What one statistic would you wish Iowa would lead the B1G Ten in this year?

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
I

Ian Pike Hammer

OK, which 2? We all would no doubt include at least one defensive category. I choose "total defense" as one of mine. On offense, 3 pt. FG%. Yours?

Yes defensive rebounding or forced turnovers and also point guard assists which would seem not to be in the cards but if it happened look out,

Iowa allowed opponents to shoot 37.6% from 3. If that could drop 2 or 3 percentage points it would make a world of difference.

Rebound, baby rebound and mind game player. Irritated the heck out of opponent players. Don’t be afraid to bang with big man. Draw fouls. Get him to foul out of games. Flop as much as you can.

Last edited:
Steals - last year we had 172 and our opponents had 232. Better passing and less dribbling should help that. This is one of the reasons I think Conner should be the #1 PG with Jordy at the SG.

Greg Brunner was the leading rebounder with 7.8 rebounds per game, If some one can match that or more, Iowa can at least win 25 games.

Steals - last year we had 172 and our opponents had 232. Better passing and less dribbling should help that. This is one of the reasons I think Conner should be the #1 PG with Jordy at the SG.

I see what u mean. That's a negative 60 possessions!

I was going to say wins, but a few beat me to it. Any... and I mean any, improvement on defense, including but not limited to steals, opponent's shooting %, and metal toughness, would be an uptick from last season. I know that you all are saying, "Well,...DUH!!", but its not like the Hawks went into each game thinking that defense was optional, ( though it may of looked like that at times ), they just, for whatever reason, could not get into the mindset of playing defense with any type of passion or even pride. If the coaching staff and players can find that switch to play defense at a level that is 25% to 40% better than last season, that's at least 8 - 10 more wins, in my opinion.

Greg Brunner was the leading rebounder with 7.8 rebounds per game, If some one can match that or more, Iowa can at least win 25 games.
Brunner was a beast, and had big games against big competition. I'd like to know what his average was for MPG a couple of those years. I'll bet it approached 35. That's my only caveat but he was a heckuva player.

Free throws attempted, made and FT %. If they lead even in FTs attempted, it means they're probably winning a lot of games because other teams have to foul them at the end of games.