running some double pick a rolls They should also be going for the blocking foul as soon as the second player comes out to challenge.

We make the opposing team look like they have six players out there. Hell, seven sometimes. They can't even execute a fast break when they do have a numbers advantage. They pull up and chuck it.

When you're the worst defensive team in the conference, and teams have finally figured out to stop your offense, it's game over. This team won't win another game this season.

When you're the worst defensive team in the conference, and teams have finally figured out to stop your offense, it's game over. This team won't win another game this season.

Is it possible they lose in Lincoln? That would be rock bottom.

Two things.

1. Players standing around too much.
2. Since those last second miracle finishes, players think they can just chuck 3’s at any time.

And a third, bonus reason: coaching.

No point guard, pure and simple. They don't have one guy who is consistently able to take his man off the dribble and it has been this way since Fran arrived here. Every team I have watched Iowa play presses Iowa's guards at the 3 point line and takes away the 3 pt shot. Every time Bohannon comes off a screen there's a man in his face. Every time Moss or Wieskamp comes off a screen, there's a man in their face too. If you want motion offense where you can get an open shooter you have to do more than run weaves around the perimeter. You need screens, you need a PG who can drive into the paint, you need guys who can cut to the basket effectively when the post man gets doubled. Right now this is a 3 pt shooting team, one trick pony. Shut that down and Iowa is toast. As someone else said, the book is out on Iowa.

Offense cost us this game. No question about it. How ironic is that? All the harping about the defense and now we can't even execute our offense.

We had a decent defensive game plan last night. Wisconsin wasn't exactly lighting it up either. Our plan was to spread fouls and put on the line. They were 63% from the line, 41% from the field .What we didn't plan on was getting outrebounded 49-29, or giving up 15 on the offensive glass. But that's the chance you take when you play mostly zone, and Wisconsin exploited it. Iverson destroys zones and he did it again last night.

It's now time to find answers-quickly. Or this team will go down in lore with'14 and '16, something that as recently as three weeks ago I said was impossible. Three weeks was a long time ago for this team.

No point guard, pure and simple. They don't have one guy who is consistently able to take his man off the dribble and it has been this way since Fran arrived here. Every team I have watched Iowa play presses Iowa's guards at the 3 point line and takes away the 3 pt shot. Every time Bohannon comes off a screen there's a man in his face. Every time Moss or Wieskamp comes off a screen, there's a man in their face too. If you want motion offense where you can get an open shooter you have to do more than run weaves around the perimeter. You need screens, you need a PG who can drive into the paint, you need guys who can cut to the basket effectively when the post man gets doubled. Right now this is a 3 pt shooting team, one trick pony. Shut that down and Iowa is toast. As someone else said, the book is out on Iowa.
But if the book is out on Iowa why couldn't teams shut us down in January. We shot 68% for the game against Illinois. Remember that team? We won games because we were the tougher team on the court. Remember that team?

If team truly did implode because of the Dolph/Barta/Fran distractions than i dont know what to say for it. Dealing with distractions is an everyday part of adult life.

This team is dominant when they establish the post and run the guards to the open outlet spot. Fran forgot how to do this apparently. He then showed the team the wrong tapes, you know, the ones from Lickliter. ALL they have been running is pick and roll screens from 30 feet from the basket. Well, the pass is never made to the screener and the pick is always half-assed. Basically a 3 is chucked up..and because the big man is 20 feet from the basket there is no offensive rebound. How many 3's are tossed up where you see 4 players from the other team surrounding the basket for a rebound? EVERY TIME.

There are how many coaches in the room and they don't see this?

Fran hasn't figured out how to coach in the BIGTEN. Every back down or post move involved Wisconsin lowering their shoulder and burrying it in the Iowa defenders chest, in essence, creating space. SO TELL YOUR PLAYER TO FLOP! How do you counter over aggressive dribblers? YOu FRICKEN FLop. Not a tough concept..There was more than enough contact initiated by the dribbler to justify reaction from the contact. Instead, under whiny sensative Bit$%'s team, we try to muscle up and take it...guess what, that does nothing for you.

Clearly, throwing your head back or throwing up your arms isnt enough to get a call. Start falling over like other teams do.

But if the book is out on Iowa why couldn't teams shut us down in January. We shot 68% for the game against Illinois. Remember that team? We won games because we were the tougher team on the court. Remember that team?

If team truly did implode because of the Dolph/Barta/Fran distractions than i dont know what to say for it. Dealing with distractions is an everyday part of adult life.

Fran teams have NEVER dealt well with "distraction". The cancer situation with Patrick was understandable. Beyond that, there is no explanation.

Getting blown out at home by Rutgers on Senior Day was rock bottom. It’s now freefall time.

I agree, it doesn't get much worse than getting blown out by Rutgers at home on on Senior Day. That one was brutal and Nicholas Baer deserved better. He was pretty much playing 1 on 5 when he was in the game. I'm going to miss that guy.

Our guards can't "go around" anyone. This is not a well kept secret.

Is it possible they lose in Lincoln? That would be rock bottom.

Nebraska has still won two of their last three at home with the loss being a 3 point loss to Purdue. They are worthless on the road now but still competitive at Pinnacle. If Watson or Palmer get hot from 3, they'll beat Iowa, but that's a big "if" because it hasn't happened often this year. At Carver, Palmer was nearly scoreless until the last minute of the first half and Watson was on the bench with two fouls early on. Those probably won't happen again either, so it's probably a toss up game or Nebraska a slight favorite.