What Is This Obsession With Brett Bielema?

I'm not sure why some on this thread are against a coach with a personality. I will take a Dan Gable, or a Hayden Fry over Captain Boring any day. Sports are supposed to be fun and interesting. Wouldn't it be great to actually want to listen to a press conference, or a post-game conference without wanting to either punch the coach, or take a nap?!!

I'm not sure why some on this thread are against a coach with a personality. I will take a Dan Gable, or a Hayden Fry over Captain Boring any day. Sports are supposed to be fun and interesting. Wouldn't it be great to actually want to listen to a press conference, or a post-game conference without wanting to either punch the coach, or take a nap?!!

Especially with college age individuals. It really helps with recruiting. I'm sold. There are more valid points to the advantages than there are to the negative. It would be a story. The full circle path back to Iowa along with the tattoo. Always meant to be kind of deal.

I'm just afraid he's done the BIG thing already at one of the best home venues in the BIG. I'm not sure he would leave now unless for big $$$, unless he a couple years faltering at Arkansas and in the SEC. I could see him then cutting his losses & coming back to the BIG.

If he does make Arkansas a powerhouse in the SEC west in the years to come, that will solidify his legend as a college coach. He'll be able to do anything he wants or go anywhere he damn well pleases.

I personally find him to be an arrogant jack-*** and can't stand the guy. On the other hand, he aint Ferentz........... I'll take him!;)

My thoughts exactly. He's loathesome and somewhat vile but if he'll hang 70 on ISU, Nebraska, and NU, I'll take him.

I just want the big offensive line mauling people over mixed in with an over-the-top PA passing game that would be enough to get 8-10 victories most years. Any coach that would routinely beat down garbage ISU teams I am all on board with.

And if he can occasionally land former pro baseball players turned Super Bowl winning QB(s) or pizza delivery TE (s) turned beast DE(s) than that would be just gravy.:)

I could have swore 4 yrs ago, most posters loathed the guy & called him a big fat overweight toad. Now, everyone seems to think he has to be the next head coach. I personally was never into the guy & didn't like the way he ran his personal life around Madison. Maybe I was wrong. I just can't believe how back then most couldn't stand the guy and now he's the best thing since sliced bread. Which is it? Are people on here just a bunch of hypocrites?

Here's why he's wanted.

1. Can out recruit KF.
2. Can out coach KF.
3. Doesn't set on a lead. Keeps running his offense and scoring points.
4. Doesn't care if he hurts another programs feelings.
5. Would beat the snot out of ISU.

fat_guy_dancingBalema_zps4166ff68.gif

Can you think of any reason why he would take the Iowa job?
I know I can think of a couple... Iowa is his alma matre. Iowa is a job where if you get it you'll have a tough time getting fired from. Iowa will over pay you what the going rate should be for you.... Quite frankly whenever the Iowa job opens up it'll be a pretty darn highly sought after gig. Iowa should be able to get a big name. It'll be about finding the right fit. The resume Bret has is by far the best fit. I'd take him over Stoops as a matter of fact. His style of play knowing the recruiting game here... I can go on repeating what many have said. And even all of that doesn't guarantee a dang thing in how it'd play out. But I'd sure take him over the field now...

Bret inherited an absolutely loaded Wisconson team and Alvarez's top notch assistants too. He enjoyed a couple good years. His best recruiting move was to follow Kirk around and offer guys as soon as Iowa made an offer. As soon as Alvarez's recruits started graduating trouble hit and all the assistants bailed on him. He raced out of town before things completely unwound. His Arkansas teams have been not mediocre. Why would we want that? He's unproven. His best quality is his Hawkeye tattoo.

As g11 pointed out, you are clueless. And it's not like Bielema wasn't recruiting players while he was an assistant at Wisconsin or that what he did on defense wasn't a reason players came there to play on their defense. And they were probably telling the recruits that were coming in that he would be the next head coach. He won the last three B10 titles he was around for, and since he was there six years, obviously those three Big Ten titles were with his guys.

i guess that means you are clueless.

Plenty of articles out there on Brett and his Wisconson legacy. Here's a few quotes: "Bielema's Wisconsin teams rarely beat opponents with more touted high school talent. Under Bielema, the Badgers went 1-5 against Ohio State, 2-3 against Penn State and 2-4 in bowl games. Wisconsin's success is based on consistently beating its two-star peers in the Big Ten -- Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue. Wisconsin fans considered Bielema competent but workmanlike, certainly not a genius, and his successful years occurred while Ohio State and Penn State were on probation and the Rich Rod was creating a mess at Michigan. Paul Chryst was the offensive wizard at Wisky. Bielema's flaws left him unloved by many Badgers fans -- questionable late-game management, a personality that bordered on cocky and the vocabulary of a drunken sailor."
So at worst

he made the most of the opportunity when the big boys tripped up and the league became a weak league

rather

than not taking advantage of a weak league and slid along with it into mediocrity.

Bret inherited an absolutely loaded Wisconson team and Alvarez's top notch assistants too. He enjoyed a couple good years. His best recruiting move was to follow Kirk around and offer guys as soon as Iowa made an offer. As soon as Alvarez's recruits started graduating trouble hit and all the assistants bailed on him. He raced out of town before things completely unwound. His Arkansas teams have been not mediocre. Why would we want that? He's unproven. His best quality is his Hawkeye tattoo.

You don't really believe all that do you?

Fry protege

Proven winner

Hates the Cyclones

Likes erasing doubt when taking a lead

Can execute a fake punt

Can defend a fake punt

Doesn't want to pad the staff and take up scholarships with his kids

Isn't interested in punking the taxpayers with public housing schemes

Avoids destroying athletic careers with rhabdo

What's not to like?

Brilliant

Soooo because Anderson took Bielema's talent and won two division championships that means Bielema is a toad? Dude you don't know your head from your backside.

Latest posts