What if Wisky goes 12-0 and misses out on NC Game?

Well? Wisky's resume isn't going to be all that impressive at 13-0, especially if they get a rematch with Nebraska in the CCG and blow them away again. Oklahoma and LSU/Bama will definitely have better resumes at 13-0 or even 12-1.

I don't see why everyone is so testy about ISU fans saying as much. It's the truth.

There is basically one spot in the NC game open.

The winner of the SEC Championship (even with 1 loss is going to be ranked higher than any undefeated team outside of Oklahoma) has one spot locked up right now unless it has two losses.

Then it comes down to the best non SEC team. Right now it looks like Oklahoma, OSU, Clemson, & Wisconsin.

Good grief, can we let the season play out before we make pronouncements like these? There are about a million scenarios where the SEC champion does not make the title game-- especially if, as you note, the SEC champion has two losses. Considering that the top 4 teams in the East already have at least one loss, this isn't exactly a far-fetched scenario. The West is loaded, yes, but they all have to play each other. I'm just not seeing multiple undefeated or even one-loss teams coming out of that bloodbath, nor am I willing to hand Wisconsin a 13-0 record right now. We've played one conference game. Let's keep the pistols holstered for awhile.

It is kinda funny... I have read the three pages of responses and have seen maybe 2-3 responses that actually had anything to do with the OP's actual question (and one of the responses was "No...").

I don't think that Wisky losing out on the NC game in this scenario pushes Delaney to do anything on the superconferences front. In the end, it is all about the dollars. Is losing out on the NC game in one down year, but still making a BCS game (plus having another B1G team in a BCS game potentially) going to dilute the revenue of the conference compared to bringing in 2-4 more teams that will certainly dilute the revenue of each team in the conference for the foreseeable future? Unless B1G expansion was limited to 2 teams and those teams were Texas/ND and they agreed to share all revenue equally which I don't see happening.

Will losing out on the NC game diminish the brand enough to force Delany to push for superconferences/playoff? Short term it will take a minor hit, but medium/long term no.

It is a great question, but I don't think this forces Delaney to do anything plus we are along ways away from this scenario playing out. I am still hoping that the Hawks beat Wisky in the B1G CG :).

Last edited:
I would love to see a NC game that did not involve any of the SEC schools. Give me Stanford vs Wisconsin, Stanford vs OU, or Wisconsin vs OU. The meltdown on ESPN would be awesome!

It is kinda funny... I have read the three pages of responses and have seen maybe 2-3 responses that actually had anything to do with the OP's actual question (and one of the responses was "No...").

I don't think that Wisky losing out on the NC game in this scenario pushes Delaney to do anything on the superconferences front. In the end, it is all about the dollars. Is losing out on the NC game in one down year, but still making a BCS game (plus having another B1G team in a BCS game potentially) going to dilute the revenue of the conference compared to bringing in 2-4 more teams that will certainly dilute the revenue of each team in the conference for the foreseeable future? Unless B1G expansion was limited to 2 teams and those teams were Texas/ND and they agreed to share all revenue equally which I don't see happening.

Will losing out on the NC game diminish the brand enough to force Delany to push for superconferences/playoff? Short term it will take a minor hit, but medium/long term no.

It is a great question, but I don't think this forces Delaney to do anything plus we are along ways away from this scenario playing out. I am still hoping that the Hawks beat Wisky in the B1G CG :).

Gotta love the evolution of threads around here... There's another place in this country where a lot of talking/arguing gets done, yet nothing gets answered/accomplished.......is it possible there's congressmen involved here????

Good grief, can we let the season play out before we make pronouncements like these? There are about a million scenarios where the SEC champion does not make the title game-- especially if, as you note, the SEC champion has two losses. Considering that the top 4 teams in the East already have at least one loss, this isn't exactly a far-fetched scenario. The West is loaded, yes, but they all have to play each other. I'm just not seeing multiple undefeated or even one-loss teams coming out of that bloodbath, nor am I willing to hand Wisconsin a 13-0 record right now. We've played one conference game. Let's keep the pistols holstered for awhile.

The SEC has won the past 6 titles. A 1-loss SEC team will get in over an undefeated Wisky team. The SEC gets far too much respect for any other result to happen in that scenario. And I don't have too much trouble seeing an undefeated or 1-loss SEC champ. They produce such a team almost every year (2005 and 2007 being the recent exceptions).

HOW FREAKING SAD ARE YOU! SERIOUSLY! THIS IS A BIG TEN SPORTS FORUM. WHY THE HELL ARE YOU CLONE FANS EVEN ON HERE? ANY SELF-RESPECTING FAN OF A CONFERENCE WOULD NOT GO ON SOME FAN SIGHT OF A TEAM FROM A CONFERENCE THEY DON'T BELONG TO AND THEN FIND A THREAD ABOUT THAT SAME CONFERENCE THEY DON'T BELONG IN.

YOU MUST BE THE SADDEST FREAKING PEOPLE ON THE PLANET.

First, it's site, not sight. Second, I am a fan of both ISU and Iowa, and I enjoy reading about both schools. I enjoy both conferences and am in the footprint of both. There are a great many Hawk fans that enjoy the same. If anybody has a problem here it is apparently you.

I find it funny that Nebraska was a great team in the big 12 last year and this year they suck because the got destroyed by the best team in th Big 10. The Big 10 may be down this year, but when was the last time that happened. By the end of the year if Wisconsin wins out they will most likely be the only undefeated team. I expect everyone to have at least 1 loss.

A 1-loss Alabama or LSU will be more deserving than a 13-0 Wisconsin. Wisconsin wouldn't be 13-0 if they played in the SEC.

The SEC is typically a step above the Big 10 when it comes to Elite teams. This year the SEC is head and shoulders above the Big 10 when it comes to Elite teams.

Last edited:
Its got to just come down to just that. If you dont beat Quote UnQuote top 25 teams you arent going to look like you played anyone. It doesnt help that teams in the big 10 keep beating there conference buddies right out of the top 25. I think wiskys only hope even if they do go undefeated is they need to really put it to everyone. Just keep running up that score, sure you beat a top 25 team but we beat most of our teams guy 45 points. Top that kind of thing. Bama does look very good this year, there almost a lock for the NC game.

Its got to just come down to just that. If you dont beat Quote UnQuote top 25 teams you arent going to look like you played anyone. It doesnt help that teams in the big 10 keep beating there conference buddies right out of the top 25. I think wiskys only hope even if they do go undefeated is they need to really put it to everyone. Just keep running up that score, sure you beat a top 25 team but we beat most of our teams guy 45 points. Top that kind of thing. Bama does look very good this year, there almost a lock for the NC game.

I am not sure they can beat LSU. But we will see. Also, they will need to worry about Auburn. They have enough weapons to be dangerous.

This is a moot point. Wisconsin is not that good and will have at least 2 losses by the end of the season.

Book it. Their defense will be exposed by good passing teams.

This is a moot point. Wisconsin is not that good and will have at least 2 losses by the end of the season.

Book it. Their defense will be exposed by good passing teams.

I don't think their defense is all that good, either. But I'm not sure that it will cost them any games in the Big Ten this year. There is no defense that I've seen to this point that can hold them back, that is paired with an offense who can outscore them.

Ohio State's offense is DREADFUL, and may not get much better in the near future (possible extension on Herron and Posey suspensions). Michigan State has just not looked impressive at all, and their front four is good, but the back 7 will get shredded by Wisky's offense.

Illinois is probably their best chance to lose before the CCG. Expecting them to lose AT LEAST 2 games by the end of the season is little more than wishful thinking.

Here is their schedule and my prediction, for what it is worth:

Indiana WIN
At Michigan State LOSS (msu VERY TOUGH at home)
At Ohio State WIN, BUT NO SURE THING (OSU defense will shut them down)
Purdue WIN
At Minnesota WIN
At Illinois LOSS
Penn State WIN

Illinois is going to the championship game, not Wisky. Wisconsin has not played ANYONE yet. Nebraska is a 3 or 4 loss team.

You guys are annointing them National Champs after a home victory against a very average, overrated and overhyped Nebraska team. We'll see what happens when they go on the road - whole different situation.

You guys are annointing them National Champs after a home victory against a very average, overrated and overhyped Nebraska team. We'll see what happens when they go on the road - whole different situation.

Nobody has anointed them national champs in this thread. Big Ten Champs, yes. But almost no one thinks they are better than OU/LSU/Bama.

I don't think anyone in the Big Ten shuts down this offense. Slow it down, sure. But the team with the defense that's best equipped to do so (Ohio State) has such an anemic offense that they have little chance of winning the game.

The Big Ten is not strong this year, but part of that perception comes from losing to ISU. Iowa, like it or not, is typically one of the stronger teams in the conference. A loss to ISU automatically means Iowa is not a strong team in the nations eyes (whether that's right or wrong). That is not a compliment ISU fans.

Latest posts