What is JVB's deal anyway?

A) his Osu game in 2009 wasn't great. If you actually watch the game you would come to the same conclusion. Some drives and plays were great, his overall play was shaky. Mcnutt was great. Yes, under the circumstances he greatly exceeded expectations. The legend of that game has certainly grown. b) he wasn't the reason for a bad 2011, but he also wasn't so good that he was responsible for a handful of wins by himself. Great players do this. I have no problem with him as the starter, but how can people actually argue that Vberg is great?

You're right. He had a decent game at OSU, especially given the gloom and doom attitude surrounding the contest considering our starting QB had gone down the previous game and JVB didn't impress in that game against a weaker NW team.

I agree though that our biggest issue isn't at QB.

Incorrect. Though he was bad on the road, its more of being horrible against good defenses, and good against bad ones. As others have suggested, this is not uncommon of an average QB.

Also, enough with the "dropped passes" excuse. Though some of those were by McNutt, Vandy and his numbers were greatly enhanced by having arguably the best Iowa WR of all time to throw to.

Disagree on the dropped balls. A dropped pass by the receiver after the rest of the team executes is like turnover. Certainly you don't lose the field position in some cases, but you give the ball to the team when you shouldn't, just like a turnover. What do 30 drops do to our turnover margin? The other thing is providing the other team momentum and more opportunities on offense. With the defense we had last year, this was paramount to stacking the deck against our weakest side of the ball.

McNutt helped JVB's numbers by making great catches...he also dropped passes at an alarming rate for a SR wide out. It didn't make sense.

I don't disagree with your statement about him not playing well against the likes of Penn State, MSU, and Nebraska. I wouldn't put it all on him though. Did we think we were going to run the ball consistently against those teams, especially Penn State and MSU? Neither of those teams respected our running game and were pinning their ears back. Where was the screen game and short passing game to the RBs. Against Nebraska, we were pushing their D around, yet Coker couldn't find a hole or KOK was intent to throw the ball. Not a great coaching effort there either.

Disagree on the dropped balls. A dropped pass by the receiver after the rest of the team executes is like turnover. Certainly you don't lose the field position in some cases, but you give the ball to the team when you shouldn't, just like a turnover. What do 30 drops do to our turnover margin? The other thing is providing the other team momentum and more opportunities on offense. With the defense we had last year, this was paramount to stacking the deck against our weakest side of the ball.

This is a good point.

If JVB is an average QB I can't wait until we get a good one. How many TD's did he throw and how many int's? All of this in his first year starting. Man I can't wait until we can dump him and get a good one in there. :(

We were spoiled with Stanzi. He has had moments of greatness, but honestly... his expectations are very high. He could do better... but who couldn't? His numbers surely do not reflect the attitude given by many fans.
It's almost like SOME just wake up and search for something to complain about. JVB is fine.. and has a higher ceiling than what he has been playing at. Which is good.

We were spoiled with Stanzi. He has had moments of greatness, but honestly... his expectations are very high. He could do better... but who couldn't? His numbers surely do not reflect the attitude given by many fans.
It's almost like SOME just wake up and search for something to complain about. JVB is fine.. and has a higher ceiling than what he has been playing at. Which is good.

Spoiled with Stanzi? Stanzi had a terrible Jr. year and his defense saved him time and time again. He made plays at the end of games that were amazing, but the reason we were in those positions in 2009 was because of his inept play in the first half of games. Shonn Greene was a bit of a help in his first campaign starting in 2008.

Please tell me a game in Stanzi's senior year, where he had the ball at the end of the game and he made it happen to win the game? He failed four times...Arizona, Wisconsin, OSU, and NW. People put the blame on the defense for spitting up those leads late, but for christ's sake they were on the field most of the second half because our offense, led by Stanzi, couldn't get a freaking first down. Gee, if we score to go up by two scores in any of those games, the final drives didn't matter. Instead we never got a two possession lead in any of those close games. Do I have to go through Stanzi's second half at OSU, NW, Minn?

With the way JVB played last year, and if he had the 2009 defense, I would venture to say we don't lose a game. I would have liked to see Stanzi finish that run, but if you asked me which of the two QB's had the best JR year...it's not even close. Stanzi led the country in bonehead interceptions.

I think the thing that was out of JVB's hands that hurt him was the WR drops. We lead the B1G in drops. I'm sure it didn't help having a TE like Herman who drops balls like Dr Dre drops F-bombs...

Maybe this can change if Vandy learns to vary his delivery. Now, every pass comes in like a Nolan Ryan fastball.

With the way JVB played last year, and if he had the 2009 defense, I would venture to say we don't lose a game. I would have liked to see Stanzi finish that run, but if you asked me which of the two QB's had the best JR year...it's not even close. Stanzi led the country in bonehead interceptions.

Very good points. JVB had the better JR year statistically especially TD-INT ratio. Overall Stanzi could throw to smaller windows and I think was more accurate throughout a game.

Stanzi made great progress as a SR in TD-INT ration and if JVB can improve on his weaknesses, occasional wildness, holding the ball, staring down receivers and not going to other reads, not reading blitzes, then JVB can have a great SR season.

JVB had 3020 yrds 25 td's to 7 int's for a jr 1st year starter
STanzi as a sr had 3004 yrds 25 td's to 6 int's as a 3 year starter
not much difference in stats
and yeah i blame the defense for giving up the last minute drives for game winning drives, that same defense was responsible for not allowing Stanzi to get that 2 TD lead
i love how people give the credit for winning game to the defense when Stanzi led the team to a last game winning drive, then turn around and put the Blame on Stanzi for not getting enough points so the defense could fail to stop the other team.
and i also find it amusing how fans were clammering for JVB to start after the OSU game claming he was so much better than Stanzi,
Now those same fans are clammering for a different QB claiming JVB is a terrible QB,
this year we get a chance to see if Davis can improve a QB, and that KOK was the problem in developing QB'S

JVB had 3020 yrds 25 td's to 7 int's for a jr 1st year starter
STanzi as a sr had 3004 yrds 25 td's to 6 int's as a 3 year starter
not much difference in stats
and yeah i blame the defense for giving up the last minute drives for game winning drives, that same defense was responsible for not allowing Stanzi to get that 2 TD lead
i love how people give the credit for winning game to the defense when Stanzi led the team to a last game winning drive, then turn around and put the Blame on Stanzi for not getting enough points so the defense could fail to stop the other team.
and i also find it amusing how fans were clammering for JVB to start after the OSU game claming he was so much better than Stanzi,
Now those same fans are clammering for a different QB claiming JVB is a terrible QB,
this year we get a chance to see if Davis can improve a QB, and that KOK was the problem in developing QB'S

Oh, that's right...I forgot about all those points Ricky led us to in those last four games...Indiana 18, Northwestern 17, Ohio State 17, and of course Minnesota 17 (we scored 24, but DJK had a kickoff return...although I'm sure Stanzi told him to run it back). We were inept offensively in those games...remember Stanzi's interception against NW. Then the failure to get a first down after NW's 14 play drive, so we put our defense right back on the field. But Ricky was better in the Insight right? Oh wait, he was 4-11 with two interceptions in the second half of that game...until the pitch to our Reisner at the end of the game to seal it. RS had great numbers his Sr. year, but it didn't tell the whole story of that year. I can't believe people blame the defense for those losses. Weren't they still top 10 defense or so?

People need to get a clue about JVB, the guy didn't play poorly for a first year starter...in fact he exceeded my expectations. Alot of QB's struggled against MSU, Penn State and Nebraska's defenses.

Why the bizarre meltdowns last year?

He's been in the program long enough and has taken enough snaps.

Any former QBs on the board who could opine?

Why did he pull the Christensen act with balls in the ground, balls sailing over heads, and eating the ball so much?

Just asking.

There's an "it" factor that great quarterbacks possess under pressure.

Vandenberg doesn't possess it.

Oh, that's right...I forgot about all those points Ricky led us to in those last four games...Indiana 18, Northwestern 17, Ohio State 17, and of course Minnesota 17 (we scored 24, but DJK had a kickoff return...although I'm sure Stanzi told him to run it back). We were inept offensively in those games...remember Stanzi's interception against NW. Then the failure to get a first down after NW's 14 play drive, so we put our defense right back on the field. But Ricky was better in the Insight right? Oh wait, he was 4-11 with two interceptions in the second half of that game...until the pitch to our Reisner at the end of the game to seal it. RS had great numbers his Sr. year, but it didn't tell the whole story of that year. I can't believe people blame the defense for those losses. Weren't they still top 10 defense or so?

People need to get a clue about JVB, the guy didn't play poorly for a first year starter...in fact he exceeded my expectations. Alot of QB's struggled against MSU, Penn State and Nebraska's defenses.

so which is it poor play by Stanzi or poor play calling by KOK, or is it that some of the dropped passes by the wr were the fault OF Stanzi, for his poor play and yet defend JVB because of all the drops by the WR, and yeah the defense gave up to many last minute game winning drives that they didn't do the previous year.
its amazing how you twist things to suit your arguement, give credit to the D when the team wins by ignoreing the game winning scores by Stanzi, and blame stanzi for the losses when the D gave up game winning scores
sorry throwing for 3000+ yards 25 TD's and 6 and 7 INT'S are not #'s of a bad QB let alone a poor one.
in both season the D was not there like it has been in the past

Final passing efficiency ratings had Vandy at #41 in the country,just behind #39 Denard Robinson of Michigan. That had Vandy 5th in the league behind Wilson,Persa,Cousins,and Robinson. Only Robinson is back,so that leaves Vandy as the #2 returning QB in the league,and leading yardage passer returning.

Take away the dropped passes(most in the league) and Vandy is probably to 20 in passer ratings and 2nd or 3rd in the league.

Vandy was a first year QB, which always will result in some experience-related mistakes. He was way down the list of problem areas for Iowa last year or next. I expect him to be the best passer in the league this year,and that is not average.

my next question is if the defense does get the job done, who are you going to play the blame game with, JVB, because he was a bad QB or maybe the new OC Davis?

Final passing efficiency ratings had Vandy at #41 in the country,just behind #39 Denard Robinson of Michigan. That had Vandy 5th in the league behind Wilson,Persa,Cousins,and Robinson. Only Robinson is back,so that leaves Vandy as the #2 returning QB in the league,and leading yardage passer returning.

Take away the dropped passes(most in the league) and Vandy is probably to 20 in passer ratings and 2nd or 3rd in the league.

Vandy was a first year QB, which always will result in some experience-related mistakes. He was way down the list of problem areas for Iowa last year or next. I expect him to be the best passer in the league this year,and that is not average.

finally someone that actually understands QB play

finally someone that actually understands QB play

I gotta agree, anyone that can understand that JVB ranked lower than Denard Robinson, who is a mediocre passing QB at best, in passing efficiency last year and extrapolate that into JVB being an above average QB really knows how to break down QB play.

Yep, because James was the only one in league or nation to have his passes dropped. Other than that your extrapolation skills are uncanny.

Latest posts