What is "wrong" with the program

hawkfarmer

Ok, so I do not follow wrestling very much except to find out the results of big matches and duels etc.

I know that many on here thing something is "wrong" with the program that it is not up to standards right now. Obviously the upper weights are a little weak and seems like people are disappointed in the effort of some wrestlers.

So my question is, what's "wrong"?

Is it talent/recruiting? Is this getting any better in the near future?
Do we not have the talent it takes right now?
Is it injuries or effort?

What is it?

Personally, I think the only thing "wrong" with the program is that our plans at the beginning of the year were mucked up due to administration and injuries. St. John was hurt most of the year, Gambrall battled concussions, Carew was hurt and Byers wasn't granted admission. That's a hell of a lot of points right there.

Personally, I think the only thing "wrong" with the program is that our plans at the beginning of the year were mucked up due to administration and injuries. St. John was hurt most of the year, Gambrall battled concussions, Carew was hurt and Byers wasn't granted admission. That's a hell of a lot of points right there.

Good pints. This combined with 9.9 scholarships. You basically can't have a "miss" in wrestling due to the scholly limits. And you certainly can't have several misses.

Ok, so I do not follow wrestling very much except to find out the results of big matches and duels etc.

I know that many on here thing something is "wrong" with the program that it is not up to standards right now. Obviously the upper weights are a little weak and seems like people are disappointed in the effort of some wrestlers.

What is it?

There's a pretty easy answer to that question. what's "wrong" is that the people on here who think someone is "wrong" with the program don't know very much about college wrestling. They just expect iowa guys to win teh national title every year because they have an Iowa singlet on. Those days are over. Everyone on here that is a regular, educated poster understands that Iowa wrestling is fine and the future is bright.
Not to mention all of Herkey's good points as well.

I also think the rise of HS wrestling talent in the East over the past few decades has shifted some power that direction. Cael has done a good accumulating that talent at one place that can compete with Iowa (the shrinking number of college programs combined with the rapid growth at the HS level has helped that).

I still think Iowa will win championships, but the wrestling landscape has shifted and I think the period of the Iowa/OSU oligarchy has ended.

There's a pretty easy answer to that question. what's "wrong" is that the people on here who think someone is "wrong" with the program don't know very much about college wrestling. They just expect iowa guys to win teh national title every year because they have an Iowa singlet on. Those days are over. Everyone on here that is a regular, educated poster understands that Iowa wrestling is fine and the future is bright.
Not to mention all of Herkey's good points as well.

No need to preach at me. I don't think there is anything wrong, I knew there were some high expectations this year and was wondering why they weren't met. That's all.

Not sure it's "wrong" but more of a different approach but it seems like Iowa has the recruiting approach to have a number of solid guys at each weight battling it out for the spot as opposed to Penn State where they'll throw a larger scholarship at a superstar and not spend as much on 2nd/3rd/4th string guys. The second approach is a little riskier with potential injuries but seems to be working well right now for Penn State who has young phenoms at most of their weights. Also, it seems the upper weights have been slightly overlooked in years past but have made major strides with picking up Burak and Brooks this year.

No need to preach at me. I don't think there is anything wrong, I knew there were some high expectations this year and was wondering why they weren't met. That's all.

i wasn't trying to preach at you. More the people you refer to in your original post that always feel something is wrong when other teams beat us.

The biggest thing to me seems like several of the Iowa wrestlers don't have the aggressive style we are used to seeing, yeah some years there are 1 maybe 2 like that, but this year it seems like we are seeing that more and more from the Iowa team.

What is it?

What is "wrong" is people thinking anything is "wrong" with a team has won 3 of the last 4 national titles,took 3rd last year, is ranked third in the nation this year and in their last NINETY FIVE matches is 84-5-1 (!!!!).

Can we please stop this ridiculous conversation? Penn St. is good, Ohio State is good, Minnesota is good, Okie State is good. Get over it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Hawkeyes and to even suggest it is ubsurd. Do you know how ignorant it sounds to say something is wrong with a team that has a .933 winning percentage? This isn't the football forum or the basketball forum where its ok to get emotional and ridiculous. Anyone who knows the sport knows theres nothing wrong with the team. If you want to win every single match, tournament, and dual meet then root for Blair Academy.

What is "wrong" is people thinking anything is "wrong" with a team has won 3 of the last 4 national titles,took 3rd last year, is ranked third in the nation this year and in their last NINETY FIVE matches is 84-5-1 (!!!!).

Can we please stop this ridiculous conversation? Penn St. is good, Ohio State is good, Minnesota is good, Okie State is good. Get over it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Hawkeyes and to even suggest it is ubsurd. Do you know how ignorant it sounds to say something is wrong with a team that has a .933 winning percentage? This isn't the football forum or the basketball forum where its ok to get emotional and ridiculous. Anyone who knows the sport knows theres nothing wrong with the team. If you want to win every single match, tournament, and dual meet then root for Blair Academy.

1. Your math sucks, that is 90 matches which gives you a record of 84-5-1

2. to the second bolded part, you sure about that??

3. I was wondering what people thought happened from this year from the run of 3 straight titles. Some people consider it as having something "wrong" I was just curious what people thought.

No need to be a complete DICK about it.

Last edited:

Step away from the ledge ... Step away from the ledge ... :)

nothing like having ppl that never post in the wrestling forum come in around big ten and ncaa time to give their two cents cracks me up bout how lil they know whats gone on during the season and what is to come

nothing like having ppl that never post in the wrestling forum come in around big ten and ncaa time to give their two cents cracks me up bout how lil they know whats gone on during the season and what is to come

Ill make a sig bet we dont place top 3 at NCAAs

Sorry pin, didn't mean to upset you. I follow the scores throughout the season and read the forums a little to see people are worried about Iowa not being as dominated. I don't know all the wrestlers or their recruiting prowess or their skill levels, so I thought I would ask. Just happened to see people disappointed with the B1G finish.

There is nothing "wrong" with Iowa Wrestling. There are a lot of things right with Penn State, Iowa, Minnesota, Oklahoma State..........

wrong was the wrong word. Maybe what is holding Iowa back this year from being elite?

You won't like that either but it's the best i got.

Latest posts