What is "better next year" to you?

Fran's nearing 60 and still doesn't know how to coach defense or cut his rotation. We're losing Uhl and adding Weiskamp and CM, I can't wait to play 14 guys next year so that Cook is limited to 15-20 minutes.

I see comments in threads like this all the time:

"Hopefully we'll be better next year..."
"Its one down year, after Fran pulled us out of the gutter. We'll be better next year."
"This is clearly a rebuilding year and the only real step back for Fran so far. We'll be better next year."

Well, what is better. Right now we're 3-11, 12-15. We have 4 games left not counting the B1G tournament. We could lose all 4 but best case in my mind is we win 2.

So lets's say we end up 5-13, 14-17. Obviously 6-12 next year is better but I don't think that's what people really are willing to accept. Evey the Pollyanna apologists seem like they're going to expect more.

I've said in other threads, we need to make the actual tournament next year - not a play in game, if we make the play-in we need to win and actually be in. So what needs to happen next year for you to consider this team better?

There is no such thing as "play-in" game. They "changed" it.

To me, it's pretty simple. NCAA at minimum. But...things can happen, like injuries, etc. Should the Hawks only make the NIT, it BETTER be because the starting five were absent the last 10 regular season games plus the B1G Tournament.

Three years without an NCAA bid, as mentioned elsewhere, is really bad, historically, for this program. That's Alford/Lickliter territory although, in Alford's defense, he at least reached "postseason". And frankly, Alford's history in the B1G Tournament is light years better than Fran's (a whopping two wins, I believe).

You sound more confident than I.

Not so much "confidence" as "perception of reality". I find it hard to believe Barta won't get phone calls from certain people if the Hawks are sitting at 12-11 in February and Fran has been tossed the night before for a "blow-up". That phone on Barta's desk will see some action.

Not so much "confidence" as "perception of reality". I find it hard to believe Barta won't get phone calls from certain people if the Hawks are sitting at 12-11 in February and Fran has been tossed the night before for a "blow-up". That phone on Barta's desk will see some action.

I guess I don't know who really pulls the strings.
Wouldn't these same people have a say in this latest extension?

A better record won't take much. I think an average defensive team next year will add 8 to 10 wins with the returning guys. Now add in 3 quality players...including CM since he's been hurt/sick all season.

My expectation for next year is 2 non conference losses or less and no worse than 12-6 in the conference. I expect us to make it to Saturday of the BTT and the 2nd weekend of the NCAA.

I believe Cook, Bohannon and Wieskamp (All Freshmen Team) have a legitimate chance at 1st or 2nd Team All Conference...if they all stay healthy.

We play 20 conference games next year, not 18. Our non-conference will most likely be Oregon, UConn/Syracuse, ACC opponent, Big East opponent, ISU, UNI and five cupcakes. I don't see us losing less than 3 there, and realistically, we could lose 4 or 5. It's possible we don't play in both ACC and Gavitt, but either way the non-conference will be tougher than this season. I'd say 8-3 non-conference and 10-10 conference is best case scenario. Too much talent returning in conference to make that big a move, especially with the slightly more balanced schedule. You have to assume we'll play MSU twice for instance, we've only played them once each of the past two. I can't see an NCAA tourney appearance based off that record.

We play 20 conference games next year, not 18. Our non-conference will most likely be Oregon, UConn/Syracuse, ACC opponent, Big East opponent, ISU, UNI and five cupcakes. I don't see us losing less than 3 there, and realistically, we could lose 4 or 5. It's possible we don't play in both ACC and Gavitt, but either way the non-conference will be tougher than this season. I'd say 8-3 non-conference and 10-10 conference is best case scenario. Too much talent returning in conference to make that big a move, especially with the slightly more balanced schedule. You have to assume we'll play MSU twice for instance, we've only played them once each of the past two. I can't see an NCAA tourney appearance based off that record.
So if we're already not making the dance next year, why are we sitting on essentially a lame duck coach?

Then I will simply say 22-9 and an NCAA lock going into the BTT is my expectation.

Latest posts