What players are available and who would you sign?

hawkeye12345

Would you 'bank' the scholarship like Lick did in his first year or do you find a player that can come in and have an immediate impact?

I personally would sign a JUCO PG or C. I do it this way for two reasons: The first being the obvious need for a proven commodity at either position. The second being that AT would have been on scholarship for 2 more years at Iowa which is the same that a normal JUCO would be on scholarship.

I'd go out and get a JUCO PG. Discuss already has been Kaylon Williams. Rob Howe also mentioned [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR5u7RyziJM"]YouTube- Bobby Hatchett's dunk in Scott County Central's win against Charleston[/ame]

With Lick's system can he afford to go get a Juco anything? It has been said by many of people it takes 2-3 years to learn it anyway what good is a Juco PG going to be then?

Can Lick afford to take a chance and NOT use the scholarship with the incoming class? People have mentioned "banking" the scholly, but if you are a coach sitting on the hot seat,wouldn't you be scouring the juco ranks for someone who can make a positive impact next season.

Can Lick afford to take a chance and NOT use the scholarship with the incoming class? People have mentioned "banking" the scholly, but if you are a coach sitting on the hot seat,wouldn't you be scouring the juco ranks for someone who can make a positive impact next season.

My thoughts exactly!!

I think that banking a scholarship in basketball is moronic and shortsighted. We have averaged about 2 players leaving the program per year on transfers alone. Basketball is a game that one player can greatly affect your production. Find that player and get him on board. We need a true C that can occupy some space and patrol the inside on D and we need a PG that can either jump into the starting role or be a solid backup to Cully. We seem to have the 2, 3 and 4 pretty well covered for the next few years.

what if a non-juco player transferred into iowa? does this only happen at other schools?

of course, that wouldn't help for next year, but it would at least be a nice change of pace...

I'd take whoever can help the team. I'd prefer the four year player over a JUCO, so I like the idea of Bobby Hatchett. Bottomline is Iowa needs some depth at PG.

With Lick's system can he afford to go get a Juco anything? It has been said by many of people it takes 2-3 years to learn it anyway what good is a Juco PG going to be then?

Thats an excuse that Licklovers make when something doesn't work out. May and Cully appear to being fine in the system.

Last edited:
A point guard should be the top priority. Cully Payne is the only true point on the team in the forseeable future. You wonder how long he will be able to take the constant pounding of a Big Ten basketball season with his back problems.

There was a nice article in the Des Moines Register the other day regarding Cully and his family. The article also discussed the constant pain he has to deal with on a daily basis because of back problems.

It is pretty common knowledge that Cully will have to wear a plastic back brace the rest of his career. According to the article, Cully "has a hairline fracture in one of his vertabra, so deep that it will never heal. Another vertabra is defective. The constant pounding of a basketball game leaves the 19-year-old feeling like he's 89 some nights... Payne takes muscle relaxers when necessary and also has pain medication available when needed."

Back problems hampered Jess Settles' career at Iowa. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Cully. Not to read to much into the article but, it sounds almost like every time Cully steps onto the court may be his last time. Hopefully, Cully's back is not a ticking time bomb. However, I sure would be looking for an insurance policy.

Isn't Clark Kellogs son still available?

No, I think he has already committed to Miami of Ohio or Ohio. There is a ton of good JUCO talent out there to be mined. Travis Payton of Central Arizona, Mike James of Eastern Arizona, and Marcus Williams of Cochise come to mind. Also, Kaylon Williams and Kurt Alexander have been mentioned.

A point guard should be the top priority. Cully Payne is the only true point on the team in the forseeable future. You wonder how long he will be able to take the constant pounding of a Big Ten basketball season with his back problems.

Not to read to much into the article but, it sounds almost like every time Cully steps onto the court may be his last time. Hopefully, Cully's back is not a ticking time bomb. However, I sure would be looking for an insurance policy.

I agree with everything you've said but I've heard on that unless he broke his back again or something he should not be causing further damage by playing ball. So I don't think it's a real dire situation but a back is nothing to overlook.

How about Marble, Brust, or McCabe? They have all played the point. Oh wait. Those kids are all ready signed with Iowa.

How about Marble, Brust, or McCabe? They have all played the point. Oh wait. Those kids are all ready signed with Iowa.

I would rather not have to RELY on freshmen to play PG if cully gets injured. Anthony Tucker could "play pg" but he was not a good PG. Hell Matt Gatens could run PG, but you sure as heck don't want him playing PG for an extended time.

I wold not mind getting a JUCO kid to come play PG.

Getting a JUCO would be better though, as an experience backup PG would be better than a frosh. And as much as like the recruits you listed, none of them are true PGs.

There was a nice article in the Des Moines Register the other day regarding Cully and his family. The article also discussed the constant pain he has to deal with on a daily basis because of back problems.

It is pretty common knowledge that Cully will have to wear a plastic back brace the rest of his career. According to the article, Cully "has a hairline fracture in one of his vertabra, so deep that it will never heal. Another vertabra is defective. The constant pounding of a basketball game leaves the 19-year-old feeling like he's 89 some nights... Payne takes muscle relaxers when necessary and also has pain medication available when needed."

Back problems hampered Jess Settles' career at Iowa. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Cully. Not to read to much into the article but, it sounds almost like every time Cully steps onto the court may be his last time. Hopefully, Cully's back is not a ticking time bomb. However, I sure would be looking for an insurance policy.

I broke vertabra in my back playing football in college. It never healed but I was cleared to play as there wasn't the risk of spinal damage...only that the pain could get so severe it wouldn't go away without surgery. With basketball Cully shouldn't take the constant pounding to really cause any additional problems. However, I'm sure he does have to deal with some pain, and being able to play through it will come down to his own pain threshold.

Latest posts