What is JVB's deal anyway?

DarthKinnick

Why the bizarre meltdowns last year?

He's been in the program long enough and has taken enough snaps.

Any former QBs on the board who could opine?

Why did he pull the Christensen act with balls in the ground, balls sailing over heads, and eating the ball so much?

Just asking.

It happens to everyone. He also did a lot of things most people didn't expect him to, he was fine and not the problem /thread.

The better question is, why is Darth in the mood to bash Iowa football today? Is he a troll? Or just not getting enough attention from mommy, so he needs to complain about something?

My observation is JVB usually had issues in the first qtr or third of a game. I was screaming last football season for KOK to give jvb easy early passes to get him settled in and get his footwork settled and him relaxed.

If you look at the Nebraska game and some others he made good early throws to stationary targets like coker settling in a zone or easy out patterns with stationary wide receivers. But any routes that had a lot of crossing speed he would be high, low, wide and behind.

I am hoping Greg davis will really coach him up as he has really worked with a lot of great qbs.

One thing that didn't help was not having an elite D. Way more pressure on offense last year. JvB had a vastly superior statistical year as 4th yr Jr than Stanzi. But Rick got some things done one road and under pressure and also had an elite D

Elite pass defenses stymied both Vandy and Iowa's receivers.
This year, PSU, Nebby, and Okie grounded Iowa's pass offense.

I'm at a loss to explain Iowa's performance against Minnesota.
Minnesota is Iowa's devil's triangle.

EDIT: and yeah, the OP is trolling for a reaction.

Last edited:
Average QB huh. He put up like the 4th or 5th best year an Iowa QB has put up numbers wise. Certainly, he had issue handling pressure and tended to get happy feet when his primary was covered, but he showed he could deliver the ball where it need to be more often than not.

I'd be asking this question...what would his numbers have looked like if his receivers didn't lead the B10 or possibly the country in dropped balls. The other thing that is overlooked is the fact that the drops stopped drives which hurt his numbers...and the team. Think about every game, Davis at Iowa State for example. He catches that ball, I think we score and the pressure goes to them.

JVB wasn't the primary issue last year...our defense couldn't stop teams and our receivers weren't consistent in keeping drives going. I'd also hang the game plans on the coaches before I would point the finger at JVB. We pounding the ball against Minnesota...why are we throwing on 3rd and four in the red zone???? The subsequent hit and fumble cost us that game. 3rd and four...with Coker sitting on 250 yards rushing...ever heard of two down territory KOK.

You guys are morons if you want to hang last season on JVB.

A) his Osu game in 2009 wasn't great. If you actually watch the game you would come to the same conclusion. Some drives and plays were great, his overall play was shaky. Mcnutt was great. Yes, under the circumstances he greatly exceeded expectations. The legend of that game has certainly grown. b) he wasn't the reason for a bad 2011, but he also wasn't so good that he was responsible for a handful of wins by himself. Great players do this. I have no problem with him as the starter, but how can people actually argue that Vberg is great?

JVB wasn't the primary issue last year...our defense couldn't stop teams and our receivers weren't consistent in keeping drives going. I'd also hang the game plans on the coaches before I would point the finger at JVB. We pounding the ball against Minnesota...why are we throwing on 3rd and four in the red zone???? The subsequent hit and fumble cost us that game. 3rd and four...with Coker sitting on 250 yards rushing...ever heard of two down territory KOK.

You guys are morons if you want to hang last season on JVB.

Agreed. JVB at his best when he gets off to a good start. Coaches needed to ****** plays to get him that good start.

If JVB can be put in position for more success he should have a great senior season. Coker could catch it so we need to find out if new rbs can catch the outlet and swing passes.

I think the thing that was out of JVB's hands that hurt him was the WR drops. We lead the B1G in drops. I'm sure it didn't help having a TE like Herman who drops balls like Dr Dre drops F-bombs

But did the wideouts drop the ball cause of bad passes? JVB overthrew the long ball and just never found the right touch/chemistry on that pass. On the short routes he threw behind the receiver a lot and he overpowered the short crossing route too much. He also starred down the WR too much. One game he went to his dump off route Coker like 10 times in one quarter.

Than there was running JVB, the scariest thing in the world. It's not that he was a bad runner, it's just he back a deer in the headlights after one run. He'd get happy feet for the rest of the drive if he ran the ball once. Also his pocket presence was not existent, just rewatch the bowl game. The Oline looked bad cause JVB either held on to the ball too long or just didn't step up into the pocket. And while we are on his non passing evaluations his hurry up QB sneak calling his own number got old. Sure it worked in the first half of the season when we were playing South Dakota high school teams but in the later half it was caught on to so it become stuffed or penalized

It's obivious that JVB is has one road win to his name and one trophy game win (which came two years ago with the orange bowl team). He has a arm of an NFLer but the record of Linsay Lohan.

I'm glad Davis is here to help him and I'm glad we got Rudock, Sokol, Beathard for competition.

Numbers wise he wasn't too bad at all last year. Unfortunately he just had horrible home/away splits.

Incorrect. Though he was bad on the road, its more of being horrible against good defenses, and good against bad ones. As others have suggested, this is not uncommon of an average QB.

Also, enough with the "dropped passes" excuse. Though some of those were by McNutt, Vandy and his numbers were greatly enhanced by having arguably the best Iowa WR of all time to throw to.

not sure you can call a QB that throws for over 3000 yrds in the Iowa system avg.
he was a 1st year starter, and played as such, as a senior i expect a better JVB that has seen the bullets and felt the pressure, nothing beats experience, he is not a JC and he was not up to RS standards, and i remember how people were calling for JVB because he was so much better than RS, my how the worm has turned on JVB

Why the bizarre meltdowns last year?

He's been in the program long enough and has taken enough snaps.

Any former QBs on the board who could opine?

Why did he pull the Christensen act with balls in the ground, balls sailing over heads, and eating the ball so much?

Just asking.

I thought your posts in the "what will record be"-type thread were a little "off".

Comparing JVB to Jake Christensen indicates a little MORE than "off". JVB was NOT that bad.

Still, he does have problems. He can't throw to his right off a straight drop, he can't seem to set himself if/when he senses the slightest amount of pressure, and he sells himself short on scramble/run ability. But when he is on, he is most definitely ON.

Latest posts