What Is This Obsession With Brett Bielema?

Fry protege

Proven winner

Hates the Cyclones

Likes erasing doubt when taking a lead

Can execute a fake punt

Can defend a fake punt

Doesn't want to pad the staff and take up scholarships with his kids

Isn't interested in punking the taxpayers with public housing schemes

Avoids destroying athletic careers with rhabdo

What's not to like?

I like the list but... whose athletic career was destroyed by rhabdo?

BB is an arrogant POS who has raised the art of professional douchebaggery to heretofore unseen heights. This program can do better.

BB is an arrogant POS who has raised the art of professional douchebaggery to heretofore unseen heights. This program can do better.

You not liking BB is reason enough to like him. You remind me of a movie critic. When they say a movie is bad it's always really good.

Something funny about Bielema's suddenly deciding to go to Arkansas. Wisconson was coming off several great seasons and Arkansas had struggled for years. Wisconson was poised for more success while Arkansas was going to require rebuilding and at least a couple losing seasons. Wisconson has a better football tradition than Arkansas. Both are close to prime recruiting areas. Arkansas has more hillbillies? SEC competion would mean he'd have to coach/recruit etc. at a higher level. Salary range similar...a strange lateral career move. What bugs me is coaching your team to the Rose Bowl, then suddenly slipping out of town for a new job unexpectedly without completing the season and coaching your team in the Rose Bowl. How many coaches would guide a team to a championship game then leave before coaching that game? Explain that, show me some precedence for this type of coaching decision and I'll get on the Bielema bandwagon.

I could have swore 4 yrs ago, most posters loathed the guy & called him a big fat overweight toad. Now, everyone seems to think he has to be the next head coach. I personally was never into the guy & didn't like the way he ran his personal life around Madison. Maybe I was wrong. I just can't believe how back then most couldn't stand the guy and now he's the best thing since sliced bread. Which is it? Are people on here just a bunch of hypocrites?

I feel the same way.

Something funny about Bielema's suddenly deciding to go to Arkansas. Wisconson was coming off several great seasons and Arkansas had struggled for years. Wisconson was poised for more success while Arkansas was going to require rebuilding and at least a couple losing seasons. Wisconson has a better football tradition than Arkansas. Both are close to prime recruiting areas. Arkansas has more hillbillies? SEC competion would mean he'd have to coach/recruit etc. at a higher level. Salary range similar...a strange lateral career move. What bugs me is coaching your team to the Rose Bowl, then suddenly slipping out of town for a new job unexpectedly without completing the season and coaching your team in the Rose Bowl. How many coaches would guide a team to a championship game then leave before coaching that game? Explain that, show me some precedence for this type of coaching decision and I'll get on the Bielema bandwagon.

Him and Alvarez butted heads quite a bit. I believe he left in large part because they wouldn’t surround him with good assistants.

Jeeze, Saban of Alabama is a db.. You don't want him either?? For crying out loud, every successful coach I can think of is a db. Pull your head out of your azz. ..

I'll tell you one thing BB won't do that Kurt does. BB won't demand one unit of the team (the defense) ALWAYS be more dominant than the other part of the team (the offense)... even when the defense isn't stellar. Like Iowa's defense wasn't stellar this season.

It's called coaching to win. For example, making up for deficiencies in other areas of the team and giving the team a chance to win. That's something KF didn't do this season.

So yeah, I agree after reading it from posts from other threads, KF has more important goals for his teams than winning. How does anyone feel about that?

Last edited:
I think Brett is the most intriguing because he has coached at the major level. I would be much more excited about him then a MAC-level coach. The fact that Brett played at Iowa is also a factor ... in my book ... because he knows the fanbase ... he knows the expectations ... he knows the passion ... And I think he fits into that mold ... I think he would be a relentless recruiter ... I think he would be in an energetic staff ... I used to sort of dismiss his name anytime someone would bring it up ... Now ... I have different thoughts ... I think he would be a good fit ... Can we get him? Well ... we need an "opening" first ... :)

Can it? Sorry, guess I forgot that Iowa's program is so elite that it can afford to be that picky.

Maybe winning doesn't matter to Iowans.. Guess I grew up in the wrong state, because I don't share that viewpoint. If you aren't going to try your best to win, then why bother competing in the first place? I just don't believe in doing anything half-a$$. Give it 100%, or don't bother because you're wasting your time with anything less. That's the only way I can look at it.

I couldn't care less of our coach is arrogant, as long as he wins. Being a nice guy is not a requirement.

I think Brett is the most intriguing because he has coached at the major level. I would be much more excited about him then a MAC-level coach. The fact that Brett played at Iowa is also a factor ... in my book ... because he knows the fanbase ... he knows the expectations ... he knows the passion ... And I think he fits into that mold ... I think he would be a relentless recruiter ... I think he would be in an energetic staff ... I used to sort of dismiss his name anytime someone would bring it up ... Now ... I have different thoughts ... I think he would be a good fit ... Can we get him? Well ... we need an "opening" first ... :)

The thing about Bret is his passion for the Iowa program. It wouldnt be the fake "On Wisconsin" or the Pig sooey ******** he has to do now. The guy bleeds black and gold. Not saying he doesnt work hard at Wisconsin and Arkansas, but him running the Iowa program would be an entire different deal for him. Iowa football is his passion the other places are just jobs.

I couldn't care less who BB is as a person or how he leads his personal life, just as long as he isn't a criminal.. The guy wins and has obvious ties to Iowa. That's what I'm interested in.It seems like some people's expectations for our next coach go in this order:1. He's a nice guy.2. He can win.
Eh, I've heard he's actually a pretty giant d#ck head...but then again maybe Iowa could use a guy like like Bret Bielema...if Princeton could use a guy like Joel Goodson...

Eh, I've heard he's actually a pretty giant d#ck head...but then again maybe Iowa could use a guy like like Bret Bielema...if Princeton could use a guy like Joel Goodson...

Elaborate on the differences between him and KF?

Looks like Iowa dodged a bullet here. BB is now 27-29 overall in 5 years and is 10-24 in the SEC.

This isn't meant to bash him but he seriously needs to slim down a little. I'd be worried about him getting through the contract if he was hired.

That said, the only way Kirk leaves any money and years on the table is if Brian is given the job.

This isn't meant to bash him but he seriously needs to slim down a little. I'd be worried about him getting through the contract if he was hired.

That said, the only way Kirk leaves any money and years on the table is if Brian is given the job.

And you and I both know that will happen and Kirk's latest contract and the move of Brian to OC paves the way for that. IMO we could certainly do worse and younger Hawk fans may enjoy many years of some really good and different football from what we see now. Bielema just doesn't fit the mold here of what the power brokers who run things at Iowa want regardless of how fans view him off the field. I see Brian as playing more aggressive, modern football while upholding the integrity of the program and graduating his kids just like Kirk does. I learned a long time ago to just appreciate what you have in life and don't worry about what you don't.

Latest posts