What players are available and who would you sign?

How about Marble, Brust, or McCabe? They have all played the point. Oh wait. Those kids are all ready signed with Iowa.

In terms of Marble and McCabe...how many 6'6" or greater true PG are out there? Maybe one or two a year. No offense to those guys but if they had true PG ability their scholarship offers would be very different. Brust from posts by HawkeyeBball and others is not a true PG, more of a scorer first mentality. Probably somebody in the Tucker mode.

This is not a knock on any of these guys because I think they all of skills we need, just not in the category of giving you extended minutes at the PG in case Cully gets injured.

Maybe coach thinks like you do but if he does I really think he is making a mistake.

Getting a JUCO would be better though, as an experience backup PG would be better than a frosh. And as much as like the recruits you listed, none of them are true PGs.
What about this complex system issue? What would be the point in bringing in someone that would be gone before they have a full grasp of the system?

Just a question: do children of university employees get free tuition?

No. University Employees must pay full tuition for their son/daughter to attend.

At private college's it is different. I know at some private collage's in Iowa if a parent works at the college their son/daughter can attend for free.

Brust from posts by HawkeyeBball and others is not a true PG, more of a scorer first mentality. Probably somebody in the Tucker mode.

I don't think being a score first mentality is a bad attribute for this offense. It's really all about drive and finish or drive and dish. We dont' run big offensive sets that mandate one player get everything started. We run a series of pick and rolls with G's and P's. Provided he has enough ball skills to effectively get the ball into the front court against pressure he would be just fine.

Some of you think it is a case of our staff just going out and selecting a player to sign like there are these kids waiting to play for Iowa.

I think you forget that the player has to select Iowa and our staff doesn't have a good track record of convincing and signing players.

The pool of players that will play the style of ball that Iowa now plays will be quite small and the number of players that can play in the Big 10 even smaller. Plus the last three seasons are not going to attract players like bees to honey.

The last thing this program needs is a slow, unathletic role player just to fill a schloarship. This is late in the season, I don't know what players are available for a team like Iowa. There aren't going to be a lot of players for a team like Iowa. Also the last thing we need is a guy coming in and deciding a year later he doesn't like Iowa's system and leaving.

Some of you think it is a case of our staff just going out and selecting a player to sign like there are these kids waiting to play for Iowa.

I think you forget that the player has to select Iowa and our staff doesn't have a good track record of convincing and signing players.

The pool of players that will play the style of ball that Iowa now plays will be quite small and the number of players that can play in the Big 10 even smaller. Plus the last three seasons are not going to attract players like bees to honey.

The last thing this program needs is a slow, unathletic role player just to fill a schloarship. This is late in the season, I don't know what players are available for a team like Iowa. There aren't going to be a lot of players for a team like Iowa. Also the last thing we need is a guy coming in and deciding a year later he doesn't like Iowa's system and leaving.

+1 Finding a player to replace Tucker is easier said than done for this staff... IMHO, its the difference between a successful Lickliter tenure and an unsuccessful one.

Right, and the real stickler is finding ones that can qualify academically. I'm sure there are plenty of good players available, but the pool gets even smaller when you cut out the ones that can qualify to play at Iowa. If only more athletes had the mental capabilities to go along with there athletic abilities.

What about this complex system issue? What would be the point in bringing in someone that would be gone before they have a full grasp of the system?
The system is predicated on having upperclassmen teaching the new guys.
Next year will be the first year that Iowa will have upperclassmen in the system - upperclassmen that have been in the system for more than two years. That's big.

No. University Employees must pay full tuition for their son/daughter to attend.

At private college's it is different. I know at some private collage's in Iowa if a parent works at the college their son/daughter can attend for free.

Thanks for clarifying.

Have the Ferentz boys been on scholarship or have they been walk-ons? If scholarship, should John Lickliter be any different?

Latest posts