What is the Mayor thinking?

It will be very interesting, no doubt. There is little doubt that ISU will have a lot of talent available to them next year. Point guard will be an issue for them to sort out. If Diante Garrett had another year, they might be able to contend next year.

It will be very interesting, no doubt. There is little doubt that ISU will have a lot of talent available to them next year. Point guard will be an issue for them to sort out. If Diante Garrett had another year, they might be able to contend next year.

Very true. We are just waiting for some PG somewhere to be kicked off their team, transfer, and be immediately eligible.;)

In reality, it seems that it will be PG by committee next year. Fred's challenge will be keeping everyone focused/out of trouble and spreading minutes around.

Darn: You know Brandon Davies is next.

There are so many talented kids transferring these days, I think it's crazy not to look at that "market" as one where you can quickly upgrade talent. You get a great practice player for a year, and if he messes up again, you cut them loose.

So far, so good for Hoiberg, but yes, it could fail miserably. But all of the transfers have had a smooth road in Ames thus far.

I really think it's a very smart move by Fred. They're going to give him 3-5 years minimum. If this blows up in his face he's still got 1-2 years to turn it around and save his job. If it is successful, and he sends a couple of these talented players to the NBA the recruits will start rolling in.

Whomever gets Brandon Davies is going to be ecstatic. Great kid and a very good basketball player. Jimmer gets all the press, but without Davies, BYU goes from at least a 2 seed to 5 or below.

I can't believe ISU fans would be ok with this, after all they don't like how Bill Snyder recruits JUCO's at KState and how many times did they give Brands crap for bringing in VT transfers (even though 4 of the 5 were Iowa kids)?

I guess since the shoe is on the other foot that is is fine now.

I can't believe ISU fans would be ok with this, after all they don't like how Bill Snyder recruits JUCO's at KState and how many times did they give Brands crap for bringing in VT transfers (even though 4 of the 5 were Iowa kids)?

My favorite is the clone fans that support Fred on this and then jump into the SI article thread to bash Iowa.

I think it will say a lot about Fred's coaching. If he can keep these players reigned in and behaving... great! If they have issues, it hurt him in the long run. They had to do something, they have no bench. Probably a good strategy, but too early to tell.

I think he can control these guys, basically b/c the environment in Ames makes it hard to get in trouble. The bars give athletes whatever they want and they get any girl they want. BUT anyone who bashes the 18 from Iowa story is an idiot. Everyone gets mip's

Iowa and ISU both needed a serious influx of talent when the new coaches took over. Hoiberg is just going for the quick fix bringing in guys who have proven they can play at a high level. I would not be opposed to this strategy whatsoever if Fran went this route.

They are losing Garrett next year. That void at point guard is huge. Also, they lose their best rebounder in Jake Anderson and also lose Vanderbeken. That's a lot of production lost, especially Garrett. I don't care how much talent a team has, if they are without a very good PG they will struggle. Remember when Pierre Pierce was a freshman on that team with Recker, Evans and company. They struggled mightily in part because they didn't have a good PG running the show. As for Cory Lucious, he's wont be eligible to play next year and will only have one season to play in Ames.

Boy, if he can keep them out of jail & reeled in, they could really have a good team. This is definitely a dynamic situation & pretty unprecedented in Ames. It will be interesting if this experiment explodes on Hoiberg or if he can make gold out of a few bad apples.

If it doesn't work, I am certain ISU fans will be critical. It is certainly a higher risk road...but I am certainly willing to give him and them the benefit of the doubt until it doesn't.

I have no problem with what Fred is doing and hope it works out. What I do not believe is the postings that consistantly talk about how bad the players sitting out are beating the starters during practice.

Diante will be missed.

I have no problem with what Fred is doing and hope it works out. What I do not believe is the postings that consistantly talk about how bad the players sitting out are beating the starters during practice.

I agree and have argued about it. It's probably happened on occasion but it's become urban legend and those who have fallen for it frustrate me.

ISU brings in 3 PG for next year. 2 frosh and a juco. One needs to step up but they won't be Diante. Diante has been tremendous this year.

Latest posts