What is "better next year" to you?

If there are, what, 68 teams that qualify for a invitation to the Big Dance...then a team that isn't invited would still be one of the best 69-300 teams in the country...that's a pretty good season. That's why it is so tough to coach at Iowa, so many unhappy fans even after a good season. Who would want to coach with so many upset fans?

At least the AD would love you...

legit pg play. i really believe that is our gaping hole. if CM can fill that, then top 5 B1G finish and NCAA.
This team is laughably horrible on defense at all positions, not just at guard. By far and away the worst defense in the B1G and that’s not conjecture, it’s statistically true.

There’s no fixing that over the course of one summer.

If there are, what, 68 teams that qualify for a invitation to the Big Dance...then a team that isn't invited would still be one of the best 69-300 teams in the country...that's a pretty good season. That's why it is so tough to coach at Iowa, so many unhappy fans even after a good season. Who would want to coach with so many upset fans?

You should put “#sarcasm” on your post for the less receptive around here.

Like me.

This team is laughably horrible on defense at all positions, not just at guard. By far and away the worst defense in the B1G and that’s not conjecture, it’s statistically true.

There’s no fixing that over the course of one summer.

because we can't stop dribble penetration, our bigs and wings are always helping and; therefore, are always leaving their man or area; which opens up a man or a spot on the floor to be wide open. Our bigs man defense is good, but when they have to leave their man all of the time to help, our lane becomes wide open.

remember when Iowa was in the NCAA Tournament year in and out? Now it's like we are lucky to make it at all.

Oh to go back to those days when on Big Dance Sunday...we could discuss/complain about seeding, regionals, chances to make the final four. That was, Iowa, wasn't it?

Or worst case...complain about or talk about how the NIT is the oldest tournament and good for next year!

"I've Got a Secret Barta" has changed things...

I'd like to see Fran finally admit the problem is with the (lack of) defense, instead of delusionally saying, over and over, that the problem is with the offense.
There is not one legit coach or basketball analyst that will agree that the problem is with offense.

Odd question to answer, I guess "better" would be an above .500 record and qualify for the NIT but it wouldn't feel satisfying. NCAA tournament should be the expectation, this season was inexcusable without a true point guard.

Semblance of team chemistry, minimum break even in conference, no real high hopes I guess

I see comments in threads like this all the time:

"Hopefully we'll be better next year..."
"Its one down year, after Fran pulled us out of the gutter. We'll be better next year."
"This is clearly a rebuilding year and the only real step back for Fran so far. We'll be better next year."

Well, what is better. Right now we're 3-11, 12-15. We have 4 games left not counting the B1G tournament. We could lose all 4 but best case in my mind is we win 2.

So lets's say we end up 5-13, 14-17. Obviously 6-12 next year is better but I don't think that's what people really are willing to accept. Evey the Pollyanna apologists seem like they're going to expect more.

I've said in other threads, we need to make the actual tournament next year - not a play in game, if we make the play-in we need to win and actually be in. So what needs to happen next year for you to consider this team better?

Are you kidding me? You wouldn't take us being in the play-in game next year? After watching the awfulness of this team, you could sign me up for us making the play-in game next year because that would represent dramatic improvement.

NCAA or bust - period. If not, Iowa needs to find a new coach.
I listen to Dan Patricks show when I can. He's maintained for quite awhile now that getting into the dance should be the floor for good programs. If your not dancing you need to find a coach that will. I get his overarching point that with so many teams getting in that it's harder to not make it then to get in. The BIG gets like 7 teams in most of the time every year right? Sometimes less just depending. But finishing in the top half of the league shouldn't be too much to ask at Iowa....
That said it won't be a given that Iowa does it. We have a lot of teams to leap frog and my Nostradomus skills are toast. I thought Iowa would be about 5th in the league this year prior to the season starting.. The only team I pretty much nailed was Wisconsin. I thought they'd drop quite a bit even though most thought they'd still be a top 6 team. But beyond that I was pretty much way off.... Like OSU I didn't see that coming.

I listen to Dan Patricks show when I can. He's maintained for quite awhile now that getting into the dance should be the floor for good programs. If your not dancing you need to find a coach that will. I get his overarching point that with so many teams getting in that it's harder to not make it then to get in. The BIG gets like 7 teams in most of the time every year right? Sometimes less just depending. But finishing in the top half of the league shouldn't be too much to ask at Iowa....
That said it won't be a given that Iowa does it. We have a lot of teams to leap frog and my Nostradomus skills are toast. I thought Iowa would be about 5th in the league this year prior to the season starting.. The only team I pretty much nailed was Wisconsin. I thought they'd drop quite a bit even though most thought they'd still be a top 6 team. But beyond that I was pretty much way off.... Like OSU I didn't see that coming.

Who saw Minnesota or Northwestern taking those big step backs? Or how bout Nebraska suddenly in the mix? It's tough to project.

Who saw Minnesota or Northwestern taking those big step backs? Or how bout Nebraska suddenly in the mix? It's tough to project.
Exactly. Heck I kinda thought Purdue was going to drop a little having lost their big guy from last yr Swanigan. They lost the best player in the league and are still a top 2 or 3 team. I didn't think they'd do that either. However Iowa loses our best player with everyone else returning pretty much and fall off a cliff...

Latest posts