What is it with this team’s obsession with outside noise...

What Bohannon says is true. The negative fans are blown out of proportion.

But what is also true, is that minority of negative fans have become a very large minority because of the way Jordan and his team mates have played the last month and especially the last three games.

Apparently they're not watching video so a look at themselves in the mirror would be the next best thing.

It’s hard to blame them when the grown ups (Fran and Barta) create countless unneeded distractions for the team all season long. Fran not being there these last 2 games and his suspension unfortunately couldn’t have gone worse and it’s 100 % on him.
I agree the Fran stuff is 100% on Fran, but this team has now shown they can’t hang in the B1G. They’re just not good enough to last down the stretch and they only have one quality conference win. I won’t argue for or against that Michigan win being a fluke because that conversation would be a distraction to the main point, which is that there’s some back bone lacking here.

I think there’s enough games and a good enough sample size by now that they just don’t have it. After watching the game last night (zero hustle, zero urgency, and just a complete turtle-up) that they just don’t have the guts to battle when their backs are against the wall. If you take a team with overall below average talent that has hustle and tenacity you can do something with it. If you have a group that just totally quits like they did last night and basically takes an “oh well” attitude, you’re done.

Fran is a part of this collapse because of factors that go beyond his outbursts and suspension, but in no way is it all on coaching. There is a lot of mental softness here. (Unless you blame Fran for not recruiting kids who can compete at a high level in the Big Ten, which is a valid point).

Don’t want fans to be negative? They play like you give a crap. Fans won’t mind the losses so much if you are out there hustling and playing hard.

Fryowa is right....when this team has its back against the wall, they quit. Other teams buckle down and play harder.

You guys will get no arguments from me today - NONE. Unfortunately I have tickets and will be watching this team play live the rest of the regular season and B1G tournament. Boy am I excited.

It just floors me that after getting your teeth kicked in for three consecutive games this is what these guys talk about.

This isn’t the first occasion I’ve brought this up but the mindset of this team is simply unprecedented for me seeing in the sports world (for an entire team).

They are in it for admiration over anything. They aren’t in it for eachother or for being the best team they can be or for their university, they are in it so they can be admired. They want to be liked, they want to troll people (opponents) on twitter when things are going good, but when things are going bad they can’t take the heat.

It is very strange.

You guys will get no arguments from me today - NONE. Unfortunately I have tickets and will be watching this team play live the rest of the regular season and B1G tournament. Boy am I excited.
I thought my mere presence at the Kohl Center would knock some sense into these guys but I was wrong, hopefully you have better luck in Lincoln.

It’s hard to blame them when the grown ups (Fran and Barta) create countless unneeded distractions for the team all season long. Fran not being there these last 2 games and his suspension unfortunately couldn’t have gone worse and it’s 100 % on him.

Come to think of it, Fran prolly drew up plans that assured failure while he was out. Makes him appear indispensable, I guess...

It just floors me that after getting your teeth kicked in for three consecutive games this is what these guys talk about.

This isn’t the first occasion I’ve brought this up but the mindset of this team is simply unprecedented for me seeing in the sports world (for an entire team).

They are in it for admiration over anything. They aren’t in it for eachother or for being the best team they can be or for their university, they are in it so they can be admired. They want to be liked, they want to troll people (opponents) on twitter when things are going good, but when things are going bad they can’t take the heat.

It is very strange.
This team reminds me of a player that I coached. He never seemed to play with the kind of energy and urgency that I thought he should. I tried every which way to explain it to him but he kept insisting that he played as hard as he could. Then one game he was struggling on offense and it got to the point where he missed a run out lay up. He got really pissed at himself and his energy level tripled for the next 2 or 3 minutes. He locked down on defense, hustled for every rebound/loose ball, cut hard. It was exactly what I knew he could give on every play, if he set his mind to it. The next practice, I pulled him aside and showed him that sequence of events on video. I showed him how he could play when properly, mentally motivated. He admitted that he was pissed off and my response was "you need to learn how to play pissed off all the time". The next tournament, he reverted right back to his usual ways. Even with video evidence, he wouldn't embrace the facts. And he never did. Had the tools to play D3 at least but he never played after high school.
Nice kid though. Good student. He'll get a degree on his own dime and do fine. Probably playing hero ball in some YMCA gym every night.

This team reminds me of a player that I coached. He never seemed to play with the kind of energy and urgency that I thought he should. I tried every which way to explain it to him but he kept insisting that he played as hard as he could. Then one game he was struggling on offense and it got to the point where he missed a run out lay up. He got really pissed at himself and his energy level tripled for the next 2 or 3 minutes. He locked down on defense, hustled for every rebound/loose ball, cut hard. It was exactly what I knew he could give on every play, if he set his mind to it. The next practice, I pulled him aside and showed him that sequence of events on video. I showed him how he could play when properly, mentally motivated. He admitted that he was pissed off and my response was "you need to learn how to play pissed off all the time". The next tournament, he reverted right back to his usual ways. Even with video evidence, he wouldn't embrace the facts. And he never did. Had the tools to play D3 at least but he never played after high school.
Nice kid though. Good student. He'll get a degree on his own dime and do fine. Probably playing hero ball in some YMCA gym every night.
I will in no shape argue that Fran is a good fundamental coach because I don’t think he is, but part of me wonders if Tyler Cook is partially just uncoachable.

I mentioned in a couple threads yesterday, it’s really unfortunate for both Fran and Iowa that the best out of state recruit they’ve landed (on paper) in Cook, came in with such a horrendous basketball IQ and shaky effort.

As we know he grew up playing with a future NBA Star and several other D1 guys. He never really learned to play basketball the right way he just ran around trying to add to his highlight video.

Flash forward to Iowa and based on sheer talent alone he is Iowa’s second best player as a freshman, so he played big minutes and Iowa needed him. Fran wasn’t nearly as hard on him as he should have been to teach him how to play defense the right way in those early years, but at the same time I’m not sure that basketball IQ can really be “taught” in certain cases. I think for a lot of guys their basketball IQ is just an innate trait. Just sad to see such a waste of talent imo.

I will add I think Tyler is a very nice kid and he’s worked very hard to improve, he just isn’t focusing on the right areas. He’s one of these kids who had so many people around him telling him how great he was and how he was going to the NBA he just never really learned how hard you need to play on a consistent basis to be great.

I will in no shape argue that Fran is a good fundamental coach because I don’t think he is, but part of me wonders if Tyler Cook is partially just uncoachable.

I mentioned in a couple threads yesterday, it’s really unfortunate for both Fran and Iowa that the best out of state recruit they’ve landed (on paper) in Cook, came in with such a horrendous basketball IQ and shaky effort.

As we know he grew up playing with a future NBA Star and several other D1 guys. He never really learned to play basketball the right way he just ran around trying to add to his highlight video.

Flash forward to Iowa and based on sheer talent alone he is Iowa’s second best player as a freshman, so he played big minutes and Iowa needed him. Fran wasn’t nearly as hard on him as he should have been to teach him how to play defense the right way in those early years, but at the same time I’m not sure that basketball IQ can really be “taught” in certain cases. I think for a lot of guys their basketball IQ is just an innate trait. Just sad to see such a waste of talent imo.

I will add I think Tyler is a very nice kid and he’s worked very hard to improve, he just isn’t focusing on the right areas. He’s one of these kids who had so many people around him telling him how great he was and how he was going to the NBA he just never really learned how hard you need to play on a consistent basis to be great.
I think many of these players are uncoachable. Go down the list. Name one of these players that have effectively changed one of their weaknesses into a strength? Or even a usable skill? How many of these players are noticeably quicker? Stronger? How many of these guys can get to the rim in their 3rd season, that couldn't as a FR? How many of them are taking better shots now, than they did as FR? They came in as incomplete players and they'll go out as incomplete players. That's some combination of coaching and player.

I think Cook is an extremely quick kid who has extremely slow reaction time. It's a rare combination but he has it.

I think many of these players are uncoachable. Go down the list. Name one of these players that have effectively changed one of their weaknesses into a strength? Or even a usable skill? How many of these players are noticeably quicker? Stronger? How many of these guys can get to the rim in their 3rd season, that couldn't as a FR? How many of them are taking better shots now, than they did as FR? They came in as incomplete players and they'll go out as incomplete players. That's some combination of coaching and player.
That what makes the past two and one half weeks even more frustrating. They had shown signs, for three fourths of the conference season, that they had turned the corner on many of the things we call Fran on. They were hitting buzzer beaters, winnong close games, getting the critical stops, executing the critical offensive sets, being the tougher team in hostile venues. I was more thrlled for those January/first half of February wins than I usually am, because of the way they were winning them. What happened to that team? How can they revert back so far, so fast? That's the real question that needs to be answered. And can they get their mojo back in time?

That what makes the past two and one half weeks even more frustrating. They had shown signs, for three fourths of the conference season, that they had turned the corner on many of the things we call Fran on. They were hitting buzzer beaters, winnong close games, getting the critical stops, executing the critical offensive sets, being the tougher team in hostile venues. I was more thrlled for those January/first half of February wins than I usually am, because of the way they were winning them. What happened to that team? How can they revert back so far, so fast? That's the real question that needs to be answered. And can they get their mojo back in time?

I think there might be something deeper going on in regards to the King Kong stuff. I honestly wonder if it splintered the team somehow. How else do you explain it?

It's possible. I think they're worn out. They look worn out. I think the pre-season S&C coaches and workout routine need to be scrapped. I don't see the same energy in this team that I saw in the first 20 games of the season. I'd be more inclined to believe that theory than the "players have quit" theory. But who knows?

The fact that this was his concern after another just awful effort on the team's part tells me he isn't focusing on the right stuff. Screw the fans opinions. How about playing for some self respect?