What should Hawks do if they win the toss?

uihawk82

I really haven't been keeping track this year when we win the toss what decisions the coaches have been making.

Unlike the various years when the hawks had a potent offense and always chose to receive this year iirc the coaches have been deferring to the 2nd half.

Has that been the trend?

I sure do not mind if the other team wins the toss and they choose to receive because that puts our best unit on the field. A three and out right away can give you the punt at the 35 or 40. The way our offense has struggled in the first qtr if I was an opposing coach and won the toss I would defer and kick off to Iowa.

I'd take the ball unless there is a head/tail wind. If there is a head/tail wind, you absolutely must make sure you have a tail wind in 2nd and 4th Q IMO.

Take the ball and go for an opening drive score. Having a lead - even if only 3 pts - is huge for our defensive system. That will induce the opposing OC into the temptation of being a bit more aggressive. That 3-0 can snowball into 30-0 alarmingly fast.

Also, Tory Taylor exists, so if we can get the ball anywhere near the 50 on that opening drive, our chances of pinning the bad guys inside their own 10 are hilariously good.

Hawks always used to take it first. Is it just me or is there a trend now with teams taking the ball after the toss similar to the NFL? I think Kent St. won the toss and took the ball.

I'm opposite of many. If you have confidence in your team, take the ball first and get the first chance to dictate field position. Also, this ensures you one more offensive possession.

This unless there is an extreme wind or weather situation a particular day.

Defer and play defense. Got a shot for 2 straight possessions in the 2nd/3rd. Always my preference.

But there is no way one can really forcast getting the ball to end the first half. I think you have a equal shot of ending the first half on defense just as much as with the ball.

But there is no way one can really forcast getting the ball to end the first half. I think you have a equal shot of ending the first half on defense just as much as with the ball.
I agree. I just always hate it when the 2nd half is winding down and realize that we the other team gets the ball to start the half. It's certainly not a guarantee it will happen, but at least there's a shot.

Play D, give Parker a chance to see what Purdue is doing as soon as possible so he can prescribe the medicine that is HAWKEYE DEFENSE, please take responsible and don't drink or drive heavy machinery.

I've never found any collegiate data, but since 2009, 52.8% of teams that won the toss and deferred won the ballgame.

Give me a 2.8% advantage any day of the week.

victory formation and then punt the ball!
Lol, “Here comes Iowa for their first offensive possession of the game. They are breaking from the huddle……………………. what the?……………….Iowa is in victory formation on first down on their first offensive possession………………………. Well three straight victory formation and here comes Taylor to punt the ball………………………. my goodness a seventy yard punt downed at the opponents two yard line!!!”

“ESPN is reporting Iowa wins game against Purdue 20-0 with victory formation leading to two safeties and two pick sixes. Purdue Coaches angry and claims Iowa was faking offense from opening kickoff!!!” Claims “That ain’t football!”

Last edited: